Game 36: Philadelphia Flyers at San Jose Sharks; 12/29/22 @ 10:30, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

San Jose is a mild favorite (-140).  The Sharks took the first meeting this year, 3-0.

The teams are similar statistically:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-sjs/2022/12/29/2022020573

Based on what Torts said in his 12/28 post-practice presser, Sam Ersson gets the nod.  He liked Sam's composure in the third period against Carolina and lauded his "swagger."  Well, let's hope he has West Coast Mojo.  Carter is on IR.  

FYI, San Jose is one of the few teams we're under .500 historically.  And we are under .500 at SAP:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PHI/head2head.html

A final thought: In recent years, this year-end Western trek imposed by Disney on Ice has been a shambles, with a 7-21-6 record since 2015.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/scuffling-flyers-head-west-for-annual-holiday-road-trip-looking-to-start-a-new-chapter/ar-AA15KGNB

Yabba Dabba Doo.

Edited by Howie58

11 hours ago, Howie58 said:

After being down 3-1, a tie with goalie pulled, then an actual overtime win. Not against a great team, but a confidence booster.  Ersson shows promise.

Howie I hope you didn't stay up late watching that.

But if you did my condolences.

Your dedication is not lost on some of us.

I just about the Flyers now all my stomach can stand.

11 hours ago, Howie58 said:

After being down 3-1, a tie with goalie pulled, then an actual overtime win. Not against a great team, but a confidence booster.  Ersson shows promise.

I'd like to say this shows promise, and I always appreciate your optimism Howie, but these wins just take us further away from at shot at Bedard. And he's about the only thing that can save this franchise in the immediate future.

• Like 1

Dear Colleagues,

I am single and a night owl, so the third period wasn't much past my usual sacking out.  Seeing an overtime win was pretty cool.  We're the worst of breed historically--this was a good change of pace.

Yeah, winning may be losing in terms of the draft.  I get it.  It is good to see we may have a saving remnant to build around.  Laughton did an amazing faceoff job.  Tippett is showing he might become a premier power forward.  Konecny is carrying the team.  Tony D has some good offensive touch.  

Chris Maher reported  that we have generally lose the first game of this trip and spiraled from there.  So this was a nice change of pace. 

Torts' accountability model is taking hold.  That said, there's still plenty of games to lose.  Torts said it post-game.  They chase the game too much by constantly giving up the first goal.  

Tomorrow's game is at 4, which reminds me to put up the thread.  

• Like 4

It was a good win. Flyers looked like they skipped the holiday and were practicing instead, although I know they’re not allowed to do that. But they did look good and not just “for the Flyers.“ Ersson had a great night. Konecny too.

a word about our $7.1mil man…

No surprise to see how slow he is but wow it is so much more noticeable when the rest of the skaters are all going good. Whenever he’s on the ice the pace takes a big hit and ultimately breaks down. Any other player I’d call it rust from the layoff but with Hayes it’s his usual. Most nights he’s at least been in the offensive mix but not last night last night he was a monkey wrench.