2023 NHL Draft: Live Draft Thread Discussion

pilldoc

The Sabres have selected Winnipeg (WHL) winger Zach Benson with the No. 13 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Benson has a ton of creativity and offense in his game. He makes high-end skill plays routinely, he's one of the better passers in junior and projects to be a major asset on an NHL power play. Benson lacks ideal size at 5-foot-9, but he's relentless in puck battles often coming out with the puck despite his frame. He's a responsible, detailed defensive player who is an asset without the puck. His frame, combined with a lack of separation speed, is a concern, though, for his NHL projection even though he's got good quickness in tight. There is a fair amount of risk on his projection, but his strong compete and tremendous skill plus track record of scoring, makes you think there is still a very good chance he can become a quality top-six wing in the NHL.

Pronman's player ranking: No. 17

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I sense a fairy tale theme here for Buffalo.... 
Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum...le'ts put an end to this non playoff run!

Are you related to Dr. Seuss .... LOL ...that is pretty damn good!

The Penguins have selected Moose Jaw (WHL) center Brayden Yager with the No. 14 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Yager is a player with a pro-style game. He plays with a lot of speed and energy, showing the ability to carry pucks up the ice and make skilled plays with pace. He’s not the biggest center, but Yager plays hard, showing a commitment to making plays without the puck and winning a lot of battles even though he's not overly physical. His main offensive weapon is his shot, which is high end due to his great technique and accuracy, but he does have the slick hands and vision to beat defenses in other ways. He didn't score goals this season like I thought he would with his shot, but I believe he will in future seasons. At his size there will be questions about whether he’s an actual NHL center despite his skating and effort. My comparable for him is an NHL wing, reflecting the risk in his projection at that position, but I see a reality where he turns into a Vincent Trocheck type.

Pronman's player ranking: No. 16

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

The Sabres have selected Winnipeg (WHL) winger Zach Benson with the No. 13 pick

I really like this kid. I really thought they'd go Pellikka there, but they picked one of my favorites in the draft. I was starting to hope he'd inexplicably fall to 22.

Just now, ruxpin said:

I really like this kid. I really thought they'd go Pellikka there, but they picked one of my favorites in the draft. I was starting to hope he'd inexplicably fall to 22.

Think Pellikka drops to #22?

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't get the comparison to Ryan Johanson they were just doing.
Johanson is a center, Wood is a winger.

I think I'm completely alone here, but i don't view comparison to Johanson as a compliment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Think Pellikka drops to #22?

Starting to wonder.  Man would that be cool. This would suddenly be a Howie draft

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1