Bye, Bye O'Brien, Hello 2nd Round Draft Pick

Howie58

Greetings:

In case you haven't seen this, we will probably say auf wiedersehen to Jay O' Brien,  our 2018 1st rounder, and receive a second round pick this year or next depending on when we sever the relationship.  

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/philadelphia-flyers-first-round-pick-headed-to-free-agency

From my vantage, the big story here is another under/non-performing 1st round pick.  That is a primary culprit behind our franchise's ongoing nightmare.  So, here we have another example of bad drafting.  I will let you tell me the alternative picks we might have acquired who'd be making significant contributions.  As this story and others on the subject note, the dude's undrafted teammates are outperforming him.  

I give Briere kudos for cutting the cord sooner than later.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

wait, if he walks, how do the Flyers get a 2nd? :thinking:

Dear Cheesesteak,

Apparently, the league compensates teams with a second if they allow their first round  picks to go unsigned.  It doesn't happen often, as other articles on this subject note.  If they cut ties before season's end, we get the second now.  If I understand correctly, if we do it over the summer, it is next year's draft.  If we do it this year, the team recovers our lost second from the Rasto deal.  

Edited by Howie58

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Dear Cheesesteak,

Apparently, the league compensates teams with a second if they allow their first round  picks to go unsigned.  It doesn't happen often, as other article on this subject note.  If they cut ties before season's end, we wet the second now.  If I understand correctly, if we do it over the summer, it is next year's draft.  If we do it this year, the team recovers our lost second from the Rasto deal.  

It will give them a better chance now to land a Samu Tuomaala type now lol.

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

From my vantage, the big story here is another under/non-performing 1st round pick.  That is a primary culprit behind our franchise's ongoing nightmare.  So, here we have another example of bad drafting.  I will let you tell me the alternative picks we might have acquired who'd be making significant contributions.  As this story and others on the subject note, the dude's undrafted teammates are outperforming him.  

Honestly @Howie58...I looked at the 208 Draft.  If you are looking at some star stud the Flyers passed on...well there are none.

image.png.5bf1201c464bca0613190b73ab15f53e.png

Here is Round #2:  ...again no real big names

image.png.45b233941b171f0a729ae2283087226e.png

image.png.bc0573168209bc74d42152b54f9b1f97.png

Nothing riveting ......

So as much as we want to bitch and moan about the pick ... there really are no star studded players currently playing in the NHL that the Flyers by-passed.  There are a few defencemen the Flyers potentially could have drafted. (Ryan Merkley / K'Andre Miller)

Kirill Marchenko taken at #49 maybe could have the makings of a decent Forward in Columbus.  He had, however, had to fulfill his time in the KHL ....
image.png.70e2d74e973a67b279522354a282d110.png

Again .. Marchenko might be a stretch here ....

But yes .... Jay  O'Brian was a wasted picke and must of us on here hated the pick at the time ......

image.png

Edited by pilldoc

Here is our discussion regarding about said pick .....

image.thumb.png.f07b934fa3d031e21a678468454ebaf7.png

"The obvious question that comes up with O’Brien is the level of competition he played against. We got a small glimpse of that at both the prospect’s game and when he played for the USDP. He played a game against Michigan State where although he didn’t score, he made some noticeable plays. He didn’t look out of place against more experienced competition. The thing I’d like to see is continued improvement on the defensive end. He has improved there and shown flashes. I just want to see him do it against men. He’ll get his chance to do that as his next stop is Providence to play for the Friars in 2018-19.

O’Brien has the tools to carve out a role in the middle six at the next level. He’s a bit of a longer-term project given that he’s just finishing up high school. With proper development, he could become one of the best early day-two picks.

So was this a reach  by Hexy???"

"this was a SCOUTS pick bit of a reach but could payoff down the road,...."

"Hate it. Absolutely hate it. This was a reach and they could have easily traded down for him. I'm so upset by this pick."

"You just never know with these high school kids. It's easy to confirm rumors that such and such a team followed Jay around for half the year....or your own scouts see the other scouts and confirm. That gives a clue that a certain team may be interested. The scouts, coaches, fans all have a pipeline as to who is showing interest. Bottom line, if Hexy likes this kid, go get him. Don't even take the chance of trading back. We don't have the info they have. I like this pick. Off the radar, but again, SPEED. I want speed to be first and foremost. If you don't have it, don't draft them. Speed, good hands at the HS level.....I trust Hexy and his scouts here. "

"Both players (Farabee/OBrian) have great motors, skill, high IQ, work ethic...I'm fine with both picks. Maybe a reach for OB but the kid looks like a real gamer to me.

I watched some shift by shift vid of him a couple weeks ago and thought it'd be great if we could steal him in the 2nd...but as a player I'm happy we got him."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

So as much as we want to bitch and moan about the pick ... there really are no star studded players currently playing in the NHL that the Flyers by-passed.

Not really you can take a page from Howie Roseman...you can always trade it for a future 1st rounder or even multiple picks and what not you don't always have to use it.

But we'll just say for sake of arguing they tried and no one wanted to move up...don't really believe it but either way water under the bridge.

But another brick removed from the how great a GM Ron was wall. Some even think he is still worse than Chuck. lol.

Not even here to argue that anymore either just ready to look forward. Chuck's best trade is for Tippett.

Only guy i like more at the time was Jacob Bernard-Docker being a right hand defenseman who has a solid two way game.

Might be able to use him with the Flyers current lineup. Kupari too would have been a solid pick. Maybe a little soft for Philly as of now.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not really you can take a page from Howie Roseman...you can always trade it for a future 1st rounder or even multiple picks and what not you don't always have to use it.

Excellent point ....hard to argue against this train of thought.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

But we'll just say for sake of arguing they tried and no one wanted to move up...don't really believe it but either way water under the bridge.

yup .....

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, Howie58 said:

I give Briere kudos for cutting the cord sooner than later.  

A sad sad read...

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/post/ron-hextall-flyers-draft-mistakes-jay-obrien-nolan-patrick/

In summation, here are the players drafted by Hextall in the first 36 picks from 2015 to 2018:

• Ivan Provorov (7th)
  • Travis Konecny (24th)
  • German Rubtsov (22nd)
  • Pascal Laberge (36th)
  • Nolan Patrick (2nd)
  • Morgan Frost (27th)
  • Isaac Ratcliffe (35th)
  • Joel Farabee (14th)
  • Jay O'Brien (19th)

Out of those nine, four have turned into true NHL players (Provorov, Konecny, Frost, Farabee) while the other five have gone down their own paths for one reason or another.

• Good Post 1