Trouba's hit on Timo Meier 5/1/23

Brewin Flames

• Brewin Flames changed the title to Trouba's hit on Timo Meier 5/1/23

That was a headshot, and spare me the "centre of the body stuff" that apologists will come in with. That was a clear-cut shoulder to the head: Meier’s head did not change position over the 10-20 feet he travelled before the hit. The head was the primary point of contact, and it's not even up for debate. That is Scott Stevens’ headshot technique on full display in HDTV in the only game people could watch tonight.

Yep...100 percent agree.

I watched at least 20 times to see if there i was a way i could try and defend it as a good check, but over and over again it's clear the the principle point of contact is the head.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

That was a headshot, and spare me the "centre of the body stuff" that apologists will come in with. That was a clear-cut shoulder to the head: Meier’s head did not change position over the 10-20 feet he travelled before the hit. The head was the primary point of contact, and it's not even up for debate. That is Scott Stevens’ headshot technique on full display in HDTV in the only game people could watch tonight.

Yeah Scott Stevens style for sure...but it's still a good hit...Meier and Trouba are like 2 trains going straight at each other here on a straight track...of course Trouba could ease off the hit out of sympathy but that wouldn't be fair to his team and Ranger fans...plus can't just let opponents gain ice just because their head is down...

1 minute ago, Brewin Flames said:

Yep...100 percent agree.

I watched at least 20 times to see if there i was a way i could try and defend it as a good check, but over and over again it's clear the the principle point of contact is the head.

Principle point yes because he is skating in straight line at full speed the head leads of course in straight line full speed skating situations...so only way to stop him in this case is to go through him like the announcer said by hitting through in a straight line because Trouba can't hit Meier body in a straight line without hitting his head first...just 2 straight lines hitting into each other Meier leading with his head and Trouba leading with his shoulders...

4 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Yeah Scott Stevens style for sure

Which is true, but the Stevens/Lindros hit isn't legal today.

4 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

but it's still a good hit

It's a good hit in the sense that Meier still has the puck and is eligible to take contact.

It is not a good hit in that the primary point of contact is the head.

image.png

• Like 1

Devil's advocate here, just for the discussion: while I understand both sides (legal vs. suspension-worth), I still struggle with this concept of head as a primary contact. Hockey is fast game and in these kind of situations, it's matter of millimeters and and milliseconds. At some point, as the hitter you don't have any control and you don't have the time to think "ok I have to pay atttention, not the head; oh damn his head his down, I'll need to adapt my position, oh the puck is released, wait, I have 0.8 seconds to make the hit...". You just want to make the hit and if there's a slight movement, an infinitesimal delay, you go from legal to dirty where the intent remains the exact same. You don't want to deliberately target the head in such a position (unless you're a Sean Avery or Bertuzzi type of player, but that's another story).

The line is so thin and the difference in the consequences are so huge. For example, I don't see much of a difference between the Trouba and the Dumba hit in a sense that both were meant to hit hard an opponent top player with going full speed at him. And while the majority praised Dumba for a great old-school check, another majority wants the full suspension kit for Trouba. It was said that Pavelski should have kept his head up, well we could say the same about Meier... I'm not defending one of the other, my point is just to highlight contradictions in those situations and the NHL rulebook as well. Because this is something that needs to be clarified in order to suppress as many grey areas as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1