Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well if you want to get rid of somebody you need to find creative ways to do that. Why not trade a guy with multiple years left on his deal for a guy with a soon to expire contract? It would be all about money, and not about keeping DeBrincat long term . 

Ok. I see your point. I'd have no problem with that

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

No he was traded last summer.

image.thumb.png.ea578d641a099a4abbe941b7c19a25bd.png

He is is only 25 and is an RFA this summer.

image.png.061ad4a6eccb611a07e063ddd693649f.png

He is a sniper who many of us wanted the Flyers to draft back when he was draft eligible.  The knock on him at the time was he is on the smaller size. 

image.png.6dad60a0e3d5c6a2509fdb07da2e50e2.png

Now granted much of his success in Chicago was because he skated alongside either Kane or Toews.  However, for the right price, I would not mind him being on the Flyers.

His 66 points would have led the Flyers.  His 27 goals would have tied with Tippett for 2nd (TK had 31) and his 39 assists would have led the team.

Slide him next to Frost and see what happens .....

I would offer 4 x 6 million ........

I just worry about a player who changes teams so often. Revolving door doesn't sound like a good approach

The exit door should be removed from the hinges

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CoachX said:

Wasn't that guy one of the big trades a few seasons ago? I think Chicago jettisoned him so they could rebuild. Not sure it sounds logical to trade for him as a rebuild piece. Why would he want that? He'd prolly be a pouch bytch and cost us in the long run

He's a RW Flyers have RWs coming out their asses. Pass.

Coming off a contract that is paying him 6.4 mill and will want something around 7.5-8.5 mill per season so really they need to worry about making room for the guys they already have at RW not taking on more. 

Now if he was a center then you have my attention. Otherwise hard pass.

Find a LW/C/RHD. Those are Danny's priorities and when i say that i mean young prospects.

They will have to move guys they have now for younger prospect more likely to teams that are one of two pieces away from a serious run - more likely all the teams you see in the current playoffs.

After this run they will more likely identify they need more because their can only be one winner so by then will know more.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I just worry about a player who changes teams so often. Revolving door doesn't sound like a good approach

The exit door should be removed from the hinges

I get your point .... he was traded because Chicago went nuclear option to rebuild and wanted every opportunity to have maximum suckage in order to try to land Bedard and picks.  He skated primarily with either Giroux or Batherson with the Sens.

Again ...not his fault he was traded.  He was on his last year of his contract he signed with the Hawks in 2019 with the Sens this past year.  I would not classify him as a player who habitually changes teams .....

Again .... I am totally ok if the Flyers want to pursue him ....  We can agree to disagree here ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I get your point .... he was traded because Chicago went nuclear option to rebuild and wanted every opportunity to have maximum suckage in order to try to land Bedard and picks.  He skated primarily with either Giroux or Batherson with the Sens.

Again ...not his fault he was traded.  He was on his last year of his contract he signed with the Hawks in 2019 with the Sens this past year.  I would not classify him as a player who habitually changes teams .....

Again .... I am totally ok if the Flyers want to pursue him ....  We can agree to disagree here ...

No real disagreement. If they traded for him, I wouldn't throw a fit. Just trying to get perspective on this

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

e's a RW Flyers have RWs coming out their asses. Pass.

Disagree here ... outside of TK and Tippet who else is a proven NHL commodity.

Brink? not yet

JVR ...cough cough ...hopping he is gone

Brendan Lemieux ....gone after this year

Kiefer Bellows ...talk about a player making his rounds .....

Allison .?? I would take Debrincat over him both are 25

Laczynski?  again Debrincat >>> Laczynski he is also 25

Outside of TK and Tippet whom I like, Debrincat would be 3rd best RW on this team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If they traded for him

thing is they don't  have to trade for him ...he is a RFA... Flyers could make an offer and force Sens to match.....

Off course they could trade for his rights ......

Anyway ..... like I said ... I see your side too! :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Disagree here ... outside of TK and Tippet who else is a proven NHL commodity.

It's not so much about being proven but why would we block our own drafted kid who are ready for the next step - join the NHL....on a team that is rebuilding???

Foerster, Brink, Desnoyers and Lycksell and all ready to come up so why block them with a kid who will require 8 mill and will be 26 in mid season. Flyers need to be looking at their own 26 and older players and try and move them out to get younger.

Now if they were ready and missing a RW then sure but that isn't the case.

25 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Allison .?? I would take Debrincat over him both are 25

Laczynski?  again Debrincat >>> Laczynski he is also 25

Those two can fill out the bottom two lines they are already under contract for next season it very well could be their last in Philly too with all the younger kids coming up time is running out on them too.

Debrincat just doesn't fit a rebuild at this time. They may need to find takers for Ivan and Sanheim as well as think long and hard about moving TK as well as Coots and Atkinson also not having room for.

Now Coots you more likley can keep because well you don't have enough centers.

I have my centers as Coots, Frost, Laughton and Laczynski. Center options are limited.

