2022-23 predictions bound to go wrong

yave1964

Do this every year. Last year i had the Bolts and Avalanche in the finals, 3 division winners right but missed on as much as i got right. Anyway, here are this years predictions

DIVISION WINNERS 

Rangers

Leafs

Oilers

Avalanche

SCF Oilers break the Canadian curse by besting the Rangers in six games

FIRST COACH FIRED John Hynes in Nashville

HART TROPHY Draisatl

VEZINA  Shesterkin

BIGGEST SURPRISE GOOD The jets will surprise a lot of folk with a solid season making the playoffs.

BIGGEST SURPRISE BAD The Blues will slip and miss the playoffs

HOW MANY CANADIAN TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS Flames, Canucks, Jets, Oilers, Leafs

WILL TORONTO MAKE IT TO THE SECOND ROUND  Absolutely. This is the year they finally make a deep push

CALDER TROPHY Matty Beniers edges out Mason McTavish

BIGGEST NAME TRADED AT OR NEAR THE DEADLINE Pretty poor free agent class this year, I believe that Taresenko will be dealt when the Blues fall.

LADY BING WINNER Once again, nobody cares

WHO WILL BE THE WORST TEAM IN THE GAME  The tank for Bedard is on, the Coyotes are trying really hard to make sure they have the most ping pong balls and will edge out montreal for the worst team.

WILL THIS BE THE YEAR THAT AN EICHEL TEAM FINALLY MAKES THE PLAYOFFS? Yep. Vegas is flawed but very good and will make the postseason

WHICH AGING TEAM IN THE EAST IS MOST LIKELY TO BE AT THE END OF THE LINE,PITTSBURGH, WASHINGTON OR BOSTON? Pittsburgh retooled their defense and are probably the best, Bonston has one more run trying to fight off three up and coming teams in the division. I think Washington falls and falls hard with 17 players 30 or over on the team

WILL OVIE SCORE 50 YET AGAIN? no i have him pegged at 38

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Do this every year. Last year i had the Bolts and Avalanche in the finals, 3 division winners right but missed on as much as i got right. Anyway, here are this years predictions

Love it when you do these....right or wrong, don't matter to me.
You, Sir, entertain, and THAT makes you a winner! 

Ahem...so, here is my spin, following your lead:

DIVISION WINNERS 

Hurricanes-- Still feel they can take the next step if they can score consistently and play a more edged game. I think they can!
Leaves® --- Their offense still looks crazy good, their defense is better than many people think and it will be good enough for an Atlantic win.
Flames----- This was a tough one. I thought Calgary lost too much, but upon further inspection, they may actually be alright. And with Darryl Sutter behind the bench, you can NEVER underestimate them. I think they edge out Vancouver for the Pacific crown.
Avalanche--- Tough to bet against the defending champions when they still have the rock solid core, plus some up n comers in there that look like they could be very good for years to come.

STANLY CUP FINALS
Avalanche take a page out of the Lightning handbook and go back to back....besting the Lightning once again, who are still going through a retool, good enough for a Finals appearance, but not good enough to win it all.
Hey, if DET-PIT can go consecutive years against each other for the Cup, so can COL-TB ;) 

FIRST COACH FIRED --- Gonna say Lindy Ruff in NJ. I think the Devils have VERY high expectation given all their talent and they simply cannot finish near the bottom once again. If it looks like they are early on, I think Ruff gets the boot (might not even be his fault) to try and jumpstart a team loaded with talent and offense, but playing like an AHL team defensively and mentally.

HART TROPHY --- Auston Matthews. He will absolutely go OFF on teams this year, though it will be small consolation when the Leaves® find themselves out of the playoffs early once again, despite winning their division and Matthews running roughshod on the stat sheet!

VEZINA --- Igor Shesterkin. I will agree with you on this one. I don't think this man has scratched the surface of what he can do!

BIGGEST SURPRISE GOOD-- The Minnesota Wild WON'T be as terrible as myself and some fans believe. Most feel they won't have enough offense because of the Fiala loss. I say to Fiala "Buh bye", and get a very nice surprise when I see that guys like Boldy, Zucc, Kaprizov, and maybe even Rossi, CAN produce even without Fiala on the squad.

