NHL Head Coaching Carousel

Brewin Flames

On 4/30/2024 at 2:10 AM, Brewin Flames said:

I guess the players in said locker room felt different, at least that's what the street rumor is....

Many players stated during exit interviews that they were not willing to continue to play for this organization as long as he was still head coach.

It's possible, but this also came out today:

I have no idea, of course.

Eberle wasn't struggling for ice time.  He had no reason to be unhappy.  But perhaps younger players weren't so happy?  

Either way, I think we knew Hakstol probably wasn't going to be a 5-6 year head coach in Seattle from when he started.  

I think they will make a big move to go for Rod Brind'Amour and if they can't snag him I think Dean Evason maybe gets the opportunity.  Dan Bylsma is also a fair possibility given his work in Coachella Valley.  But that's just an outsider's perspective on it.  

That's my point.  He was a vets first kind of coach.  Where young kids feel blocked out or unvalued.  And since you hope those players lead some day; perhaps Ron Francis decided not to let that get any worse.  

Either way, like most coaches, Dave Hakstol has a shelf-life.  It might go well for a bit, but then it will sour and you'll send him on his way.  

Hired to be fired...same for just about all head coaches in pro sports.  

Somehow, Hakstol paid for the fact that Seattle came back to normal. On the other I agree: I didn't think we would be the coach for many years. Not in a team that can barely make the postseason.

I don't really bite into these allegations of players wanting him gone. If yes, who could be asking that? In a team without any superstar or dominant player, I don't see anyone having leverage to do that. Not to mention the few kids like Beniers and Wright who haven't proven anything yet. Some players complaining about their ice-time? Seattle has always praised a system with four equal lines playing more or less the same... So I really don't know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He was a vets first kind of coach.  Where young kids feel blocked out or unvalued. 

Right, but there were three "kids" on the team.

Beniers averaged 17:17 ice time

Evans averaged 19 minutes in 36 games.

I'm mainly asking who "the kids" that went to the GM and said they wouldn't skate for Hakstol again were?

Tye Kartye got 11 or so and did play some on the top line in the playoffs last season. That said, how much clout does his 20 points in 77 games give him in firing a coach?

There's obviously a lot more here than a few kids being upset with their ice time.

• Like 1

Ten coaches sacked this year.

Some available:

Dave Hakstol

Craig Berube

Todd Reirdon

Todd McLellan

Dean Evenson/Bob Wood 

Hiring:

Seattle

Ottawa

San Jose

Winnipeg (?)

Toronto?

6 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Ten coaches sacked this year.

Some available:

Dave Hakstol

Craig Berube

Todd Reirdon

Todd McLellan

Dean Evenson/Bob Wood 

Hiring:

Seattle

Ottawa

San Jose

Winnipeg (?)

Toronto?

What percentage do you figure have jobs by the end of next season?

Posted (edited)

Another NHL coaching job is open.

Rick Bowness just announced his retirement in Winnipeg. Bowness, 69, was head coach in six NHL organizations.

Current Jets assistant Scott Arnel, a former Winnipeg player, is an assistant coach and definite candidate for promotion.

Winnipeg had best defensive team during regular season but was undone in the  playoff by the Avs.

Dave Hakstol, (former Seattle, Philadelphia) was once player coach of Manitoba Moose in old IHL....

Edited by Icechipper

54 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Another NHL coaching job is open.

Rick Bowness just announced his retirement in Winnipeg. Bowness, 69, was head coach in six NHL organizations.

Good move. His wife was pretty ill recently, and he missed some time for that. He's 69 and made some good money in hockey. Time to go home.

I still have a bittersweet taste about Bowness. The bubble run in 2020 was really nice when he took over head coach duties after the Montgomery firing, but the rest was often mind-boggling and frustrating. He never took any responsabilities when thing went wrong, it was always on the players and he had this bad habit to throw them under the bus. Seeing him in love with grit fourth line players like Comeau and Faksa drove me nuts several times.

It's a bit severe but Alexandre Daigle called him an "outdated" coach not later than yesterday and he was right. Still stuck in the early 2000s and he struggled to be proactive and didn't really evolved with the game. I guess Winnipeg players (especially Scheifele) are very happy to send him their best wishes for his retirement.

• Like 2

Senators hire Travis Green as new coach through 2027-28 season

• shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen Shilton, ESPN NHL reporterMay 7, 2024, 12:14 PM ET

The Ottawa Senators hired Travis Green to a four-year contract to serve as head coach through the 2027-28 season, it was announced Tuesday.

He is expected to be formally introduced during a news conference in Ottawa on Wednesday.

"After speaking to several highly qualified candidates, it became clear that Travis is the right fit to lead our group," Senators president of hockey operations Steve Staios said in a statement. "As we've routinely stated, developing a winning culture is paramount to our aspiration of achieving sustained success.

Travis has a burning desire to win, is passionate about teaching and holds his players to a very high standard."

This will be Green's second time as a full-time NHL head coach. He goes to Ottawa with 141-159-35 coaching record, with one playoff appearance.

