Pre-Season Game #1 (9/25) vs NJ Devils

pilldoc

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/09/25/flyers-lose-preseason-opener-to-devils-philadelphia-new-jersey-nhl/

Devils 6

Flyers 0

The Philadelphia Flyers lost at New Jersey, 6-0, in a game that saw center Sean Couturier return after nearly two years away from the sport. Couturier reported that he felt fine physically after the game.

The Devils scored four goals in the game’s first 5 minutes, 55 seconds against Flyers goalie Cal Petersen.

Flyers goalie Felix Sandstrom played the third period and allowed one goal. Fourteen of the Flyers’ 20 players were Philadelphia draft choices, including Oliver Bonk and Denver Barkey from the 2023 draft.

Forwards:

Farabee – Couturier – Brink
Lycksell – Frost – Foerster
Brown – Barkey – Allison
Furry – Desnoyers – Tuomaala

Defensemen:

York – Walker
Seeler – Bonk
Andrae – Grans

Goaltenders:

Petersen
Sandstrom

Most of know that Petersen is Bantha Fodder and will probably be sent to LHV or given is out flat out released (if that is possible).

Edited by pilldoc

37 minutes ago, radoran said:

This was a great game, with great effort from all of the great players.

Everyone looked great and they played really well.

Because of the great coaching, all of these great players will inevitably reach the peak of their potential and be the best possible players they can be.

Everything is just great.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I concur with your GREAT assessment .... ;) 

• Good Post 1

I thought it was great because it exposed just how disorganized this club is with regards to building a team. They don't have enough goal scorers, offensively gifted players and the defense is a mess and it's not going to get better anytime soon, especially with Brad Shaw as the coach.

There were a few positives though. Couturier playing was good to see. He can still win draws and once he gets his game legs back, he'll be a force again. Frost also played well and quite honestly, should have had three or four points if he had a legit finisher on his wings.

The defense scares the absolute hell out of me and Brad Shaw gives me legit nightmares that he doesn't know how to develop defensemen. Part of me wishes a guy like John Stevens would have been brought back because he knows player development. That is his strength.

Cal Peterson is done. He'll never play another game at the NHL level again. Either bury him in the minors or buy him out. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Good Post 1

23 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

I love the positive attitude of flyer fans after the first pre-season game, although i can think of a few fans who may slightly disagree......

.Keep yer heads up.

I'll own up to it. I fully plan on the club being bad for a few years. All what I care about is if there's effort and if they're continually getting better. Last night was a good example of just how much of a mess Briere has on his hands getting this straightened out. Good luck to him because there's going to be A LOT of long nights.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Frost also played well and quite honestly, should have had three or four points if he had a legit finisher on his wings.

Interesting. I thought Frost was one of the worst on the team. Lacked complete confidence...to me it seemed like the puck bobbled too much on his stick, didn't have the proper weight on his passes.  Hope its just me seeing things wrong.

36 minutes ago, ctid said:

Interesting. I thought Frost was one of the worst on the team. Lacked complete confidence...to me it seemed like the puck bobbled too much on his stick, didn't have the proper weight on his passes.  Hope its just me seeing things wrong.

Lyksell flubbed at least three sure fire goals and that knocked the wind out of Frost. I still don't understand why they removed Foerster from the line when they were all playing well.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Cal Peterson is done. He'll never play another game at the NHL level again. Either bury him in the minors or buy him out. 

He'll be with some bottom feeding organization in a perpetual rebuild with cap space to burn to take on his contract for young talent and draft picks.

I mean, he'll be with a legendary organization with a winning tradition.

image.gif

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

OR we play him all the time and ride our way to a #1 pick (that we lose to Chicago). 

• Good Post 1