BIGGEST SURPRISE BAD--- When I don't expect them to be locks for a playoff spot, I DO expect both the Wings and Sabres to be VERY competitive this year, and if they don't make it in, make it very hard on other teams, and make their opponents work for their victories against them.
So, a big surprise, in a bad way, for me, would be if either one of, or both, Buffalo and Detroit fall completely on their faces, and play like bottom feeders all year.
They are better than that, and if they aren't competitive, I will be surprised and sorely disappointed in either.

HOW MANY CANADIAN TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS Flames, Canucks, Oilers, Leafs....same as yours, @yave1964, I just removed the Jets. I think they are mess behind the scenes, and it could show on the ice. Poor Hellebuyck. He may have a good year on a very bad team.

WILL TORONTO MAKE IT TO THE SECOND ROUND-- Meh. Perhaps. BUT, the second round will be their new "wall" for the next few seasons. :bigteeth: 

CALDER TROPHY --- Owen will have the Power, and take the rookie class by storm....helping to nudge the Sabres to playoff contention! (Or Buffalo could be the aforementioned BAD surprise, and Power won't be anything but a short circuited fizzle.....)

BIGGEST NAME TRADED AT OR NEAR THE DEADLINE --- Sean Monahan. The Canadiens find out he is revitalized, has crazy value, and get a pair of first rounders in return from some club needing a top line center! (Pass me some more JD Coolers, bartender....)

LADY BING WINNER --- Marty St. Louis!! There simply is NO OTHER ANSWER for this...EVER! :shifty:

WHO WILL BE THE WORST TEAM IN THE GAME --- Man, hard to bet against the Coyotes here. I mean, they are just putrid, talented, but putrid as a group, with players wanting out left and right. 
That said, the Jets will say to the league, "Hold my beer!", and despite having a world class goalie, completely shat the bed, sell off a bunch of contracts at the deadline, and go Bedard hunting!

WILL THIS BE THE YEAR THAT AN EICHEL TEAM FINALLY MAKES THE PLAYOFFS? ---I believe so. The goaltending situation and the team depth will have plenty to say about that, but if they are decent in net, and their depth is reasonable, I think they will.

WHICH AGING TEAM IN THE EAST IS MOST LIKELY TO BE AT THE END OF THE LINE,PITTSBURGH, WASHINGTON OR BOSTON? --- Agree on the Capitals. Too many injuries to go along with the aged core, and most of the focus in DC will be on Ovie's run to Gretzky. That itself will make for fine television, but will do ZILCH for team success with regards to division, conference, and/or NHL title aspirations.

WILL OVIE SCORE 50 YET AGAIN? -- Insane what he pulled off last season with that, but I will also say "NO". However, 30 isn't out of the question, even while missing his insured partner "Backy" for a very long while.
Ovie's wife STILL wants to know why Backy is always there for breakfast..... :ph34r: 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Thanks 1

East

Toronto-cinch

Florida-close to a cinch

Tampa -not sure who is back and who is not, usually teams reshuffle the deck when they lost the way they lost to Colorado

Carolina

NY Rangers-on the rise for sure it seems

So I am going to stop here and assume the above are the ones that should be in.  After this we may have a dog fight?

So the other 3?  I have to include Columbus based on their impressive pre season and the 7-0 pounding of the Blues?

I am also going to pick the Islanders to bounce back as they wont have to play the first 15 or so on the road.  That only leaves one more spot. And I am going to bounce older teams like Boston and Washington.   Oh, and Pittsburgh.  So I am going to take the optimistic view and pick my Sabres to sneak in. Why not?  So here are my "other 3 in the EAST 

Columbus

NY Islanders

Buffalo

West

Colorado-cinch and favorites to repeat

Edmonton- hard to see McDavid and his boy Draisaitl not being in.  But goaltending could still be an issue?  

Las Vegas-as much as I hate to say it, Jack Eichel is no chopped liver and he will get them in.

