✨🥅 2023-24 NHL GENERAL SEASON THREAD 🥅 ✨

TropicalFruitGirl26

After impressive wins against the Flyers, Lightning, and Capitals (5-2, 5-2, and 6-1), the Senators have now dropped their last three games against the Wings, the Sabres, and tonight, against the Islanders (5-2, 6-4, and 3-2 respectively).

Ottawa IS playing hard and generating a crap ton of shots, but the offensive results seems to have abandoned them, and it seems any mistakes on defensive coverage is being taken advantage of by the other side.

While I think the Sens should be in the mix for a playoff spot, I think this roller coaster type trip they seem to be on will be the norm for them all season.
Until they learn to lock down that defense, or the goalie starts stealing more games, it will be like ying-yang with their powerful offense and somewhat suspect defense.

Hmmm...maybe it's time for another Brady Tkachuk outburst?
Maybe he should challenge the Penguins during warmups in their next game?

"Which one of you water fowl wants some? Anybody want some? No??" :ph34r: 

Last few seasons, a Red Wings-Bruins game would have been a complete snorefest.
You just knew Boston was gonna run through the Wings, especially at TD Gardens, and the Wings were "gonna try their college best", but fall completely on their faces with not much to show for their puny efforts.

Not so this year.
Opening period between the Red Wings visiting the Bruins has no score, but lots of fast skating, lots of compete by both sides in the corners and along the boards, and some sharp goaltending on the part of Swayman and Husso.

Detroit heading now to the PP.
I was going to jump around the league with lots of games going on at the same time during this time slot, but I think I will stick with Det-Bos....shuld be gud!! 😄

Detroit giving up the middle a bit too easily here.

Boston is more than happy to take what the Wings give them, and right now, it is prime real estate through the middle, and especially, in the slot areas.
I know Steve Yzerman favors big mobile defenseman for that purposes of guarding this area, and Detroit, well, they will need to work on that.

Watching some video between periods will perhaps point out to the Wings players that the middle need to be shut down a bit better.
If not, Boston could do like Boston over Detroit of the last few seasons, and rout them right out of the building!

2-0 Bruins...and now they on the PP with 5 minutes to go in the 1st.

37 minutes ago, Math said:

Matt Martin and the clone of Matt Martin scored both at the exact same time. Cizikas being only able to be at one location at a time could only assist on one of the two goals.

image.thumb.png.25dc2be50127f18e75b56a6b73c45b67.png

Must be some Star Trek parallel timeline chit going on here! :bigteeth: 

Bruins take their game against the Red Wings 4-1...4th goal being an empty netter...continuing the woes for the Red Wings at TD Gardens, despite the improved Detroit team.

Big mistakes in defensive coverage cost the Wings and even though they came alive in the 3rd, it was too little too late at that point.
A David Pastrnak penalty shot that put Boston up 3-1 at the time seemed like the 'backbreaker' in this game.

Everyone keeps thinking Boston is going to regress, and all they keep doing is winning games.
Even without the retired Bergeron and Krejci, they just seem to have a system in place (and the talent to play it) to keep on chugging along and manufacturing wins.

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Must be some Star Trek parallel timeline chit going on here! :bigteeth: 

Caught that a while ago when the Lightning faced the Caps in the playoffs. No one was quicker than Tampa that year...

image.png.9c3325be8457c0e98ff2f68e0c401394.png

• Haha 1

Did the Avalanche forget there is a matinee game today??

Buffalo is all over them, leading them 3-0 in the 2nd, seemingly outplaying them in all facets, INCLUDING physical play, and it isn't even close right now.

Sabres look like an angry determined team, while Colorado looks like they haven't had their morning coffee yet...

Buffalo defenseman Mattias Samuelsson gets nailed on the side of the head as he tried blocking a shot towards his goal.
He was felled, got up slowly, but looked ok after the training staff and players checked in with him.

No doubt his helmet saved him there, though obviously he got his bell rung just the same.
I can't EVEN imagine players being out there without a helmet like they did in the 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's.

When I was a kid, seeing players' cool hair flowing around was something to watch....but I didn't realize then just how dangerous that is.

Glad Samuelsson was able to get up under his own power. Trainers will likely check him out during the intermission.

Buffalo still leads 3-0 after 2.
Avs better get their chit in gear. Sabres are dominating this game.

Fantastic game by the Buffalo Sabres from start to finish.
4-0 victory at home against the Avalanche and this game was all Sabres all the time.

Colorado never seemed to get out of the starting gate.

Is this the kind of win that will lift the Sabres up to play better than what they have?
I know they still aren't Stanley Cup ready, but they should definitely be better than the last place position they find themselves in the Atlantic...much better.

Ukko Pekka Luukkonen with his first NHL shut out.
WTG young Sabre, wtg!

