Flyers 2023/24 no Dumbasses?

mojo1917

I know, I know, Rasmus Ristolainen still has a roster spot on the team but...

Has anyone else noticed the lack of stupid players and stupid plays by this team so far?

There have been some young-guy gaffes...but by and large this group plays a smart game.

Guys are hanging on to pucks, waiting for things to happen, making things happen.

I like this group.

I don't miss Morgan Frost.

Bobby Brink is an NHL player based on this small sample size.

Ol' Foerester is a player too, not where Brink is yet, but he's got really nice vision and underrated playmaking ability IMO.

Farabee has always been a smart player.

I'm not saying this is a playoff team, but I do think they play well together and the young guys who've played significant minutes so far this season; look like guys that can be built around or at least provide quality depth up and down the lineup.

Other teams will "catch-up" with their fitness and skating legs, but to start the season, this group appears to be frisky and intelligent. I've been pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hmc687 said:

This team not tanking is again the problem.  We'll be fighting for 10th place by end of the year - brilliant

I HATE tanking.

Do the best you can with the players you have.

Losing begets more losing. Then the players become losers. 

The Flyers get 2 first picks again this year. Those picks bring two more very good players into the organization. 

A winning culture doesn't get built by getting an ass whupping for 3 years ( or whatever  ) straight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Citation needed.

In the 00s, LAK drafted in the top 5 three years in a row and had multiple first round picks in one of those years and one of the preceding years.

In the 00s, CHI was terrible for a decade before they won the first Cup.

The TBL drafted in the top 5 three years in a row (1st and 2nd overall in back-to-back years) and had multiple firsts in other years in the 10s.

The losing didn't hurt these teams.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, hmc687 said:

This team not tanking is again the problem.  We'll be fighting for 10th place by end of the year - brilliant

We don't have to tank, but trading vets at the deadline, like Atkinson,  Hathaway and Laughton,etc can help expedite the rebuild. We should also look into trading TK for the right price. We are loaded on right wing and getting a young center or defenseman and a pick can really help for the future. Trading these guys will also help us lose more games to get a higher pick but we will at least be competitive and not totally suck. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Citation needed.

In the 00s, LAK drafted in the top 5 three years in a row and had multiple first round picks in one of those years and one of the preceding years.

In the 00s, CHI was terrible for a decade before they won the first Cup.

The TBL drafted in the top 5 three years in a row (1st and 2nd overall in back-to-back years) and had multiple firsts in other years in the 10s.

The losing didn't hurt these teams.

2 of the teams had multiple cracks at "winning" the lottery. I don't see where that was fun to watch.  Those teams are outliers as far as I'm concerned.  They were really lucky and then capitalized on that luck.

Edmonton, Arizona, Nashville, Toronto, Buffalo have all spent time being terrible and what kind of culture have they built? 

TBL, had a very good  AHL team for quite a while, even when they were "bad".

A lot of the championship players had success with the Crunch before getting to the NHL. They had won  or were a top team that won more nights than not in the A.

Getting beaten doesn't always teach a lesson, or the lesson that is absorbed doesnt lead to creating a winning culture. 

Sure picking top 5 gets generational talent, sometimes. 

Most times it means your team is damned lousy and will remain so unless they get some luck. 

• Like 3

On 10/24/2023 at 6:59 AM, mojo1917 said:

I HATE tanking.

Do the best you can with the players you have.

The Flyers get 2 first picks again this year. Those picks bring two more very good players into the organization. 

A winning culture doesn't get built by getting an ass whupping for 3 years ( or whatever  ) straight.

Isnt that exactly what the Flyers did past 10-20 years?  Sure they had some fun playoff trips circa Richards and Carter and Giroux, but those teams were missing talent pieces.  Come to think of it, 2010 Flyers win if you swap Kane w JVR XD XD XD

Our best draft pick of the past 20 years was Sean Cotourier (excluding Gauthier and Michkov since they havent played a game yet).  He is a fine player and a great asset at #8, but there have been multiple generational talents and top line assets available in the same time frame.  So instead of Flyguys finishing in the middle of the pack or just missing the playoffs...by all means, TANK.

What kills me is the Flyers have been horrible the past few years and STILL - despite the abundance of news suggesting Bedard and Fantilli were going to be game changers - refused to TANK.  We ended up getting the 2nd best talent in Michkov but there are legitimate concerns that he may never come to Phila or U.S.

Tanking is fine if its done when they team, at its best, is already terrible.  The NHL is a joke though and it uses a scandalous "system" that "randomizes" the lottery.  It just so happens the 1-2 winners of the lottery are almost always a major market (except NJ)...and its always a recording and not LIVE.

Lots of reasons I dont follow NHL like I used to but the corruption and utter ignorance in F.O. of Flyguys has been offputting...especially when they were INCREASING ticket prices for an abomination of a team

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hmc687 said:

What kills me is the Flyers have been horrible the past few years and STILL - despite the abundance of news suggesting Bedard and Fantilli were going to be game changers - refused to TANK.

I mean, Kane wouldn't have scored that goal vs the Flyers, at least not intentionally. 

None of what you typed is lost on me.

However, losing and failure creates an emotional response in me. 

I hated losing. When I was a competitive athlete, I hated losing more than I liked winning, I hate it when teams I cheer for lose.

I've been an Orioles and Phillies fan for most of life. So when anyone says, well, the team can be bad for a few years, get the guy and then everything will be better...that's demonstrated to be untrue- too many times and for too many decades. 

Last season, with this team, was the only time I've ever contemplated changing that attitude because of how strong that draft class was projecting to be.

I would have been on board with trading Ristolainen rather than extending him and letting the Couturier-less team struggle through the 22/23 season. and you know, see if a top 3 pick could be obtained. It made sense to me. The San Antonio Spurs lost David Robinson for a year, were awful, won the 1st pick and took Tim Duncan with it... In my mind that's how to tank. It's not shed good players and watch the mediocre guys get their asses kicked for 5 or more years the way Sam Hinkie did it. 

When teams accept losing they become losers. 

I've witnessed it for decades with the Orioles, once the only team in the MLB with a winning record vs the Yankees. Then they sucked for 25 years, a lifetime in some places. 

You get that loser stank on you, it doesn't come off. 

My fear is the Flyers have the loser stank on them already, so willingly diving into the suck tank until 202x because "reasons" isn't something I'm here for.

There are too many Oilers, Sabres, Lions, Browns, Kings, Wizards, Brewers and Rockies, who are just terrible no matter how often they pick first. 

The Oil haven't done **** with McJesus, haven't. won. ****. He's the best player of his generation. 

They've picked first a billion times this century and they're about to fire their coach. Why? because no one there remembers how to ****** win.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1