Devan Dubnyk Officially Retires

TropicalFruitGirl26

dubnyk_devan1280.thumb.jpg.29810b1b7b9501c7a4f2caf2318cd64c.jpg

From TSN Canada:
Devan Dubnyk retires 12 NHL seasons - TSN.ca

Devan "Dubes" Dubnyk has officially called it a career.
Yes, he played for a number of teams, but by far, his best runs were with the Minnesota Wild, thus the picture in his MN gear.
At age 36, he has decided to move on, go into broadcasting full time, and start life after hockey.

Good luck and enjoyment in retirement, "Dubes".
Some fans were highly critical of him during his waning days in Minnesota, but nevertheless, at his peak with the team, he provided lots of excitement and entertainment (and wins!) as the everyday netminder for the team.

I think I can speak for a number of Wild fans when I say, "I enjoyed the privilege of being able to watch Dubnyk do his thing, at his best, as a member of the Minnesota Wild" 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wish him well.

36 and retired.

I'm jealous.

Retired a multi millionaire no less.

I wish him well. He did well for me some seasons in fantasy hockey when Nashville untrained the bad habits he learned up north(as trotz put it)

• Like 1

I saw news of this yesterday and I have to admit it registered an ambivalent shrug of the shoulders more than anything else.  He bailed the Wild out a few season's, but over time his insecurity and lack of personal accountability is what I will remember most about his time in Minnesota.  He deserved the Masterton when he won it after his circuitous journey from being a starter to being a minor league throwaway back to being an NHL starter again.  He had one really good season with the Wild and then it was kind of like a slow decline after that.    

Personally, I've always felt Dubnyk is in the top three of all time Minnesota goalies....not that the franchise has had a slew of Vezina quality netminders, but still.

I'd rank him right about neck and neck with Manny Fernandez and just ahead of Nick Backstrom in terms of quality netminding at their best, and just their overall body of work.
I had to look it up, but those three are also the only goalies MN has had that played more than 250 games with the franchise.

Sure, the last two seasons Dubnyk was with the Wild he definitely was sliding fast and his play with the Sharks and Avalanche after that only cemented the fact his days were numbered in the NHL, but peak Dubes was quite good and exactly what the franchise needed when they acquired him.

I'd rank Dwayne Roloson and Josh Harding pretty favorably as well, although they simply didn't have the amount of games played as the top three of Fernandez, Dubnyk, and Backstrom.....almost 100 fewer in fact.
Roloson as many know, was oftentimes interchangeable with Fernandez within Jacque Lemaire's system, though he could be streaky, and sometimes at the worst possible times.

Harding, sadly, never got to realize his full potential. He too didn't play nearly the amount of games many Wild fans would have liked to have seen him play.
We won't ever know, but had he been able to keep playing, based on what I got to see, he likely would have easily become the number one goalie all time to date with the Wild.....and actually making the acquisition of Dubnyk in the first place, unnecessary!

At any rate, yea, I do think Dubes was right for the Wild when he got here, played his heart out when called upon, ALWAYS wanted the net (something I think everyone likes from a goaltender), until he simply could do it no more.
That's what I will remember.

What kind of commentator he will make now for the NHL Network?
Not sure yet.
I do tune into the channel quite often, so I will have my chance to see.

Other former Wild alumni that I enjoy and are doing well for NHL Network are former player Mike Rupp and former FSN North broadcaster, Jamie Hersch. :) 

• Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Personally, I've always felt Dubnyk is in the top three of all time Minnesota goalies.

Interesting.

So if I may ask who is the top 3?

As an outsider Roloson was always my favorite.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Interesting.

So if I may ask who is the top 3?

As an outsider Roloson was always my favorite.

LOL...I did say, Fernandez, Dubnyk, then Backstrom...BUT, with Josh Harding as a mention as a guy who I thought could have surpassed them all had he not had that medical condition that forced his retirement in his late 20's.

Roloson definitely had his moments, but streaky, and by himself, wasn't as good as when he was in tandem with Manny Fernandez.
Rolo did that same act with the Oilers and even the Lightning....streaky where he was damned good, but then, streaky where everything got by him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL...I did say, Fernandez, Dubnyk, then Backstrom...BUT, with Josh Harding as a mention as a guy who I thought could have surpassed them all had he not had that medical condition that forced his retirement in his late 20's.

Roloson definitely had his moments, but streaky, and by himself, wasn't as good as when he was in tandem with Manny Fernandez.
Rolo did that same act with the Oilers and even the Lightning....streaky where he was damned good, but then, streaky where everything got by him.

Harding will always be that big "What If"
I agree mostly with your top 3 but I'd put Dubes in 4th behind Fernandez/Roloson and Backstrom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

Harding will always be that big "What If"
I agree mostly with your top 3 but I'd put Dubes in 4th behind Fernandez/Roloson and Backstrom.

Hey, I'm not gonna argue against Roloson even though I didn't rank him top three for Minnesota.
I mean, the man was just very exciting to watch when he was on his game.

I got to see him regularly even more once the Lightning got him and they rode a hot Roloson all the way to the East Finals where the eventual champion Bruins knocked  Rolo and the Bolts off.

• Like 1