Homer's Top 5 Trades

Guest Digityman

From John Boruk

He is one of the most active NHL general managers and during his five-year tenure, Paul Holmgren has pulled off an eye-popping 48 trades.

You can evaluate trades based on statistical performance, but I wanted to come up with Homer’s top five trades that have been the most influential/beneficial to the franchise.

1. Peter Forsberg to Nashville for Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent, a first- and third-round pick

This one move during the team’s dismal 40th anniversary season has set up the Flyers for the past half decade, especially after Holmgren returned the first-rounder to Nashville for the exclusive signing rights to Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell. Looking back, Timonen for Forsberg straight up would have been a win in itself for the Flyers.

2. Luca Sbisa, Joffrey Lupul, two first-round picks and a third-round pick to Anaheim for Chris Pronger and Ryan Dingle

There’s a couple of reasons why I didn’t bump this up to No. 1. First off, you could still argue the price was a little high, especially with two first-round draft picks, plus two former first-rounders in Sbisa and Lupul. I firmly believe the Flyers don’t make it to the Stanley Cup Final without Pronger’s presence and now with the “C” he’s the leader the team has been looking for in recent years. Pronger’s ongoing health concerns are why it’s Homer’s No. 2. By the way, Dingle is playing in Italy this season.

3. Alexei Zhitnik to Atlanta for Braydon Coburn

Nine days after the Forsberg trade, Holmgren caught another GM (in this case Don Waddell) in a vulnerable position of a win-now philosophy. As part of the Flyers’ rebuilding process, Homer “stole” Coburn out of Atlanta with the Thrashers looking to add a veteran presence during their first ever trip to the postseason. Coburn would be a top-four D-man on any team in the league. He is now the longest-tenured Flyer and that shouldn’t change after signing a four-year extension.

4. Steve Eminger, Steve Downie and a fourth-round pick to Tampa Bay for Matt Carle and a third-round pick

This steal came during the short-lived Barry Melrose era in Tampa. Steve Downie had potential, but I’m not sure with his undisciplined style he would have reached it here in Philadelphia. The Lightning clearly did not realize what they were getting with Eminger and, for whatever reason, they were ready to ship out Carle after just 12 games in Tampa. Carle has been steady both offensively and defensively and has only missed seven games in three years.

5. Ole-Kristian Tollefson and a fifth-round pick to Detroit for Ville Leino

Over time the Jeff Carter trade to Columbus will likely break into the top five, but for now this deal had no downside. Tollefson wasn’t setting the world on fire defensively in Philadelphia and Leino was simply a salary cap dump for Detroit GM Ken Holland. Leino’s greatest contribution came during the 2010 playoffs when he set the NHL rookie record for most points in a single postseason. Along with Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell, they were clearly the best Flyers’ line in the playoffs. Leino chipped in with 53 points last season. The Red Wings released Tollefson just hours after the trade was completed.

Next: Paul Holmgren’s five worst trades.

E-mail John Boruk at jboruk@comcastsportsnet.com.

4. Steve Eminger, Steve Downie and a fourth-round pick to Tampa Bay for Matt Carle and a third-round pick

This steal came during the short-lived Barry Melrose era in Tampa. Steve Downie had potential, but I’m not sure with his undisciplined style he would have reached it here in Philadelphia. The Lightning clearly did not realize what they were getting with Eminger and, for whatever reason, they were ready to ship out Carle after just 12 games in Tampa. Carle has been steady both offensively and defensively and has only missed seven games in three years.

Somebody needs to e-mail that guy about #4. #4 never happens if Holmgren doesn't send a 1st round pick for Emminger to Washington to begin with. Holmgren really screwed the pooch on that one. That 1st round pick has developed in 1/2 dman in Washington (john carlson). We would not even be talking about needing a d-man now (granted we would not have Carle, but he is on his way out).

Yes that trade still burns me up to this day. Emminger was not even in Washingtons future plans, they were going to dump him, he was a fill in player for them. Holmgren gives up a first rounder, and they pick Carlson a big righthanded dman with PP skills, something we could certainly use right now.

Yes that trade still burns me up to this day. Emminger was not even in Washingtons future plans, they were going to dump him, he was a fill in player for them. Holmgren gives up a first rounder, and they pick Carlson a big righthanded dman with PP skills, something we could certainly use right now.

That's the problem with "trade threads" is how far back one goes.

I can trace the line which converts Vaclav Prospal and Danny Briere into Adam Burt.

First rounder that became Briere is dealt (among other things) for Pat Falloon.

Falloon is dealt, with Vaclav Prospal, for Alexandre Daigle.

Daigle is traded for Andrei Kovalenko.

Kovalenko is then traded for Burt.

Took just over three years - November 16, 1995 to March 6, 1999.

Knowing where your assets came from is an important part of any analysis - and the Eminger trade is one of the most egregious. They essentially traded two first rounders for Carle.

Now, I like Carle fine, but with just two 40-point seasons in five years for a puck-moving defenseman at $3.4M? I think I'd rather have the picks...

Knowing where your assets came from is an important part of any analysis - and the Eminger trade is one of the most egregious. They essentially traded two first rounders for Carle.

I agree (obviously) with your sentiment, but where are you getting the TWO first round picks from. I know the Emminger to Washington (which is John Carlson). Are you counting Downie as the other? If so, I am not sure you can do that, because he was already known asset at that point.

I look at it a bit differently. If the Emminger trade never happens (and it should not), then I will make a couple of assumptions:

1) We pick John Carlson.

2) Downies clock is still limited as a Flyer and we move him. I am assuming we move him for a low 2nd rounder (because by that point he was damaged good with all his suspensions at that point).

So, today we would have Carlson playing for us instead of Carle and whatever asset we picked with the high second rounder probably in AHL.

IMO if you make a first round pick and deal them within two years, you've essentially dealt that pick.

Carle v. Carlson is an amazing comparison.

Carle, last season, cost $2.6M more than Carlson, will be a UFA next season where Carlson ($847K) is RFA and had a whopping three more points than Carlson .

This season, Carlson has one more point, eight fewer PIMs, eight more hits and is a +5 to Carle's +4 through 23 games.

Carle with Pronger is probably better than Carlson and whoever. However, when Carle is matched with Pronger he has proven to be a turnover machine. Given the current circumstances and Pronger's continually recurrent injury problems that are only going to get worse, I like the Carlson alternative better.

Carle with Pronger is probably better than Carlson and whoever. However, when Carle is matched with Pronger he has proven to be a turnover machine.

The thing is that it could have been Pronger with "X" (who might have been Carlson) AND Carlson with "Y" (Coburn, Timmo, Mesz etc.). So, odds are that Carle is gone at the end of this season and what do we have left to show for it? Squat!!

To boot, Carlson is currently THE best d-man on Washington. More points than Green (or any other d-man).

6'3 212 lbs and only 21 years old and we could of had him AND pronger!!