On the Panthers...Relative to the O&B

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This has always been the Flyers downfall. I guess we'll see if it's any different with Briere but I'm sure not holding my breath on it.

And we should.

Briere's trust must be earned.

Trust like thar should never be a given.

I just try to remain cautiously optimistic.

Best I can do.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And we should.

Briere's trust must be earned.

Trust like thar should never be a given.

I just try to remain cautiously optimistic.

Best I can do.

I'm optimistic, only because he can't possibly be worse than his predecessor. 

• Good Post 1

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm optimistic, only because he can't possibly be worse than his predecessor. 

It really can't first minute Danny took the job Flyers improved.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But see they're not.

No they don't. Many get sent to the practice squad and have to still develop for  year or two or even longer. 

Some go to the CFL or XFL or USFL. Or Arena league and still have to earn their spot.

So no it isn't different really the plan should be to build the foundation through the draft and plug holes when need be through free agency.

Have some good vets in place to help the kids along their paths.

The problem is one organization has a clear plan/mission and the other seems to be just winging it...

Top draft picks play right away in the NFL. Instant impacts. 

Sure, on a good team some picks start in support roles but if all your draft picks end up on the practice squad you won't be a GM very long. 

We agree fully on the bolded sentence. A perfect example of why a Risto type trade is exactly what you DON'T do. 

I'd say if your team is a trainwreck (Flyers) the first though is create a work ethic and solid team culture. That's what I think they are trying to do and that's where the "subtraction" comes in. Anybody who doesn't fit that culture has to go asap so they don't work against it. You might get worse before you get better as a result. Depends. 

After that, you build with the draft but it will take a long time to get really good and will require some good drafts. But there is no other better path. 

38 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

After that, you build with the draft but it will take a long time to get really good and will require some good drafts. But there is no other better path. 

And that beats constantly striving to be a borderline playoff team. 

• Like 2

Many of these decisions come from the very top. Some came from Fletcher, who was in way over his head. He was incompetent in Minnesota, and continued making bad judgements here in Philly. So was Hextall. So was Holmgren, really. Part of it remains, however..that the Flyers problem is Comcast ,and was Dave Scott, until he left. Who knows what Hilferty will bring? Probably more of the same, but I want to be impressed. If Danny Briere is allowed to work without constant badgering from the higher ups, I'll allow myself to be optimistic. I am not. The only trade of those that Fletcher made, was the trade for Tippett. I think that can and will be looked at, as a very good move. Other than that, he didn't do diddly poo. Neither did ol' Hexy, who did nothing here but acquire draft picks, and wore out his welcome in Pittsburgh.. faster than he swung his stick at Kent Nilsson's ankles as a Flyer goalie.

38 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Top draft picks play right away in the NFL. Instant impacts. 

Sure, on a good team some picks start in support roles but if all your draft picks end up on the practice squad you won't be a GM very long. 

We agree fully on the bolded sentence. A perfect example of why a Risto type trade is exactly what you DON'T do. 

I'd say if your team is a trainwreck (Flyers) the first though is create a work ethic and solid team culture. That's what I think they are trying to do and that's where the "subtraction" comes in. Anybody who doesn't fit that culture has to go asap so they don't work against it. You might get worse before you get better as a result. Depends. 

Semantics.

Doesn't matter.

You have to hit on your draft picks.

The NFL doesn't have a development league so to speak and the difference in hockey and football they are drafted at 17-18 and the NFL they are 21-22.

End of the day you build the team through the draft.

When you are not going to bring back certain players due to cap reasons maybe then you need to have a kid ready and groomed ready to step in.

Bottom line they have had quiet a few guys not pan out and some is just poor drafting.

Some poor development once in the AHL.

It all needs to change and they have to do better at all of it. Time is wasting.

It feels like they are off on a good start but to soon to tell.

We'll know more once Hayes, TDA and Risto are gone.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

After that, you build with the draft but it will take a long time to get really good and will require some good drafts. But there is no other better path

I meant to say the roster takes a good mix of kids coming up and vets grooming them on their way out the door, and in most cases the kids are cheaper.

To me the Eagles are a great example of getting it right.

And Howie has had his share of mistakes what I will say he is showing me that he can learn from his mistakes he admits it owns it and tries not to let it happen again.

Like resigning Jason Peters and draft Reagor instead of drafting Justin Jefferson. He admitted it and seems to have gotten so much better at his talent evaluations.

I hope Danny can do such and sure we need to expects maybe a mistake or two along the way while he learns the ropes.

I will try and be patient. I'll do my best.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I will try and be patient. I'll do my best.

lol, and hallelujah. We all know inside that none of this will likely go as fast as most of us want. It'll be really hard to have the patience this team will require, but there's no real alternative but to hope. 

41 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

lol, and hallelujah. We all know inside that none of this will likely go as fast as most of us want. It'll be really hard to have the patience this team will require, but there's no real alternative but to hope. 

Exactly it's hard because we've already been waiting for over a decade.

I can't imagine what it's like to be a Sabre's fan...

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't imagine what it's like to be a Sabre's fan...

Oh ya that would be a horrible fate. 

Notice that Sabres fan and his smack talk disappeared when his lot missed the playoffs as well (again). 

Unlike us though they are maybe poised for success or at least they should be very soon, maybe next year. Lots of good young talent.  They already went past their subtractions. Pipeline very good and they have a high extra second round pick too.

Next season might be the end of losing streaks for the longest running Sabres and Jets. BUT, maybe not, cause they are the Sabres and the Jets. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Gudas with a great play on the GWG for Florida. Remind me why we let him go?

They didn't want a guy who took himself out of position just to make a big hit.

No, really.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can't help myself...

If only this guy had pull..................

Quick Danny, call them while they're still emotional. 

(not that I really want any of the soft Leafs but if we could subtract....)

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1