Samuel Ersson

Fizz

13 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Is Ersson's play making Hart tradeable?

Not that DumbChuck would get what he is worth though.

No don't jinx the kid. Nice to see him playing well but don't jump the gun on trading Carter Hart.

But for sure he can take Sandstrom's spot who he has seem to have passed form the eye ball test.

Ersson’s play only proves he should have been here all year. He should get the bulk of the remaining games to see if he can handle the load. 

His current sample size isn’t enough to even think about trading Hart.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Ersson’s play only proves he should have been here all year. He should get the bulk of the remaining games to see if he can handle the load. 

His current sample size isn’t enough to even think about trading Hart.

The only draw back is i think he may be better down in the AHL leading them through the playoffs it would be a good chance to bond early with the kids i think. 

If he can push them deep in the playoff in the AHL it may be more beneficial for him down there than going ahead and get him started being inside his own head on the defunct Flyers. Plenty of time for all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fizz said:

This and the fact you don't trade a goalie like Hart till you have that stud goalie waiting too Flyers need a stud backup Ersson can be that starting next season and beyond makes Felix trade bait more likely.

You can flip Felix during the offseason but you ain't getting much for him now. He isn't waiver exempt.

And by next year they will know more of what they have in Ersson and he will be only a RFA up for maybe a 2 year deal.

When the 3rd goalie arrives which seems to be Sam well the brass needs to be proactive and not lose any kid for free.

7 hours ago, radoran said:

You may have that reversed.

What has Felix ever shown, well, ever?

That is what I'm saying he'll be the odd man out.

I mean he is under contract for next season. 

It just more likely won't be with the Flyers.

I am hoping they could move him for something not just give him away.

And we'll to be honest Ersson is waiver exempt for next season too so they could go into next season just as well keeping Sandstrom to backup Hart and sending Ersson down.

Since when ever has the Flyers been known to do the right thing?

• Like 1

I don't know maybe not. They seem content to ruin the rest of the roster these days...

Remember for years it was always "Flyers need goaltending." They coulda/shoulda/woulda but they had no goaltending. Then Hart comes along and they finally have solid goaltending - Ersson adds more - and now they can't score and they can't defend.

The Flyers will ruin Ersson the same way they're ruining Hart - by making him play in front of a halfass roster.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The Flyers will ruin Ersson the same way they're ruining Hart - by making him play in front of a halfass roster.

I don't think that's a thing.  Goalies don't get bad at goaltending by seeing a lot of high quality shots, or even by losing a lot games.  Discouraged?  Sure.  Become bad goalies?  No.  Luongo was in FLA for, what, 6 years?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fizz said:

Is Ersson's play making Hart tradeable?

There are a few scenarios where Hart or Errson would be traded.  If Ersson eventually becomes the next Lundqvist in goal, then that would make Hart expendable. If Ersson becomes a real good goalie, he would want to become a starter and would demand a trade. The better Ersson plays the more we have to pay him, eventually you can’t be paying a backup goalie four or five million a year. So then we would have to trade him. If there is another expansion draft, you can’t protect two goalies, so that’s another scenario. Let’s say Ersson becomes as good as Hart and we still suck 3 years from now, then you keep the younger goalie . 

17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

There are a few scenarios where Hart or Errson would be traded.  If Ersson eventually becomes the next Lundqvist in goal, then that would make Hart expendable. If Ersson becomes a real good goalie, he would want to become a starter and would demand a trade. The better Ersson plays the more we have to pay him, eventually you can’t be paying a backup goalie four or five million a year. So then we would have to trade him. If there is another expansion draft, you can’t protect two goalies, so that’s another scenario. Let’s say Ersson becomes as good as Hart and we still suck 3 years from now, then you keep the younger goalie . 

Well Ersson doesn't have much leverage right now he'll be 24 in the last year of his entry level contract next year and is a RFA.

He plays well then I can see him getting a two year bridge deal.

Then by the time they are entering th e last year of that deal he will be 26 and then well Flyers will have to make a decision.

Unless by the end of next season the last Carter Hart is under contract before being a RFA they decide to go ahead and move Hart then well someone will have some big balls to make that call.

But if you want to talk blockbuster well you could move him this summer and we'll go into 2023-24 with Sandstrom and Ersson.

Big Cahones to do that.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Ersson doesn't have much leverage right now he be 24 in the last year of his entry level contract.

He plays well then I can see him getting a two year bridge deal.

Then by the time they are entering th e last year of that deal he will be 26 and then well Flyers will have to make a decision.

Unless by the end of next season the last Carter Hart is under contract before being a RFA they decide to go ahead and move Hart then well someone will have some big balls to make that call.

But if you want to talk blockbuster well you could move him this summer and we'll go into 2023-24 with Sandstrom and Ersson.

Big Cahones to do that.

Well, if the Flyers top  notch panel for judging talent thinks Ersson is gonna be great and a total rebuild is imminent and  if they trade guys like TK and Provy, then there’s no point in keeping Hart if you get an incredible offer for him, especially if another rebuild is starting again. 

41 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

and a total rebuild is imminent

Sorry but that made me laugh out loud at work.

I thought moving on from Giroux after getting rid of Jake was that signal?

Maybe they didn't get the memo but that is when it should have happened the offseason after moving on from Giroux.

They missed the boat...

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but that made me laugh out loud at work.

I thought moving on from Giroux after getting rid of Jake was that signal?

