Game 57: Flyers at Panthers; 3/10/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

2 hours ago, Cookie said:

That is a damn shame. I never understood how a teams front office can have the mindset of aging players are the answer winning championships. It is good to have that one or two or maybe even three aging vets on the team, but the team must be built around the younger talent. 

Our GM thinks a team should be built around guys from Minnesota. Guys that can play hockey from Minnesota are his 2nd choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pretty unbelievable to say I thought Carter Hart played well last night knowing he gave up 5 while in the cage.

The only goal I thought was stoppable, and it was a hell of a shot, was Verhaughe's second goal but that was a grade A chance from just above the dot and he ****** ripped it.  I've seen Hart stop those before, occasionally. 

The tips and deflections and on the 5th goal bad luck are plays where there is nothing to be done. 

Keep fighting to the next day I guess.

I hope the fecklessness of the team in front of him doesn't ruin his psyche. 

pretty bad night for Philly sports teams, the Sixers looked terrible v a fired up Nets club and while Villanova won they had to come from 17 down in the second half to beat a very game St John's team.

That was the game I settled on, switching between the 3 games during the 7-8:15 window was quite dispiriting. 

Edited by mojo1917

Thinking about our steamrollered first period, a comparison came to mind.  Aaron Ekblad--first round, 2013; Sam Morin, first round, 2014.  The former has become best-of-breed. Morin--we will be lucky if he becomes a serviceable 3rd D-man....and I wonder if he is offered a contract next year.

We have seen Carolina, FL, and TB build powerhouses via draft and smart trades.  Can we do that?  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Thinking about our steamrollered first period, a comparison came to mind.  Aaron Ekblad--first round, 2013; Sam Morin, first round, 2014.  The former has become best-of-breed. Morin--we will be lucky if he becomes a serviceable 3rd D-man....and I wonder if he is offered a contract next year.

We have seen Carolina, FL, and TB build powerhouses via draft and smart trades.  Can we do that?  

Well first of all, Ekblad was a 1st overall pick who got exceptional status in junior hockey (meaning he could play as a 15 year old) whereas Morin went 11th overall and was always deemed a project. 

And second...ahh, I got nothin'!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well first of all, Ekblad was a 1st overall pick who got exceptional status in junior hockey (meaning he could play as a 15 year old) whereas Morin went 11th overall and was always deemed a project. 

And second...ahh, I got nothin'!

Greetings:  I concur, but it is part of a development issue.  Yeah, we threw the dice...and yes, we were too mediocre to get best of breed....but, at some point you need to ask about the value of our draftees.  Ekblad is a gamechanger.  Other than Giroux..."gamechanger" doesn't come to mind.  Yes, Scottie and Ivan are very competent.  Some might develop well.  I just see uber-mucker/grinders. 

43 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Aaron Ekblad--first round, 2013; Sam Morin, first round, 2014. 

Ekblad also a #1 overall v. Morin 11th.

That said, stupid Hextall for making Homer pick Morin. And then injuring Morin. Stupid, stupid Hextall...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Our GM thinks a team should be built around guys from Minnesota. Guys that can play hockey from Minnesota are his 2nd choice.

I mean maybe he wants chemistry or something like that, but honestly that doesn't make a damn bit of sense. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Ekblad also a #1 overall v. Morin 11th.

That said, stupid Hextall for making Homer pick Morin. And then injuring Morin. Stupid, stupid Hextall...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I wonder if they offer Morin a contract?  His first goal last spring was a highlight of the season.  I thought it might be good sign for the future.  Does he have a future? 

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I wonder if they offer Morin a contract?  His first goal last spring was a highlight of the season.  I thought it might be good sign for the future.  Does he have a future? 

I'll wager that the Senior Hockey Advisor is willing to spend $750K of Comcast money to keep his pet project developing.

If it was actually Hextall's pick they would already have kicked him to the floor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'll wager that the Senior Hockey Advisor is willing to spend $750K of Comcast money to keep his pet project developing.

If it was actually Hextall's pick they would already have kicked him to the floor.

Yeah...this is a curious case of money and slot.  At what point do you say "auf wiedersehen?"  Parting ways with a first-rounder is never easy but this case may be hitting end state.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

this case may be hitting end state.  

They just re-signed Ristolainen for five years.

You may be/are probably right, but the Senior Hockey Geniuses at the Big Bank Building do things their own way.

9 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Yeah...this is a curious case of money and slot.  At what point do you say "auf wiedersehen?"  Parting ways with a first-rounder is never easy but this case may be hitting end state.  

Also, there is probably more than a little sympathy or a sense of responsibility for how Morin's career has not blossomed.

He is by all accounts a very nice person, and I'm sure the humans in the Flyers organization feel a sense of duty to a guy who is a good guy but could never reach his potential in their organization.

Make him a scout or help him learn to coach or something if that feeling of responsibility is too intense to ignore.

Keeping a roster spot for him, no matter what drives it, is not wise any longer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Also, there is probably more than a little sympathy or a sense of responsibility for how Morin's career has not blossomed.

He is by all accounts a very nice person, and I'm sure the humans in the Flyers organization feel a sense of duty to a guy who is a good guy but could never reach his potential in their organization.

Make him a scout or help him learn to coach or something if that feeling of responsibility is too intense to ignore.

Keeping a roster spot for him, no matter what drives it, is not wise any longer.

What's sad is, if Morin could stay healthy you'd get the same thing from him at league minimum as you get with Ristolainen plus the extra $4 miilion per, and the 1st, 2-2nds, 7th, Ghost and Hagg. 

Genius.

• Like 3