Game 56: Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils; 2/17/24, 8 PM, ABC

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't see an "if one thing goes wrong" problem with the Flyers this year. In fact I see the opposite. Their success hasn't relied on just one line or two goal-scorers or goaltending or special teams. Their wins are always a total team effort, no?

Last year I think that was an issue. The wins early in the year were largely due to Hart playing so well - he was the Flyers' "one thing." This year I really don't see that "one facet" problem at all.

Maybe I'm not making my point clear.

The Flyers must play with maximum effort and they need their goalies to play. 905/<2.95  ball.

Even then they can still be blown out by the Pastarnaks, Matthews and MacKinnons of the league. 

This team, while fun and one of my favorite rosters of the last 10 years, needs more talented players so they win with their C- game.

I think that Devils team is mostly hot garbage there are enough talented players on the roster where they can be garbage and still win though.

That's what I am hoping the Flyers roster gets built to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The Flyers must play with maximum effort and they need their goalies to play. 905/<2.95  ball.

Oh I got you now - max effort is required for the Flyers to win most nights but I don't think that sets them apart most NHL teams. It does highlight the contrast between the Flyers' roster and the legit Cup contenders. Well after all it is Year One of the rebuild. 

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Even then they can still be blown out by the Pastarnaks, Matthews and MacKinnons of the league. 

Here you lose me. This season the Flyers whipped the Avs in Denver 5-2 then played them even in Philly (despite O'Connor's HT and the 7-4 final). Not many teams are splitting their series with the Avs this year. True Matthews owned them in the 2nd the other night but the Flyers were hardly "blown out" in Toronto. For god's sake they came back and tied it late in the final 5mins (!) and scraped out a tough road point.

As to the Bruins...the less said the better. Seriously they've been a tough matchup for the Flyers going way back to the BSB days. Best part of that 2010 run was crushing them in 7 in their own barn. Down 3-0 after 15mins in G7...JVR, Hartnell, Briere, Gagne = one for the books!

Anyway your overall point is not even debatable: the Flyers are ahead of expectations but they're far from ready to win PO rounds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Howie58 said:

It's funny, Torts' post-gamer sounded like a guy who was upset with execution and penalties.  He even made it clear that the thinking should be on the coming game with Chicago.  Tactically, that makes sense--you put a loss behind you and move on.  But if I am Danny Briere, this game said a lot about my squad and its talent. Torts has done a great job with the clay he can mold. But we need help.  

I was also thinking about fate and the consequences of past choices.  Think back to June, 2017.  The Devils take Hischier.  And we take Nolan Patrick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Entry_Draft

Sorry for opening up old wounds,  But seeing Hischier on post-game interviews made me reflect on our talent shortfall.  

You couldn't be more right!!