Samuel Ersson

Fizz

On 2/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, mojo1917 said:

This may be too pie in the sky for most posters. But, I can see where if some things break right for the Flyers they can be not too ****** in the near future.

If they keep buying into the Tortorella experience, have some prospects reach their ceilings and get some draft luck/ make some shrewd picks...they could be a team on the rise in a season or two.

Tortorella took the 8th place Blue Jackets in the Metropolitan and over the course of five years transformed them into the 8th place team in the Central.

In the middle were some playoff years, and they even won a round.

And were right back where they started five years later.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, mojo1917 said:

This would presume a some much better pro scouting and salary cap management, which is always the bitch kitty when I think about this team's future.

I think having 2 really good goalies and maybe a great one and a really good one speeds the return to respectability. 

So, a middling, bubble playoff team that makes the playoffs more often than they miss, eh?

Well, it's a marginal improvement on the past decade, I guess...

Talent wins playoff rounds. Talent wins Stanley Cups.

Grit, hard work, and determination can only get so far without talent.

They have a fifth of the cap on IR - and I don't mean @OccamsRazor's fifth, either. Potentially for the next two seasons, and $13+M on the cap potentially for two more after that.

It just goes to show that you don't build around guys in their early 30s.

This team and org hasn’t taken a single step toward becoming a sustainably better team and if you think they have you are delusional.

My sense is 95% of the posts on the Flyers’ board are coming from the standpoint of “I want this to be true” instead of “I believe this to be true.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

This team and org hasn’t taken a single step toward becoming a sustainably better team and if you think they have you are delusional.

My sense is 95% of the posts on the Flyers’ board are coming from the standpoint of “I want this to be true” instead of “I believe this to be true.”

This is not wrong.

I see Washington making moves to stockpile talent,  I see St Louis doing the same.

Both will have won cups and restocked before the Flyers become "not ******" at the rate they are going

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is not wrong.

I see Washington making moves to stockpile talent,  I see St Louis doing the same.

Both will have won cups and restocked before the Flyers become "not ******" at the rate they are going

buuuuutttt …. We are .500 team and only need to sign FA. (Sarcasm Font and eye rolling)

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

This is not wrong.

This has ALWAYS been the problem since Homer "won the trades" (and honestly before that, but they had actually built a core that their vaunted organizational culture apparently allowed to become party central - why don't they just buy everyone a Porsche? #toosoon - if you want to believe that instead of the obvious fact that they just BROKE Mike Richards and then dumped his contract).

But I digress...

The organization* insisted that building around the VeeGees would work, despite the fact that they were never the best players in their division, much less the league.

They now insist that building around a bunch of guys in their late 20s and early 30s that no one else wanted is the core of a successful franchise.

And that's not working.

The Rangers and Devils are already ahead of the Flyers and the Flyers losing in seven to the Cup Finalist Rangers TEN YEARS AGO was a "good sign."

Both of them never pretended that "spending to the cap" and "competing every year" was a viable strategy.

The Rangers were a Cup Finalist, tore it all down, and are a seriously competitive franchise making deadline moves to acquire "star" rental players ALL SINCE THEN.

The Flyers were a Cup Finalist and continue to aspire to be a middling bubble playoff team. The main difference between them and the Coyotes is that the Flyers don't need to pretend to get to the cap floor. Like the Habs, they spend to the ceiling to get mediocre results.

That's the unfortunate truth.

Sad Sponge Bob GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3