I am going to stop there as far as certain teams to get in.  The next 5 are debatable and I will throw my hat into the ring

St Louis  -of course

Minnesota- seem to be on the upswing

Calgary-Not sure bout off season moves?

Vancouver -Im going to expect them to bounce back and get at least a low seed, and Hockey Guy loves them

Its too tough to know who else.  I guess I would go either Kings or Jets for the last spot but I do not have enough info of off season moves.  So I hope someone here responds to my new thread on the eve of the soon to be season opener.  

I'll go with my guesses. * depicts WC teams

Metro

1. NY Rangers. A top goalie, a top defense, great top-6 forwards; they are mature to be true contenders.

2. Carolina. Still a solid roster. If they keep injuries away, they will definitely in the postseason.

3. Pittsburgh. The bell is ringing, like the last gig for Crosby-Malkin-Letang. The Pens are getting old but remain a steady force.

4. Washington* Questionable goaltending, it's finally time for them to fade away. Maybe it will suffice to make the playoffs but it's gonna be tight.

5. NY Islanders. An intriguing team, I have the feeling that some key pieces are missing for them to compete.

6. Columbus. Another intriguing team. They have the potential to create the surprise but it seems they are not deep enough to remain afloat.

7. New Jersey. Will they finally succeed in the take-off? We've been saying that for the last 4-5 years, without any significant improvement. So why should this season be different?

8. Philadelphia. Let Chuck enter the room and here's the result. Active retooling might not be the solution, I really fell for Flyers fans because this iconic franchise has to be on top. Just find some efficient solution to get rid of the mold.

Atlantic

1. Toronto. They failed again in the playoffs? Of course but they still have the talent and the team (except the goaltending) to be on the top again in the regular season.

2. Tampa Bay. They can change a whole part of the roster, they will still remain a driving force in the division. Tampa still have one of the best GM, coach, Dman and forward of the league, so...

3. Florida. They lost feathers and the Tkatchuk impact is still a big question mark after losing Huberdeau and Weegar. But despite some damages, the foundation will hold.

4. Detroit*. One of the most improved teams. Love their acquisitions, love their development and love Steve Yzerman. It will be hard to sneak into the playoffs but the Wings are on the right track.

5. Ottawa. Like Detroit, the Sens potential might finally translate into success. Maybe not sufficient to be in the postseason but it will be close.

6. Boston. Checked the Bruins as a disppointing one. At some point, the old Bruins have to fall down the standings.

7. Buffalo. Seems like some light is visible at the tunnel's end, the Eichel distraction is gone, time to breath some fresh air. I will still take some time though for them to significanty climb up.

8. Montréal. In competition with AZ to finish dead last again. They have no goalers, no defence and no experience. It's not that they became worse, but all the other teams improved.

Pacific (worst division)

1. Edmonton. It will a battle of Alberta on the top of the Pacific. Less question marks than Calgary, McDavid And Drasaitl have some support and the defence has got better. Goaltending is still in a foggy zone though.

2. Calgary. I do think that Huberdeau will replace Tkatchuk adequately. Despite losing Gaudreau too, the Flames are still one the best teams in the west and have a top-league goalie.

3. Vancouver. Three canadian teams in the Pacific top-three? Why not. The end of last season was brilliant, they should capitalize on that and be the half-surprise by getting in without being a wild-card team.

4. Los Angeles*. Same trend as last season, a good mix of vets and youth. They will be a p.i.t.a. for most teams.

5. Vegas. Something seemed to be broken in Vegas and it has started with the demise of Fleury. I don't believe in Eichel's integration and second-life in a team build on individuals.

6. Anaheim. Still on rebuild mode, the goal for them will be to get as many points as possible in the season start, and then, who knows...

7. Seattle. The Kraken is still an expansion team, in the traditional way. They got a bit better everywhere but patience will be required before being competitive.

8. San José. Yes, but no. In some way they failed on the direction to take when the contention window suddenly closed.

Central

1. Colorado. Why? Because Colorado.

2. Minnesota. Dumping Suter and Parisé was the best thing to do. Kirill, Boldy, Zucc will lift Minny in the upper standings.