Green, 53, was previously promoted to the Vancouver Canucks' role in 2017 -- guiding the team to the postseason in 2020 -- before being fired in December 2021 after a 8-15-2 start to his fifth season.

Green joined the New Jersey Devils staff as an assistant coach for 2023-24 and was briefly the team's interim head coach after Lindy Ruff was fired in March. He guided the Devils to an 8-20-1 record as New Jersey failed to qualify for the postseason.

He succeeds interim head coach Jacques Martin, who took over the Senators' job after DJ Smith was fired in December with Ottawa at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings. Martin had been hired as a senior adviser just before Smith's firing, having ties in Ottawa dating to his original head-coaching tenure there from 1995-2004.

The Senators finished the 2023-24 season 37-41-4, seventh in the Atlantic Division.

• Good Post 1

10 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

Senators new hire is just...meh...

I loved Travis Green the hockey player, but you are 100% correct.

Travis Green the coach is just Meh.

• Like 1

Devils

Sharks

Kraken

Jets

All Vacant spots with the draft just over a month away....

I'm Guessing sometime soon Sheldon Keefe (Toronto) will be added to the list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

I'm Guessing sometime soon Sheldon Keefe (Toronto) will be is added to the list.

Didn't take long...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Math said:

Didn't take long...

Yup....

Maple Leafs fire coach Sheldon Keefe after first-round exit play

The Toronto Maple Leafs relieved Sheldon Keefe of head-coaching duties Thursday.

According to a statement from the club, a search for Keefe's replacement will begin immediately.

"Today's decision was difficult," Leafs general manager Brad Treliving said. "Sheldon is an excellent coach and a great man; however, we determined a new voice is needed to help the team push through to reach our ultimate goal. We thank Sheldon for his hard work and dedication to the organization over the last nine years, and wish him and his family all the very best."

No determination has been made about the rest of Toronto's coaching staff, which includes assistants Manny Malhotra, Dean Chynoweth and Guy Boucher.

Keefe has two years remaining on a contract extension Treliving signed him to in August, which doesn't officially kick in until the 2024-25 season.

In a video posted to social media on Thursday, Keefe thanked Maple Leafs' management past and present and said farewell to the fan base.

"I'm forever grateful for the opportunity to coach the Toronto Maple Leafs," said Keefe. "It was a dream come true for a boy from Brampton [Ontario]. I didn't get it done in the playoffs.

I didn't help push our team over the line and deliver. I accept responsibility for that. No excuses. That's the job. I didn't get it done. It's the reality of the business and I accept it. Anyone who suited up for blue and white, I appreciate you. The players and [Leafs'] support staff will drive the team to success. I believe it will win. Leafs Nation, you deserve your Stanley Cup."

Treliving is scheduled to meet with the media alongside president Brendan Shanahan and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment CEO Keith Pelley on Friday.

Keefe was promoted to Toronto's head-coaching role in November 2019 to replace the fired Mike Babcock. Keefe had previously been coach of the Leafs' American Hockey League affiliate, the Toronto Marlies, since 2015 and guided them to a Calder Cup championship in 2018.

Through 4½ NHL seasons, Keefe led the Leafs to a 212-97-40 record -- with consecutive seasons of 50 or more wins -- and playoff appearances in each full campaign. Toronto never found postseason success under Keefe, though, bowing out of the first round in three of the past four seasons, including in this year's first-round loss to Boston in Game 7 overtime.

This is the first major adjustment for Treliving since he joined Toronto's staff last May. Shanahan had parted ways with former GM Kyle Dubas -- who originally hired Keefe to replace Babcock after also bringing Keefe to the organization when he was GM of the Marlies' prior to that -- and introduced Treliving in the role shortly after.

Treliving opted to extend Keefe before last season began, touting Keefe's "clear vision and direction for where the team needs to go."

Now the hunt for Keefe's successor will get underway in what could be a busy offseason for the Leafs. Toronto has key skaters including Auston Matthews and William Nylander signed to long-term contracts. They want to capitalize on that core with success right now, particularly in the playoffs.

The other pieces of the Leafs' designated Core Four -- Mitch Marner and John Tavares -- will be entering the final year of their current deals this season. Both would be eligible to sign extensions in Toronto on July 1.

• Good Post 1

Posted (edited)

Leafs candidates:

Craig Berube (former St. Louis)

Dave Haskstol (fired Seattle coach was Leafs assistant)

Gerard Gallant

Todd McLellan

Bruce Boudreau

Dean Evanson

Guy Boucher

Jay Woodcraft

Joel Quenville (NHL would have say)

Edited by Icechipper

4 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Leafs candidates:

Craig Berube (former St. Louis)

Dave Haskstol (fired Seattle coach was Leafs assistant)

Gerard Gallant

Todd McLellan

Bruce Boudreau

Dean Evanson

Guy Boucher

Jay Woodcraft

Joel Quenville (NHL would have say)

Don't forget Sutter😂

• Uggh... 1

14 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Devils

Sharks

Kraken

Jets

All Vacant spots with the draft just over a month away....

I'm Guessing sometime soon Sheldon Keefe (Toronto) will be added to the list.

Good call👍