Maybe they didn't get the memo but that is when it should have happened the offseason after moving on from Giroux.

They missed the boat...

No, that was the first agressive retool.

2 hours ago, aziz said:

I don't think that's a thing.  Goalies don't get bad at goaltending by seeing a lot of high quality shots, or even by losing a lot games.  Discouraged?  Sure.  Become bad goalies?  No.  Luongo was in FLA for, what, 6 years?

Sure. I don’t mean a goalie will deteriorate technically I just mean it’s hard playing on a team that stinks, especially as a goalie. If players are getting discouraged, not so much from losing games but because they see no hope for the future, their games may be suffering as a result. Yes they’re all professionals and nothing’s supposed to interfere with giving 100% every shift. Of course it doesn’t work that way. 

That could be what’s happening with Farabee. Or maybe he never healed from his neck surgery. Who knows. I wonder the same about Sanheim and Provorov. Something more than the usual crapshoot of player development is going on….at least it sure seems that way. Good young players failing to develop their games is hardly unique to the O&B but the Flyers’ success rate has to be one of the worst in the NHL. 

10 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

No, that was the first agressive retool.

Their mistake then.

That was when they should have rebuilt.

Blown it up call it whatever you like.

Like the Blues seem to be doing.

But the Flyers won't ever let go of the let's just get in and anything can happen mind set.

Basically what has been repeated a million times here.

So eff em I'm not watching.

Ersson has some dawg in him.

I like his demeanor.

I'd try to hang on to him.

This may be too pie in the sky for most posters. But, I can see where if some things break right for the Flyers they can be not too ****** in the near future.

If they keep buying into the Tortorella experience, have some prospects reach their ceilings and get some draft luck/ make some shrewd picks...they could be a team on the rise in a season or two.

This would presume a some much better pro scouting and salary cap management, which is always the bitch kitty when I think about this team's future.

I think having 2 really good goalies and maybe a great one and a really good one speeds the return to respectability. 

I think a moron looks at Ersson and thinks he makes Hart expendable. I hope that moron isn't making any moves for the Flyers front office. 

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I hope that moron isn't making any moves for the Flyers front office. 

This is the only "pie in the sky" sentiments in your post that I can see. The rest makes perfect sense. Under Tortorella they're playing like a team again (usually) and if the journeymen types find their games again - Provorov, Sanheim and Farabee - they should be a respectably decent team next year. And if the younger guys continue to develop, gain confidence and take on a bigger role - Frost, York etc.

But all that is out the window because the moron(s) is still lurking in the front office ready to "improve" this team at the TD. Oh yeah!

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Ersson has some dawg in him.

I like his demeanor.

I'd try to hang on to him.

This may be too pie in the sky for most posters. But, I can see where if some things break right for the Flyers they can be not too ****** in the near future.

If they keep buying into the Tortorella experience, have some prospects reach their ceilings and get some draft luck/ make some shrewd picks...they could be a team on the rise in a season or two.

This would presume a some much better pro scouting and salary cap management, which is always the bitch kitty when I think about this team's future.

I think having 2 really good goalies and maybe a great one and a really good one speeds the return to respectability. 

I think a moron looks at Ersson and thinks he makes Hart expendable. I hope that moron isn't making any moves for the Flyers front office. 

Torts has gotten more development out of the young guys than anyone previously and in a short period of time, especially with the forwards and the goalies. That one good season under Vigneault during the pandemic must have been a fluke , cause we have sucked every other year.  We still suck ,but we do have some players advancing their game , we are much more competitive and we don’t go on multiple 10 game losing streaks any more.

The biggest problem is a lack of a real first line and a real first pair on defense. Our supposed top two dmen ,Sanheim and Provy are still inconsistent and should be a lot better, at best they are a #3 and #4 pair right now. York is playing well and Torts even has Risto playing better, but he’s a third pair guy,Seeler is a #6 /7 and has played well. Tony DA is not the answer and should be dumped asap. Up front we have some solid young second/third liners. Tippett, Frost, Cates, Allison, Farabee. At this point I think the only legit first line forward we have is TK,  we have to hope that someone from this group of Brink, Foerester ,Gauthier and this years pick can eventually become first line guys. As for the defense, unless some miracle occurs and Sanheim and Provy turn up their games in a big way, we don’t have anyone in the pipeline that’s even close to a first pair defenseman, York has skill but at best he’s a #2 , Attard is our best blue line prospect but probably a #3 guy. So, although we do have some good young players and prospects and there is hope , unless we come up with two first line forwards and a at least a true #1 defenseman we will only become a playoff pretender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think having 2 really good goalies

Next year will tell us a lot.

If you want to rebuild well Hart will have one more season on his current contract.

Maybe a new GM wants to put his stamp on the club and well decides to move Hart for a very good return.

He will be a RFA so not sure you'd want to move him at the deadline or wait till the off season.

But you could be aggressive like the Blues and turn it around.

Not saying it will just saying it could.

It makes me nervous to think about moving a goalie considering how long it took them to find him but I just don't really GAF about this team anymore.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It makes me nervous to think about moving a goalie considering how long it took them to find him but I just don't really GAF about this team anymore.

Yeah it’s hard to GAF when the only strategy a.k.a. Anything Can Happen was based on making the POs but now the Flyers can’t even manage that. The few times they do - I don’t count the COVID Round Robin - it’s an entirely predictable quick exit. 

So trade Hart trade Ersson trade the whole damn team who cares. 

• Good Post 1