3. St-Louis. If the brain transplant of Binnington has worked, he might have a bounce back season.

4. Dallas*. The hiring of DeBoer could unleash some of the Stars' top players. If the first line produces at the same rate of last year, good things will happen. If there's a little grain of sand in the mechanic, well... trouble might not be far.

5. Nashville. Saros can definitely maintain playoffs hopes as long as possible.

6. Winnipeg. Enjoy Bowness 1980's hockey, folks. Big concerns also on the overall atmosphere aroung this team.

7. Chicago. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's still washing time in Chicago.

8. Arizona. Arizona? Because Arizona. Bold prediction: the Coyotes will be a playoff team in five years in their brand new arena in Tempe.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, Math said:

I'll go with my guesses. * depicts WC teams

Metro

1. NY Rangers. A top goalie, a top defense, great top-6 forwards; they are mature to be true contenders.

2. Carolina. Still a solid roster. If they keep injuries away, they will definitely in the postseason.

3. Pittsburgh. The bell is ringing, like the last gig for Crosby-Malkin-Letang. The Pens are getting old but remain a steady force.

4. Washington* Questionable goaltending, it's finally time for them to fade away. Maybe it will suffice to make the playoffs but it's gonna be tight.

5. NY Islanders. An intriguing team, I have the feeling that some key pieces are missing for them to compete.

6. Columbus. Another intriguing team. They have the potential to create the surprise but it seems they are not deep enough to remain afloat.

7. New Jersey. Will they finally succeed in the take-off? We've been saying that for the last 4-5 years, without any significant improvement. So why should this season be different?

8. Philadelphia. Let Chuck enter the room and here's the result. Active retooling might not be the solution, I really fell for Flyers fans because this iconic franchise has to be on top. Just find some efficient solution to get rid of the mold.

Atlantic

1. Toronto. They failed again in the playoffs? Of course but they still have the talent and the team (except the goaltending) to be on the top again in the regular season.

2. Tampa Bay. They can change a whole part of the roster, they will still remain a driving force in the division. Tampa still have one of the best GM, coach, Dman and forward of the league, so...

3. Florida. They lost feathers and the Tkatchuk impact is still a big question mark after losing Huberdeau and Weegar. But despite some damages, the foundation will hold.

4. Detroit*. One of the most improved teams. Love their acquisitions, love their development and love Steve Yzerman. It will be hard to sneak into the playoffs but the Wings are on the right track.

5. Ottawa. Like Detroit, the Sens potential might finally translate into success. Maybe not sufficient to be in the postseason but it will be close.

6. Boston. Checked the Bruins as a disppointing one. At some point, the old Bruins have to fall down the standings.

7. Buffalo. Seems like some light is visible at the tunnel's end, the Eichel distraction is gone, time to breath some fresh air. I will still take some time though for them to significanty climb up.

8. Montréal. In competition with AZ to finish dead last again. They have no goalers, no defence and no experience. It's not that they became worse, but all the other teams improved.

Pacific (worst division)

1. Edmonton. It will a battle of Alberta on the top of the Pacific. Less question marks than Calgary, McDavid And Drasaitl have some support and the defence has got better. Goaltending is still in a foggy zone though.

2. Calgary. I do think that Huberdeau will replace Tkatchuk adequately. Despite losing Gaudreau too, the Flames are still one the best teams in the west and have a top-league goalie.

3. Vancouver. Three canadian teams in the Pacific top-three? Why not. The end of last season was brilliant, they should capitalize on that and be the half-surprise by getting in without being a wild-card team.

4. Los Angeles*. Same trend as last season, a good mix of vets and youth. They will be a p.i.t.a. for most teams.

5. Vegas. Something seemed to be broken in Vegas and it has started with the demise of Fleury. I don't believe in Eichel's integration and second-life in a team build on individuals.

6. Anaheim. Still on rebuild mode, the goal for them will be to get as many points as possible in the season start, and then, who knows...

7. Seattle. The Kraken is still an expansion team, in the traditional way. They got a bit better everywhere but patience will be required before being competitive.

