Game 56: Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils; 2/17/24, 8 PM, ABC

Greetings:

The O and B are underdogs (+135) despite the better record:

https://www.lines.com/nhl/predictions/flyers-vs-devils-over-under-feb-17-2024

Over the last 10 games going back to 2021, the series is tied 5-5.  The two games this year have gone to OT.  Statistically, they are better offensively, we are better defensively; otherwise, family similar save for the PP:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/njd-vs-phi/2024/02/17/2023020859

Officially, we are the away team, but that should be to our advantage given the season's body of work.  I agree with this bookie that this will probably be low-scoring with a Flyers win:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/2024/02/16/nj-devils-flyers-nhl-stadium-series-2024-betting-odds-picks/72613877007/

LGF!

• Thanks 1

They just said 80,000 fans will be in attendance tonight for the Flyers / Devils game. 

Any of you guys ever make it to an NHL outdoor game? It looks like the fans are a long way from the action tonight. I guess it’s more about the whole experience. It kinda has to be unless you remembered to bring your binoculars.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They just said 80,000 fans will be in attendance tonight for the Flyers / Devils game. 

Any of you guys ever make it to an NHL outdoor game? It looks like the fans are a long way from the action tonight. I guess it’s more about the whole experience. It kinda has to be … unless you have a good set of binoculars.

79,500 Flyers fans at one game doesn't seem fair for the Devils...

:beer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
give or taker a Devil fan or two
  • Haha 2

Well. we are off to a lousy start.  A breakaway score and a dumb penalty by Frost.  

The ice looks like crap.  The announcers said they feel like they're in Hoboken, that's how far away they are.  Yikes. 

Damn coulda/woulda been nice to see Ersson stop Hischier in alone…Frost with a dumb penalty…

4 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Devils unis are ugly as schitt.

seriously…like they were going for ugly. and they got it. I think I like the Flyers’ look…gonna take a few minutes getting used to it.

• Like 1

Ugh I left the room for a few minutes and the Devils doubled their lead… 

Poehling off the post… Flyers are getting chances but no 2nd chances.

Good lord another penalty they’re really shooting themselves in the face here so far.

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well. we are off to a lousy start.  A breakaway score and a dumb penalty by Frost.  

The ice looks like crap.  The announcers said they feel like they're in Hoboken, that's how far away they are.  Yikes. 

i dont care what anyone says frost has to be moved, he's terrible, makes the same mistakes over and over again, he's not going to be a future center on this roster, he's getting moved this summer.

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Interesting.  Flyers using skate guards but the Devils are not.  I don’t remember what team it was but there was an incident years ago where there was sand on the floor in the walkway to the visitors locker room.

Wow yeah I remember that…. wasn’t it in Toronto? No nevermind I don’t remember. But there were accusations of deliberate messing with the visiting team…I don’t recall if it was ever “settled” or what.

27 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The Flyers are not looking good.  

yikes the goal I missed- Toffoli no surprise - much worse than I imagined. Flyers puck staring, Frost takes the draw then just abandons his assignment. Flyers “not looking good” is being nice about it.

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Torts must have sent some clear signals between periods.

Yes, LOUD messaging, because although the shot totals have been close, they haven't generated enough quality chances. Now the Flyers have the chance to tie on the PP.

Much better period for the Flyers even though they’re still down by two goals.

Ersson doesn’t look very sharp tonight and that is a bad combination with the defensive breakdowns the Flyers have had.

EDIT:  Howie beat me to it.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Errson is not looking sharp. Defensive lapses don't help. 

I am glad Tippett is on. His teammates don't look sharp. Sad.

They're lagging pretty badly, defensively. The Toffoli and Hischier goals shouldn't have happened. Maybe they partied too much, in one of the nice watering holes in North Jersey last night.

• Haha 1

It's funny how they see New Jersey through a North Jersey prism. Coming from Vineland, I say this isn't NJ south of Trenton. I grew up with chicken farming and Dahlias, along with vegetable processing for Progresso soup. And the big city was Philly. The New York metroplex was a million miles away from our vantage. 

• Like 3