** Wild 2023 Off Season and Summer **

Jimtown guy

On 7/8/2023 at 8:22 PM, IllaZilla said:

Huh. That defensive stud Matt Dumba hasn’t signed anywhere yet…

Yes, I certainly have noticed that.  I got told by someone on Twitter is that he 'probably has a standing offer' from Arizona but is just waiting right now.  Bullschitt...no one wants him.  Or at the very least, no one wants him at the price he's seeking.  I think the stories of teams being 'interested' was just hopeful hype from the agents hoping to prompt a deal.  Oh and I should mention that fan thought Dumba would get a deal at about $5 million per season.  🙄

I'd guess the interest he has now is matched by the 'interest' he was able to create around the trade deadline the last few years.  Unless we gave him away, no one wanted him.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

$1.1 million for Duhaime.  Meh.  Although his physical dimension is what sets him apart.  Neither Sammy Walker or Adam Beckman are going to match those physical tools Duhaime has; however...even though the team has just spare change left...its not like even saving a few hundred thousand dollars would matter that much.  

My only hope is Duhaime is supremely motivated as he's playing on a 1-year deal.  

• Like 3

Duhaime's signing is fine, maybe a little of an overpay, but at least now they can trade him if they find a taker.

I consider him highly replaceable. 

I  agree with Zillo, I would much rather see Iowa players up here to find out exactly who can play and who is expendable. Maroon can be a grading post. If they aren't much better than Maroon I don’t really see a need for them. 

97 Kaprisov 14 EEk 36 Zuccarello

90 Johansson 23 Rossi 12 Boldy 

17 Foligno 89 Gadreau 38 Hartman

21 Duhaime 26 Dewar 20 Maroon

25 Brodin 46 Spurgeon

5 Middleton 7 Faber

4 Merrill 33 Goligoski

29 Fluery

35 McIntyre 

Tendered but unsigned

2 Addisson

32 Gustafson 

Edited by Icechipper

22 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Uff da.  That defense is Uhh-glee. 

At least Brodin paired with Spurgeon may give him a chance to shine a bit more and not be babysitting someone else who'll go unmentioned until he signs somewhere else. 😏
Hopefully Faber can pair well with Middleton.

4 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Would think Adam Beckman, 22, 6-2, 182, has a shot at making team. He had 24 goals and 36 total points in Iowa last season,where he wore #11. He wore #53 in limited NHL call ups

It would be nice to see some of the Wild draft picks start sticking. But I'm not sure where he would play. Only spot I can see potentially is if Rossi poops the bed.

And I'd rather see Beckman getting meaningful ice time in Iowa rather than sitting in the press box in St Paul. He'll probably get a shot this year, because it is inevitable that someone will get hurt...

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, IllaZilla said:

It would be nice to see some of the Wild draft picks start sticking. But I'm not sure where he would play. Only spot I can see potentially is if Rossi poops the bed.

And I'd rather see Beckman getting meaningful ice time in Iowa rather than sitting in the press box in St Paul. He'll probably get a shot this year, because it is inevitable that someone will get hurt...

Adam Beckman was able to play more in a Top 6 role last year compared to the Bottom 6 role he played the season before in Iowa.  Not only did he produce more offensively, but you could see his confidence grow as the year went on.  That was about the opposite of his first pro season where he shot the puck a ton and didn't find the back of the net very often. 

I don't care what # Beckman wears with the big club as long as he can contribute in a meaningful way.  Goals, hits...show us you are not just a warm body on a line and I'm probably happy.    

22 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Bill Guerin added to his GM title a new title of President of Hockey Operations:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/wild-announces-executive-promotions-072523/c-345429564

Woopty doo.  This is a total non-story.  His role doesn't really change and it doesn't do anything to improve the team on the ice.  He just gets a fancier title and a bigger paycheck.  Good for Bill, but for the team...meh.  

The only real takeaway from it is it proves Craig Leipold is buying ANYTHING that Bill Guerin is selling him.  If you're happy with that great...if not...well that's the world the Wild are living in now.  

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Woopty doo.  This is a total non-story.  His role doesn't really change and it doesn't do anything to improve the team on the ice.  He just gets a fancier title and a bigger paycheck.  Good for Bill, but for the team...meh.  

The only real takeaway from it is it proves Craig Leipold is buying ANYTHING that Bill Guerin is selling him.  If you're happy with that great...if not...well that's the world the Wild are living in now.  

I just placed only the fact that he has a new title added to his current position. But in general , that President of Hockey Operations position will give him more chances to affect/to direct control the head coach decisions on lines changes and on the outcome of regular season as well as on playoffs season. Because it seems some Head Coach's decisions are not flexible, but stubborn for a period of time before he makes some necessary changes. 

29 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I do agree that Evason is stubborn. There were times that his line combinations just weren’t working but he refused to mix things up. I also don’t think he is very good making adjustments on the fly. 

What I think will be interesting to see if Guerin continues to make excuses for Evason this season. 

I hope no excuses for Evason this season. Time for changes if the team is planning to be a real Cup contender.

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

I do agree that Evason is stubborn. There were times that his line combinations just weren’t working but he refused to mix things up. I also don’t think he is very good making adjustments on the fly. 

What I think will be interesting to see if Guerin continues to make excuses for Evason this season. 

(shrugs)  I think they will keep saying they're not making excuses to only make excuses because they know the sheeple will buy it.  The team doesn't want to buy out the coach, especially as it still is in a cap crunch.  

I don't think his promotion makes one ounce of difference; Guerin was able to do as he pleased even before he was named President of Hockey Ops.  Now he's his own boss...accountable to probably the owner and that's about it.  

On 7/29/2023 at 2:16 PM, Icechipper said:

So, were Zach Parise to choose retirement, still no Wild cap relief, am I right?

True. The NHL retroactively changed the rules. So even if Parise retires, the Wild still get hhhaaammmmmmeeerrreeeddd…

If the team hadn't bought them out and Parise retires they would've gotten hammered even harder than the buyout cost.  But because of that, they didn't have to be worried about being ambushed that way.  It really was a Catch-22 for the Wild as soon as that rule was put in place.  And that should answer the question to any dolt you come across that thinks the team would've been better off not buying them out.  The 'early' retirement punishment would've happened whether chose to retire as a member of the Wild or wherever they continued their NHL careers.  

Gustavsson's arbitration hearing is up this week.  It will be interesting to see how fast the Addison deal gets worked out after Gus signs whatever it ends up being.  I'm still guessing at a 1-year or 2-year deal at about $3.5M.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

If the team hadn't bought them out and Parise retires they would've gotten hammered even harder than the buyout cost.  But because of that, they didn't have to be worried about being ambushed that way.  It really was a Catch-22 for the Wild as soon as that rule was put in place.  And that should answer the question to any dolt you come across that thinks the team would've been better off not buying them out.  The 'early' retirement punishment would've happened whether chose to retire as a member of the Wild or wherever they continued their NHL careers.    

And truly, would you still want those two locker room cancers on the team anyways?