8. San José. Yes, but no. In some way they failed on the direction to take when the contention window suddenly closed.

Central

1. Colorado. Why? Because Colorado.

2. Minnesota. Dumping Suter and Parisé was the best thing to do. Kirill, Boldy, Zucc will lift Minny in the upper standings.

3. St-Louis. If the brain transplant of Binnington has worked, he might have a bounce back season.

4. Dallas*. The hiring of DeBoer could unleash some of the Stars' top players. If the first line produces at the same rate of last year, good things will happen. If there's a little grain of sand in the mechanic, well... trouble might not be far.

5. Nashville. Saros can definitely maintain playoffs hopes as long as possible.

6. Winnipeg. Enjoy Bowness 1980's hockey, folks. Big concerns also on the overall atmosphere aroung this team.

7. Chicago. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's still washing time in Chicago.

8. Arizona. Arizona? Because Arizona. Bold prediction: the Coyotes will be a playoff team in five years in their brand new arena in Tempe.

Hard to argue against any of your choices.   Great job!

EAST

1. Carolina

2. Toronto

3. Florida

4. New York

5. Tampa Bay

6. Washington

7. Pittsburgh

8. Columbus

9. Boston

10. Ottawa

11. Long Island - This team and above are contenders...

12. New Jersey - This team and below are basement dwellers...not Lindy Ruff fault here though...

13. Detroit

14. Montreal

15. Philadelphia

16. Buffalo

WEST

1. Colorado - Never heard of a team winning the Cup then losing their Cup winning goalie so soon...only in the salary cap era...Colorado will still win the West but they won't repeat just like Tampa Bay couldn't threepeat before them...

2. Calgary - Looking more and more like those Cup winning LA KINGS of years past...

3. Edmonton - more and more talent being bought but still not enough yet...maybe next year...

4. Nashville

5. St Louis

6. Minnesota

7. Las Vegas

8. Vancouver

9. Los Angeles 

10. Winnipeg

11. Dallas - This team and above are contenders...

12. Seattle

13. Anaheim

14. Chicago - Basement dwellers here and below

15. San Jose 

16. Arizona

• Like 1

I can always count on Flyer fans to wear orange colored glass's.  A hockey source that is neutral to Philly and Buffalo says the Flyers will tank this year as next year they will be like $18 million I believe was the number, to the good in cap space.  They will be looking to clean house.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

My general read of the room around these parts is that there aren't a lot of Flyers fans kidding themselves about what to expect this year.

Then you did not see those that pick a playoff berth above I guess including one of your top dog 🐶 mods, yes, our friend Pilldoc    

My picks for the final 4.   

East

Toronto over Rangers 

West

Blues over Avalanche 

Leafs and Blues final.  
2nd choice. Leafs and Avalanche 

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Then you did not see those that pick a playoff berth above I guess including one of your top dog 🐶 mods, yes, our friend Pilldoc

Please show me were I said that ....I'm curious.  I have said all along that this team is going to be brutal to watch.  Heck I even cancelled NHL Center Ice because it will be that bad.

You are seriously grasping at straws for something I never said nor implied ......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Please show me were I said that ....I'm curious.  I have said all along that this team is going to be brutal to watch.  Heck I even cancelled NHL Center Ice because it will be that bad.

You must have gotten confused with the OTHER keeper of the happy pills...you know, the one that operates on the corner of 25th and Lake Street :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You must have gotten confused with the OTHER keeper of the happy pills...you know, the one that operates on the corner of 25th and Lake Street :ph34r:

The one that has an unlimited supply of Narcan in his briefcase???  :VeryCool:

9 hours ago, pilldoc said:

You are seriously grasping at straws for something I never said nor implied ......

