Another HUGE night for Leino

Guest Samifan

Buffalo overpaid ridiculously for Leino. In both money and length.

Leino is a complimentary forward, he is not "the guy".

I don't mind Ruff as a coach (for the Sabres) but Reiger has shown time and again he doesn't have a clue - and now he doesn't even have the "Golisano made me do it" excuse.

That said, Leino needs to be on the top two lines to be effective. Ruff making "a point" and playing him on the 3/4 is stupid.

Would make more sense to put him in the press box for a game or two and a couple of bag skates with the other peripheral players after game / practice.

Leino never sturck me as a Ruff-type player. You'd think after more than a decade that the coach and GM would have some affinity for how the other works.

Of course, I have absolutely nothing good to say about Regier.

Of course, I have absolutely nothing good to say about Regier.

I guess the thing is who did they really see him playing with? I mean you would think that they would have wanted to follow the same mold as Philly (water skeeter + body / banger in front of the net= leino can play his dangle - passing game).

I guess the thing is who did they really see him playing with? I mean you would think that they would have wanted to follow the same mold as Philly (water skeeter + body / banger in front of the net= leino can play his dangle - passing game).

They saw him as a playmaking center, apparently. Having spent virtually his entire NHL career on the wing.

He was going to be the first line center for Vanek and Pominville, IIRC.

Or at least upgrade the second line pivot.

Might be interesting to see what Leino could do on a line with, say, the new Kassian and, maybe, Stafford? I think Kassian may need some time, though.

Might be interesting to see what Leino could do on a line with, say, the new Kassian and, maybe, Stafford? I think Kassian may need some time, though.

I was thinking Stafford. Kassian is doing very well for Rochester (leads the team in scoring). He was just called up last week. Both he and Stafford are big boys. The problem I guess is both are RW. I personally would not have Leino as Center. Maybe he is doing okay in the passing / play making, but I wonder about the two-way play and defensive coverage down low. Also his face-offs are atrocious (to the extent they don't let him take them anymore!). I wonder if either Stafford or Kassian can take faceoffs?

I was thinking Stafford. Kassian is doing very well for Rochester (leads the team in scoring). He was just called up last week. Both he and Stafford are big boys. The problem I guess is both are RW. I personally would not have Leino as Center. Maybe he is doing okay in the passing / play making, but I wonder about the two-way play and defensive coverage down low. Also his face-offs are atrocious (to the extent they don't let him take them anymore!). I wonder if either Stafford or Kassian can take faceoffs?

yeah, yer big power forwards tend to take some time to develop and get the confidence to stick down low is my only thought. I'm liking what Kassian has shown so far, though.

I think Stafford has taken some FOs (if my FHL memory serves). I don't like Leino at the C, either. He thrived with Briere here playing Briere's natural position ©.

Leino essentially was supposed to replace Connolly. As a player, I'd take Leino nine times out of ten over Connolly, but they play very different roles and games.

how can a guy go from WOW what a steal - to not bad ok player has some game - to how do i still have a job. all in a year and a half

I think a big part of it is that silly little delay, half spin he does to rag the puck around in a vain attempt to create space and time. It worked when he first got here, coach's caught on and taught players how to defend it....mainly by planting him into next week when it starts the Leino shuffle (claiming TM on that one...lol)

@Samifan I just caught the last 5 minutes of that game and Leino had a big turnover that caused a breakaway for Grabner (that he missed) then Leino missed a wide open net on a sweet pass.

I liked Leino but they are trying to make him something he is not.

Miller's first practice yesterday and he almost gets taken out by Leino!!

From the AP: Though Wednesday was the first time he's been involved in a full practice setting, he faced shots Monday and Tuesday on the ice. "It's just getting the timing back," Miller said. With Miller's heartbeat on the rise, Ruff's heart nearly stopped when forward Ville Leino toppled over Miller while the goalie was in an awkward position in the crease. Despite the scare, though, Miller's presence was a welcome sight.