Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It amazes me how this franchise can take really good hockey players and turn them into stiffs, while overpaying or over terming them, or both.

Agreed.

I mean, honestly, I don't have a huge problem with the player. He had a terrible year on a terrible team.  He needs to take responsibility for his contribution to the terrible team thing.  But the kid has shown he can play (YMMV).  On a flailing team looking to rebuild, though  he's way overpriced and way over-termed.   I mean, we might be able to dump him if we wanted to work at getting rid of him, but unless Fletcher is hired somewhere else, you're not getting someone to trade absurd picks or prospects for that cost and term. Certainly not for a second pair defenseman (at best).

If you really want to get rid of him, you package him with Hart in a deal with Montreal.  I think he'll be a cap killer for them later if not right away, but it's possible you get their #31 and something.  A 3rd next year? You're tacitly trading off on the better return you would have otherwise received for Hart, but you're still getting a first and dumping a terrible contract.

I think the 3rd is arguably too much, but maybe not 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

But he's signed at >$6M until he's 33.  It's simply an asinine contract before you add the NTC into it.

If you can find some idiot to give you a first round pick for that player and situation, by all means do it and laugh your ass all the way home. 

This.

There are teams that do need to get to the floor teams that have time attracting players because of various reasons so if this teams have cap space think they can get this kid playing well and they have a need/hole sure why would they not take him in even a salary dump for something minor back???

It was even rumored that the current management didn't sign him to that deal and wouldn't be married to him if an offer that worked for them was on the table by SanAnt...sure very unlikely. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This.

There are teams that do need to get to the floor teams that have time attracting players because of various reasons so if this teams have cap space think they can get this kid playing well and they have a need/hole sure why would they not take him in even a salary dump for something minor back???

It was even rumored that the current management didn't sign him to that deal and wouldn't be married to him if an offer that worked for them was on the table by SanAnt...sure very unlikely. 

What does his no trade look like? Do you know?  Because I think a trade to the teams that fit your description might be nixed by it, but I don't know the specifics. Do you know if it's a full or is it one of those he has to list either "yes" teams or "no" teams?

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed.

I mean, honestly, I don't have a huge problem with the player. He had a terrible year on a terrible team.  He needs to take responsibility for his contribution to the terrible team thing.  But the kid has shown he can play (YMMV).  On a flailing team looking to rebuild, though  he's way overpriced and way over-termed.   I mean, we might be able to dump him if we wanted to work at getting rid of him, but unless Fletcher is hired somewhere else, you're not getting someone to trade absurd picks or prospects for that cost and term. Certainly not for a second pair defenseman (at best).

If you really want to get rid of him, you package him with Hart in a deal with Montreal.  I think he'll be a cap killer for them later if not right away, but it's possible you get their #31 and something.  A 3rd next year? You're tacitly trading off on the better return you would have otherwise received for Hart, but you're still getting a first and dumping a terrible contract.

I think the 3rd is arguably too much, but maybe not 

What would give us all a better idea if he was to be for once in his whole career to be put with a very very sound stay at home type who could help him eliminate mistakes to see how he responds...but it seems the Flyers are allergic to those types of D men and always prefer your "2 way or offensive types" to pair him with.

And i don't count Provy time because he too was to busy working on his game as well hence he gone.

I hope if Danny does have him in his plans he wants to give him that type of player.

But will he Risto just isn't that dude...

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If you really want to get rid of him, you package him with Hart in a deal with Montreal.  I think he'll be a cap killer for them later if not right away, but it's possible you get their #31 and something. 

I'd do this for real eff their cap issues...

• Like 1

Anyone have any input on the kid they take with the 22nd my scouting has fallen off the last year or so...he is small so not a fan of that off the bat.

This late i like Samuel Honzek better.

FyRTgygWYAEaArt.jpg.ece0556cae1c3a490f7d754559052b92.jpg

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not following.

York

Walker

Risto

Seeler

Zaumla

Attard

And that would be assuming they move TDA which well they have plenty of guys.

Not saying the team will be good but it wouldn't be with Samheim either.

I guess I should have said good or even decent D men. 

If we're going full tank then sure, trade him and anybody else for that matter but if you want a half decent D for a step backward to leap forward then it's dicey. Especially since I'd like them to trade Risto as well. 

On a side note I heard today that Walker and Frost are best buds so I guess he will fit in quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

I guess I should have said good or even decent D men. 

If we're going full tank then sure

I'm not calling a tank just purging of guys who don't fit what i want in my future hockey team nothing more - nothing personal or even mad about the contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not calling a tank just purging of guys who don't fit what i want in my future hockey team nothing more - nothing personal or even mad about the contract. 

I guess you have to ask when is a purge a tank? Or when is a tank a tank? 

How much of a team gets stripped away for it to pass a point where it becomes a tank regardless of what you call it? 

We were bad this year. If we trade away a good chunk of the team for picks and prospects you are looking 2-3 years down the road minimum before we start winning or even rising. I'm going to wait and see if we are going full on or half measure before getting into the pros and cons of that. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I guess you have to ask when is a purge a tank?

As a GM he has to know when the best time to pull the trigger.

Some of these just make the best honest moves for both sides and move on.

I am good giving Sanheim another year or two unless i get an offer i can't refuse.

He is the last one left of the infamous shot on the beach Provy, Sanehim, Morin, Ghost and Hagg. All drafted all should be hope...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

What does the word is mean?

It's a question of how far you go. If you cut the deadwood and still have part of a core to move forward with, it's not a tank. If we trade Hart and go with Peterson next year it's definitely moving into tank territory. 

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

As a GM he has to know when the best time to pull the trigger.

Some of these just make the best honest moves for both sides and move on.

I am good giving Sanheim another year or two unless i get an offer i can't refuse.

He is the last one left of the infamous shot on the beach Provy, Sanehim, Morin, Ghost and Hagg. All drafted all should be hope...

Without question if the offer is good enough you can (and should) trade anyone. I just have other priorities as I know you do as well but right now everything's in a kind of foggy Hayes.......................

• 2 weeks later...

20 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Dealornodeal GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I can see them selecting York's partner for the next 10 plus years...

Andrea and Grans as the 2nd pair so where would that leave Sanheim??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can see them selecting York's partner for the next 10 plus years...

I get that the Flyers could use a #1 center or forward, but Reinbacher is the top rated D-man in this years draft, from what I read.   The Flyers have so many holes it will take 2 or 3 years to fill.  I won't be upset if that is the route they choose.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I get that the Flyers could use a #1 center or forward, but Reinbacher is the top rated D-man in this years draft, from what I read.   The Flyers have so many holes it will take 2 or 3 years to fill.  I won't be upset if that is the route they choose.

I agree and he no doubt helps them fill out their top 4.

York - Reinbacher 

Andrea - Grans

--------------------------

Sanheim - Risto

On paper that would be a very brutal bottom pair and expensive.

Danny would have to have a plan if it was to roll out like this.

Trade the bottom pair guys out and roll with Zamula and Attard instead.

• Like 1

I really want no part of Reinbacher. This isn't the year to draft a defenseman. Next year though, is something else. As many as fifteen defensemen could go in the first, nine alone being right handed defensemen. 

I was also reading that

St Louis was getting into the Konecny race. I posted on another board Scandella, the Toronto 1st and Zachary Bolduc would be a package that could get it done (Bolduc reminds me so much of Simon Gagne).

• Like 1