Im pretty sure you picked them to finish with the 8th seed in the East.  Maybe it was the other guys pick. Ill go back and look to make sure

OK, I am editing this as I did look.  Simply go above and your response to Math says "hard to argue with any of your choices".  OK, one of those choices is Philadelphia getting the 8 seed in the East.  Now you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  But I am also entitled to mine and I am only saying that after listening to some of the so called hockey experts, many on YouTube, its their opinion that the Flyers will tank like the Sabres did to get Eichel.   That they are going to unload many on their roster to open spots for next seasons cap friendly season. They will have cap space next year. So its not very likely they get in given last years results. Thats all

Edited by Hockey Junkie

11 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

You must have been reading something different than what I saw. @pilldoc gave a positive response to a post by @Math which had the Flyers dead last in the Metro. Other than that, most of the Flyers fans around here are so mad at management that they're shaking like a dog sh|tting a peach pit.

Sure there are many with a very pessimistic outlook on this season. So I see what you are saying about many Flyer faithful jumping ship.  Rightfully so.  But in this sport you never know.  There are always teams that over achieve and surprise. I believe my team can be one of them given the blue line talent they now have.  Goaltending is an issue for sure though. I do not like how they handled it. 

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Im pretty sure you picked them to finish with the 8th seed in the East.  Maybe it was the other guys pick. Ill go back and look to make sure

I mentioned 8th place in Metro which equals last place which equals no playoffs.  Just admit you were wrong and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You agreed the Flyers get the 8th seed.  We will find out who is wrong later

I have never witnessed anyone so wrong hold onto his wrongness like you @pilldoc literally said 8th in division NOT conference. He said last place. Let it go. You are wrong as wrong gets. Move on. Doc and every flyer fan in here knows it's a rebuild year with tough times ahead. You are wrong. Let it go or I will lock the topic and mark the topic closed because of absurdity. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You agreed the Flyers get the 8th seed.  We will find out who is wrong later

Are you seriously that dense????  8th seed/place in the Metro!  Not the bloody conference. Ok ... I will type slowly here for you one more time .....

Flyers will finish as follows:

8 t h ...P l a c e   i n   t h e   M e t r o   D i v i s i o n ...........

1 5 t h / 1 6 t h ...  P l a c e   i n   t h e   C o n f e r e n c e  ..........  ( L A S T   P L A C E    and    N O   P L A Y O F F S ! )

Comprende!!!

Now stop misquoting me and admit you are wrong here ..... OR ... as @yave1964 said we are locking the thread or I/we will hide your obviously egregiously wrong posts.

Enough!

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

DIVISION WINNERS 

Leafs

Hurricanes

Oilers

Avalanche

As there's a large consensus in here, major surprises will come I guess.

FIRST COACH FIRED I don't see any of the rebuilding teams firing their coach. It will be probably from a team with play-off objectives with a terrible start. I'll go with Lindyball in Jersey.

HART TROPHY Shesterkin

VÉZINA  Shesterkin x2

BIGGEST SURPRISE GOOD I'm going with the Tampa 2.0 front-office: Detroit. Love their moves and direction, I see them sneak into the playoffs

BIGGEST SURPRISE BAD Washington. Questionable goaltending, Backström and Wilson are out the whole team is getting old.

HOW MANY CANADIAN TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS 4. Flames, Canucks, Oilers, Leafs.

WILL TORONTO MAKE IT TO THE SECOND ROUND Yes. It's about time...

CALDER TROPHY Matt Boldy.

BIGGEST NAME TRADED AT OR NEAR THE DEADLINE Klingberg back in Dallas :shifty:

LADY BING WINNER Not Ian Cole and not Batherson.

WHO WILL BE THE WORST TEAM IN THE GAME It will be between the Coyotes, Canadiens and Blackhawks. At least the Hawks have Kane and Toews and Montréal can score goals. I'll go with the easy Coyotes' choice.

WILL THIS BE THE YEAR THAT AN EICHEL TEAM FINALLY MAKES THE PLAYOFFS? I don't believe in an Eichel fresh start. Vegas will be fighting until the end but fail again to qualify.

WHICH AGING TEAM IN THE EAST IS MOST LIKELY TO BE AT THE END OF THE LINE,PITTSBURGH, WASHINGTON OR BOSTON? Washington.

WILL OVIE SCORE 50 YET AGAIN? No, he will be short at 44.

• Like 1