Wild Fans Speak: 2022-23 Pre-Season Edition

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Fans Speak: 2022-23 Pre-Season Edition Part 1 of 3

I interviewed 7 fans about their thoughts for the 2022-23 season.  In a few days I'll post the next part but at the very least I hope it stimulates some discussion as we get closer to another season.  Feel free to share your thoughts on these questions too and we'll see how they compare with what the panel had to say!  

I love these! Partly because to me it signals we are getting closer to the start of the season, and also because I enjoy all the different perspectives. I really liked the ones with DJ Ricky. It was interesting getting another teams fans perspective on the Wild.

I'd love to hear fans take on why the Wild, no matter who the coach is, who is on the roster or who they play, continue to fold like a house of cards in the first round of the playoffs... 

Wild Fans Speak: 2022-23 Pre-Season Edition, Part 2 of 3

This time I discuss the upcoming season and discuss new arrivals and departures from the club.  Which carries the greatest pressure or impact?  Enjoy and feel free to answer any of the questions yourself after all the whole point is to start a conversation.  

With all the new kids coming in, I think this is the closest we are going to come to "blowing it up and starting over". I am actually curious to see what will happen. I know Leipold is loathe to use the "R" word, but the way the Wild has been building the team, it hasn't worked. They just keep spinning their wheels. Getting rid of the Wonder Twins and promoting from within will certainly be a different tack. Will it work? Time will tell. But we do know that trading away prospects and draft picks for aging free agents hasn't worked. 

I also think in addition to losing Fiala's production, can Hartman produce another 30+ goals? Can Zuccarello produce another 80 points? What about Foligno? Can he serve up another 40 points? A lot of players had career years last season.

• Like 2

Illa is right in the trading prospects and picks not working. It should be the other way around. 
Let’s lose the aging players before the giant slide down hill 

I know it’s hard to judge when a player’s time is over but I think they would be better off trading a player away too early than waiting too long. 
As far as the youth movement this year, I think they all should know it’s time to play or get moved. 
Addison, Dewar and Beckman should realize they need to perform like NHL talent or they should go. 
Goaltending scares me the most. I think GMBG made a mistake with Fleury and this year we will find out. 
Who will be the backup, and will they be able to take the net if I am right?

On 9/18/2022 at 9:00 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Well Evason told Russo that he was going to expect the coaches to do more.  I think it will be tough to expect something different when they lost scoring and stability between the pipes but think they will be better, uh ok.  

Didn't he kind of not take responsibility for the power play at the end of the season, too? Said it's the players not doing what they should? Or something like that? He seems like he likes to pass the buck...

• Like 1

Wild Fans Speak, 2022-23 Pre-Season Edition, Part 3 of 3

I would agree, while he said the coaches should work harder (whatever that means) it implies the assistant coaches rather than himself.  It totally was HIS choice to hold optional practices or not hold them at all late in the year.  My guess is with the team still doing fairly well in the regular season they hadn't practiced and he simply went by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just felt the time off was more beneficial even though everyone knew the rancid PK was going to be a problem.  

Anyways, here is the last part of the article an we have an important announcement at the end of it.  This last portion is all about predictions so kind of a good way to wrap up this edition of Wild Fans Speak.  

On 9/20/2022 at 6:26 AM, IllaZilla said:

With all the new kids coming in, I think this is the closest we are going to come to "blowing it up and starting over". I am actually curious to see what will happen. I know Leipold is loathe to use the "R" word, but the way the Wild has been building the team, it hasn't worked. They just keep spinning their wheels. Getting rid of the Wonder Twins and promoting from within will certainly be a different tack. Will it work? Time will tell. But we do know that trading away prospects and draft picks for aging free agents hasn't worked. 

I also think in addition to losing Fiala's production, can Hartman produce another 30+ goals? Can Zuccarello produce another 80 points? What about Foligno? Can he serve up another 40 points? A lot of players had career years last season.

I believe Foligno and Zucc can find chemistry with whoever their linemates are. Points wise, Why not? I wouldn't expect Hartman to hit 30 goals but maybe his line can spread the wealth a bit.
Career years for those guys for sure, But was it because of the roles they were put into? 
Big key is Rossi. If paired with Boldy, At least they should know each other's game a bit and hopefully produce somewhat close to Fiala-Boldy combo. I'm still not convinced that Fiala helped Boldy, Possibly was the other way around.

First pre-season game we were able to win in OT against a Colorado team. I think it is a good mark for a new season. Our youngsters Addison had a goal and Rossi had 2 assists in that game. In my opinion, coaching staff made a smart decision to place also experienced players starting from the first pre-season game, which is good for building a chemistry as earlier as possible. Not sure about a win against same team tonight on their home ice. It seems is going to be a different goalie tandem. According to the Wild link OFFICIAL: "We have trimmed our #mnwild Training Camp roster. Thank you to Caedan Bankier, Kyle Masters, Hunter Haight, Servac Petrovsky, Josh Pillar, David Spacek and Thomas Milic".

According to the list above the game tonight is going to be mainly among the youngsters on both teams, which presents an interest as both teams potential. My attention also brought the list of coaching staff. Colorado have few more positions: assistant coach, video position; skills coach and as well as they have a president of hockey operations. Maybe we need to add to our organization at least skills coach too as a separate but important position on players skill improvement?