Those Oilers jerseys... 🤮  Nothing original, the logo is bad, the rectangle-shaped shoulders looked odd, having brown pants and gloves to make them look like leather in an artificial vintage mock-up is terrible. At that point, stick to royal blue. The Flames unis were a better but nothing great either. I prefer those worn for their last Heritage classic much more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Math said:

Those Oilers jerseys... 🤮  Nothing original, the logo is bad, the rectangle-shaped shoulders looked odd, having brown pants and gloves to make them look like leather in an artificial vintage mock-up is terrible. At that point, stick to royal blue. The Flames unis were a better but nothing great either. I prefer those worn for their last Heritage classic much more.

They're a throwback to the Edmonton Mercurys team that won gold at the Olympics in 1952. I get that they wanted to honour the city's history but honestly, it was a terrible decision. Ugly uniforms, and I haven't spoken to a single Oilers fan that wanted to buy one.

Watching Kraken at Lightning, but decided to go with the Seattle announce booth this game.
Why?

John Forslund.
Really like his game calling and Seattle is lucky to have him.
He was the primary reason I tuned into the Carolina Hurricanes feed when he worked there!

Fantastic announcer!

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Wow...errant pass by the Bolts leads to a 2 on 0 for Seattle....Jordan Eberle and Jaden Schwartz, but TB's Jonas Johansson makes the stop on Schwartz as Jaden, remembering what an unholy minus player Eberle is, didn't even look to pass to the anti-deity Jordan! :ph34r: 

Seattle leading 3-2 as the 3rd gets started.
Some really nice defense by the Kraken is keeping TB mostly in check.

And even when the Bolts break through the defense, Grubauer has been there to bail them out.
Bolts look like they still have a lot of speed in their legs though....let's see if the Kraken can continue to keep up stride for stride like they have been.

Bolts come back, tie the score, send the game into OT....but drop it there after taking a penalty and giving Seattle a 4 on 3 PP.
Kraken win it 4-3 in the extra session, marking the first time in their franchise history that Seattle has beaten the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Entering today's game, the Bolts were 4-0-0 all time vs. the Kraken.

Meanwhile, over in Long Island, the Islanders seemed be cruising 2-0 in the 3rd and BOOM!
The Red Wings storm back and score three unanswered goals, all lasers, past Ilya Sorokin to take the lead 3-2 with 8 minutes to go in the 3rd.
Wow.
These definitely are not the Dead Wings we have been seeing the last few seasons!

On 10/26/2023 at 10:20 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

After impressive wins against the Flyers, Lightning, and Capitals (5-2, 5-2, and 6-1), the Senators have now dropped their last three games against the Wings, the Sabres, and tonight, against the Islanders (5-2, 6-4, and 3-2 respectively).

Ottawa IS playing hard and generating a crap ton of shots, but the offensive results seems to have abandoned them, and it seems any mistakes on defensive coverage is being taken advantage of by the other side.

While I think the Sens should be in the mix for a playoff spot, I think this roller coaster type trip they seem to be on will be the norm for them all season.
Until they learn to lock down that defense, or the goalie starts stealing more games, it will be like ying-yang with their powerful offense and somewhat suspect defense.

Hmmm...maybe it's time for another Brady Tkachuk outburst?
Maybe he should challenge the Penguins during warmups in their next game?

"Which one of you water fowl wants some? Anybody want some? No??" :ph34r: 

After thumping the avs. 4-0. The Penguins took a 21-7 shot advantage to the 2nd period. Unfortunately Jarry came down with Marc Andre Fleury syndrome and the Pens were looking looking at a 2-0 deficit. In root to a 5-2 loss! So much for a playoff run. Maybe the Penguins had to much fun on the golf course last year?!

Los Angeles at Toronto on that pseudo hockey network, ESPN, if anyone is interested.
LA with an early 1-0 lead on an Andreas Englund goal from PL Dubois.

Despite the Kings wearing their Flerf tin foil helmets, I will be saying, "Go Kings GO!"  :bigteeth: 
hqdefault.jpg.99dfddac3e183189533ebe694d3f521d.jpg

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

ESPN's Emily Kaplan.

Someone get that poor girl some cue cards. She always seems to be flubbing her lines when reporting :bigteeth: 
Seems to talk WAAAAAY too fast too.
Too much coffee? Or maybe something else with white powder? :ph34r: 

That lady needs to settle down, take a breath, report at a steady pace, and then go bother the Maple Leafs head coach during the game. :rolleyes: 

Good lawd....

PK Subban dressed as the Jim Carey character Ace Ventura (when he went undercover at the nuthouse as a ballerina...if ya know, ya know...lol)
Mark Messier dressed as Elvis....and by golly, ms molly, he looks the part... 😄

And I have no idea who Steve Levy is supposed to be.
Some dude wearing shades and a Hawaiian shirt....reminds me of that greedy big guy from Jurassic Park ("Spy, spy....look here spy... see? Nobody cares") 😎