Round 1, Game 4: Minnesota Wild vs Dallas Stars, Sunday 4-23-23, 5:30pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

I'll set aside the officiating aspect, many bad calls on both sides. We ask our respective players to be in playoffs mode, the refs should do the same.

The intensity was still there. The Wild was the better team, they were faster, stronger, more physical, especially in the first half of the game. The Stars had two quick shots on the post, maybe they were thinking it would be offensively ok and they let let blatant holes in the neutral zone, creating lots of breakaways and odd-man rushes for Minnesota (I think it was 7-1 Wild on this aspect during the second period). But Öttinger shut the door and we can admit he kinda stole this game.

The identity of both teams are very different and each one is trying to capitalize on their strengths, and that makes an interesting series. But at that point it's a matter of details and puck luck. The Stars first goal is a lucky bounce, Klingberg's tally comes from an unfortunate block from Lindell who followed a post from Dell'Andrea on the other side, Gaudreau's goal came from a shot on the post that deflected directly on him, you have those little stick plays that deflect puck, changing trajectories for a little... I think so far it's a series of details and having a 2-2 tie is quite legit so far.  

• Good Post 1

14 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

We can bitch about the refs all we want but this team has a handful of grade A chances and failed 

I agree also with Math view, Oettinger helped to steal this game  from us. We had pretty nice grade A chances which he was able to take.

I started to compare hockey playoffs games with a fight of gladiators. The winner has a better enormous physical and mental resistance, of course, combined with talent, than his opponent.

15 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I hope BG and DE read this. 
Last year they promised to improve the PP. Fail. The PP was a little better early in the year, but now it may actually be worse than last year. 
Their face offs continue to be horrid and to make it worse and the end of the game with no goalie they have their worst  face off man taking the draw against Dallas’s best. Really?

What are the odds of Fleury in net for the next game?

How long will it take for DE or BG to wake up and realize they have a coaching problem?

BG got rid of the locker room problem, now he needs to get rid of the coaching problem. 

BG would have to clean house of all the main coaches. Evason would never cherry pick Darby for example and oust him, Even tho it's obvious there's not a good plan on the PP designed. We all see it.
BG can bring in all the quality players for it he wants but if the basic design is wrong, It won't work.

3 hours ago, Math said:

I'll set aside the officiating aspect, many bad calls on both sides. We ask our respective players to be in playoffs mode, the refs should do the same.

The intensity was still there. The Wild was the better team, they were faster, stronger, more physical, especially in the first half of the game. The Stars had two quick shots on the post, maybe they were thinking it would be offensively ok and they let let blatant holes in the neutral zone, creating lots of breakaways and odd-man rushes for Minnesota (I think it was 7-1 Wild on this aspect during the second period). But Öttinger shut the door and we can admit he kinda stole this game.

The identity of both teams are very different and each one is trying to capitalize on their strengths, and that makes an interesting series. But at that point it's a matter of details and puck luck. The Stars first goal is a lucky bounce, Klingberg's tally comes from an unfortunate block from Lindell who followed a post from Dell'Andrea on the other side, Gaudreau's goal came from a shot on the post that deflected directly on him, you have those little stick plays that deflect puck, changing trajectories for a little... I think so far it's a series of details and having a 2-2 tie is quite legit so far.  

Absolutely, He got into position and made huge saves when we had a lot of net in view. Got a glove out or leg in a spot and we happened to hit them. Game of inches. 

Ottinger Gave up a lot of rebounds last night when they shot from his right. Shooting from closer to center of the rink he swallowed the rebound. Unfortunately the Wild never had anyone available for those rebounds and never tried shooting from his right because they have so few right handed shots and they kept trying to crash in tight. 
The bottom line is they can beat this guy, but they need to change their approach. 

Do those refs travel with the series...?  Or will there be different refs in Dallas...?  

Man, someone should be talking to them...  Dallas had a couple the other night that I'm like "what?!?" - so maybe they just suck for both teams...?  Obviously these refs should not be determining a series and letting people play until they push it too far - but no doubt Folingno pissed one of them off...

6 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

BG would have to clean house of all the main coaches. Evason would never cherry pick Darby for example and oust him, Even tho it's obvious there's not a good plan on the PP designed. We all see it.
BG can bring in all the quality players for it he wants but if the basic design is wrong, It won't work.

That would be fine with me.  How long do we need to listen to DE say we need to get better with no results? 

At the end of the it's on DE.

• Like 1

In our latest episode we react to Game #4 and talk about what happened and what needs to be done moving forward.  

The Wild had plenty of opportunities to win that game even with the poor calls.  You're not going to win with a 56% penalty kill, unless you stay out of the box altogether.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Confrontational said:

Do those refs travel with the series...?  Or will there be different refs in Dallas...?  

Man, someone should be talking to them...  Dallas had a couple the other night that I'm like "what?!?" - so maybe they just suck for both teams...?  Obviously these refs should not be determining a series and letting people play until they push it too far - but no doubt Folingno pissed one of them off...

Unfortunately, they certainly did in game#4. Two wrong penalties with poor PK from our side cost us 2 goals on our net. We had a chance to win that game at least with a score 2:1.