• Good Post 1

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He's a RW Flyers have RWs coming out their asses. Pass

In addition...he also played LW for the Sens .... Looking at the depth chart for LW's for t he Flyers you have ....

Farabee .... coming along but Debrincat is still better here

Atkinson ...cough cough ...we all want him gone

There is literally no one else on the Flyers at LW who would be better than Debrincat..

Cates is both C/LW but he is just getting his feet wet.

Deslauriers ....ahhh ...no

Desnoyers ...has not proven anything yet .....

Gauthier ...still playing for Juniors ...maybe in a few years....

------------------------------------------------------------

Farabee - Coots - Tippett

Debrincat - Frost - TK

Laughton - Hayes (I want him gone) - Allison

I certainly would be ok with that .....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's not so much about being proven but why would we block our own drafted kid who are ready for the next step - join the NHL....on a team that is rebuilding???

Foerster, Brink, Desnoyers and Lycksell and all ready to come up so why block them with a kid who will require 8 mill and will be 26 in mid season. Flyers need to be looking at their own 26 and older players and try and move them out to get younger.

Now if they were ready and missing a RW then sure but that isn't the case.

Those two can fill out the bottom two lines they are already under contract for next season it very well could be their last in Philly too with all the younger kids coming up time is running out on them too.

Debrincat just doesn't fit a rebuild at this time. They may need to find takers for Ivan and Sanheim as well as think long and hard about moving TK as well as Coots and Atkinson also not having room for.

Now Coots you more likley can keep because well you don't have enough centers.

I have my centers as Coots, Frost, Laughton and Laczynski. Center options are limited.

See my post above .... Debrincat also plays LW .... 

I did forget about Foerster....as I have said before .... I think  he would fit.

We can agree to disagree here ...thats ok .....Besides its a moot point ..the Sens could match an offer anyway.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Looking at the depth chart for LW's for t he Flyers you have ....

Desnoyers is ready and the player maker they need in the top 6 he is my 2nd line LW till he's not.

Farabee-Couturier-Konecny

Desnoyers -Frost-Tippett

Cates-Laughton-Foerster

Deslauriers-Laczynski-Allison

Brink Atkinson

I hope they can move Cam.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

See my post above .... Debrincat also plays LW .... 

I did forget about Foerster....as I have said before .... I think  he would fit.

We can agree to disagree here ...thats ok .....Besides its a moot point ..the Sens could match an offer anyway.

He just doesn't fit my rebuild model at the time due to his age. Time is running out on Flyer's older prospects too.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He just doesn't fit my rebuild model at the time due to his age. Time is running out on Flyer's older prospects too.

Like I said ...agree to disagree.  if he was 29 totally agree. 25 is still young and works for me.  He is a proven sniper, something that we all hae complained about on here the Flyers do not have.

You DO make valid points though ....

• Like 1

Ottawa isn't taking three years of Kevin Hayes for DeBrincat's rights. Not even at a discount.

Ottawa will get something of actual value from a team that has plans to re-sign him.

This team also needs DeBrincat this year like it needed Gaudreau last year.

They don't.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Outside of TK and Tippet whom I like, Debrincat would be 3rd best RW on this team.

DeBrincat is better than either of those guys...

They still don't need him.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He's a RW Flyers have RWs coming out their asses. Pass.

Coming off a contract that is paying him 6.4 mill and will want something around 7.5-8.5 mill per season so really they need to worry about making room for the guys they already have at RW not taking on more. 

Now if he was a center then you have my attention. Otherwise hard pass.

Find a LW/C/RHD. Those are Danny's priorities and when i say that i mean young prospects.

They will have to move guys they have now for younger prospect more likely to teams that are one of two pieces away from a serious run - more likely all the teams you see in the current playoffs.

After this run they will more likely identify they need more because their can only be one winner so by then will know more.

BUT, would you trade him for Hayes?

If not, how would you get rid of Hayes?

7 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Ottawa won't, so there's that. Then there's Hayes' 10-team NTC, so there's that, too.

7 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

If the only way to move Hayes is to have Ottawa trade DeBrincat to the Flyers, then they're not moving Hayes.

It's not, and they probably are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Sure I would then trade him again for assets for the rebuild but as of right now they don't need him.

Now if he was 22 or 23 I would be more inclined to listen to an offer.

So pass on him because they wouldn't want Hayes back for him.

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Don't worry he is gone...

...just wait for the shoe to drop.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Somebody will take Hayes if his salary can be bargained down to a reasonable number. There shouldn’t be any need for the Flyers to add a “sweetener” if they retain 25-50%. If anything a late-round pick should come back to the Flyers if they retain more than 25%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Don't worry he is gone...

...just wait for the shoe to drop.

55 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The shoe needs to be firmly on the azz of the dead weight walking out the door

Charlie O’Connor from The Athletic has a great article. I have to copy and paste a few comments.

TDA is not happy…. I will be more than happy to drive him the hell out of dodge…