Newhook to habs for a first and second???? Seriously???

Look, I like Alex newhook, nice player but a first and second and a middling prospect seems excessive. His career high is 33 points, 14 goals. 

The 31st and 37th pick? Colorado made a great deal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

Look, I like Alex newhook, nice player but a first and second and a middling prospect seems excessive. His career high is 33 points, 14 goals. 

The 31st and 37th pick? Colorado made a great deal

When GMs see a call coming in from Joe Sakic, they really need to start letting it go straight to voicemail.

• Like 3

Habs acquire rights to Avs F Newhook, for 31st, 37th overall picks

TSN.ca Staff
Published 

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired the rights to Colorado Avalanche forward Alex Newhook in exchange for a 2023 first-round pick (31st overall), a 2023 second-round pick (37th overall) as well as defenceman Gianni Fairbrother.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger notes that the Canadiens turned their sights to acquiring Newhook once it became apparent Winnipeg Jets restricted free forward Pierre-Luc Dubois was focusing on the Los Angeles Kings. 

The 22-year-old Newhook, who was selected 16th overall by the Avs in 2019, is a restricted free agent this summer without arbitration rights.

TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston says the two side don't have a deal in place yet. 

Newhook scored 14 goals and added 16 assists over 82 games in 2022-23, his third season the NHL. He added one assist over seven playoff games. 

Over 159 career games with the Avalanche, the native of St. John's, Nfld., has 27 goals and 39 assists and recorded four assists over 12 playoff games during Colorado's run to the Stanley Cup championship last season. 

Newhook scored three goals and three assists over six games during the World Junior Hockey Championship in 2021, helping Canada claim silver. 

Selected by the Habs in the third round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, Fairbrother has yet to make an appearance in the NHL. 

I actually don't think this is a terrible deal for the Canadiens.

Yes, they gave up quite a bit in potential picks, but then again, they DID have two first rounders to begin with, and they kept the more valuable one they own, sending Florida's to the Avalanche.
They get, in Newhook, a guy who could potentially slot in as a 1 or 2C...likely 2C if Suzuki holds up as their top center, and have a nice 1-2 punch down the middle.
And Newhook already has what anyone they would have picked with a late 1st rounder or early 2nd round DOESN'T have...NHL experience, playing with high end talent, at such a young age still.

Now, that all said, it will still fall on the Canadiens to compliment not only Newhook, but their other young talent (Caufield, Pezzetta, Slafkovsky, Dach, and the aforementioned Suzuki) with the RIGHT veterans, as well as getting a solid, stable goalie.... and that will determine how well they really did here.
MTL is shaping up to be possibly be one of the fastest skating teams in the league.

Avs are smart in getting ahead of any cap crunches while keeping the roster young, but they are also taking a gamble that the young players they pick may turn out to be average at best.

Time will tell, but right now, I like this for both.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I actually don't think this is a terrible deal for the Canadiens.

Yes, they gave up quite a bit in potential picks, but then again, they DID have two first rounders to begin with, and they kept the more valuable one they own, sending Florida's to the Avalanche.
They get, in Newhook, a guy who could potentially slot in as a 1 or 2C...likely 2C if Suzuki holds up as their top center, and have a nice 1-2 punch down the middle.
And Newhook already has what anyone they would have picked with a late 1st rounder or early 2nd round DOESN'T have...NHL experience, playing with high end talent, at such a young age still.

Now, that all said, it will still fall on the Canadiens to compliment not only Newhook, but their other young talent (Caufield, Pezzetta, Slafkovsky, Dach, and the aforementioned Suzuki) with the RIGHT veterans, as well as getting a solid, stable goalie.... and that will determine how well they really did here.
MTL is shaping up to be possibly be one of the fastest skating teams in the league.

Avs are smart in getting ahead of any cap crunches while keeping the roster young, but they are also taking a gamble that the young players they pick may turn out to be average at best.

Time will tell, but right now, I like this for both.

Newhook has been given a shot at the 2c spot after kadri left. His faceoff pct was 5th from the bottom of anyone who took at least 500 draws. Compher passed him and stole his role. With Compher likely unaffordable as a free agent, instead of circling back to newhook they traded for retread Johanson coming off his worst year ever and dealt newhook. I trust sakic who is one of the sharpest minds in the game. If he says Johanson is better, I believe him.

That said, I truly don't think newhook has a future at center but I think he could have a good career as a winger. He is smallish but responsible defensively, he has a solid shooting pct. And can play up and down the lines. I think a first and second was too much but it seems to be the going rate for third liners who are versatile and can score a bit, look at jeannot in Tampa last year. Third liners with some, not a lot but some upside. I wouldn't have done it and I think he is joining a really crowded group of forwards in Montreal but I can see the case. Still think that sakic wins this one but newhook is not a bad player.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Newhook has been given a shot at the 2c spot after kadri left. His faceoff pct was 5th from the bottom of anyone who took at least 500 draws. Compher passed him and stole his role. With Compher likely unaffordable as a free agent, instead of circling back to newhook they traded for retread Johanson coming off his worst year ever and dealt newhook. I trust sakic who is one of the sharpest minds in the game. If he says Johanson is better, I believe him.

That said, I truly don't think newhook has a future at center but I think he could have a good career as a winger. He is smallish but responsible defensively, he has a solid shooting pct. And can play up and down the lines. I think a first and second was too much but it seems to be the going rate for third liners who are versatile and can score a bit, look at jeannot in Tampa last year. Third liners with some, not a lot but some upside. I wouldn't have done it and I think he is joining a really crowded group of forwards in Montreal but I can see the case. Still think that sakic wins this one but newhook is not a bad player.

I hadn't looked at the raw numbers for Newhook.
Probably bears some inspection by me.

I do know when I have watched a Colorado game, Newhook has looked like the kind of player who could still play a top six role, though he also looked like he needed some more time at the top level of the game to do so.

Maybe he isn't top six material, maybe he really is a winger disguised as a center....he will certainly get even more chances to prove what he is when mixed in with a bunch of guys closer to his age in Montreal, and with much less expectations to "win now" as there is in Colorado.

Will it be enough for him to reach his ceiling? Or maybe he is what he is?
That's what we will need to find out.

17 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Newhook has been given a shot at the 2c spot after kadri left. His faceoff pct was 5th from the bottom of anyone who took at least 500 draws. Compher passed him and stole his role.

I don't think Montreal is expecting him to be a second line center on a Stanley Cup contender next year, but he's 22 and I'll wager they're hoping by the time he's Compher's 28 they may have a better player at the dot.

I think a first and second was too much but it seems to be the going rate for third liners who are versatile and can score a bit, look at jeannot in Tampa last year.

Low first rounders are often worth more to contending teams as acquiring established players to fill important roles.

If there are a couple of contending teams looking for similar players...

Still think that sakic wins this one but newhook is not a bad player.

Sakic wins by kicking a developing contract slot down the road while filling a need on his contending team.

Montreal gives up a lot (although the going rate) and acquires a 22 potential 2C to pair with their hoped for 1 in Suzuki.

And he's a RFA with no hammer to boot!

Edited by radoran