Kosolov

Kosolov has finished his season in the KHL and is technically under contract with the Flyers. When Jonesy was asked about him he replied that they were working on his visa to get him over here but it would be a few weeks. So I would have to think that Peterson would be gone if that happened. I wouldn’t mind seeing him play at least a game or two with the Flyers instead of Sandstrom just to introduce him to the club if nothing else.

• Like 1

That would be great if they can get him out of Russia - or Belarus I guess (same difference) but I don't know about playing for the Flyers this season. The guy has never even skated on a North American rink AFAIK, let alone try to stop pucks from NHL shooters!

20 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That would be great if they can get him out of Russia - or Belarus I guess (same difference) but I don't know about playing for the Flyers this season. The guy has never even skated on a North American rink AFAIK, let alone try to stop pucks from NHL shooters!

Sight unseen he can’t be worse than Peterson. That was the premise of giving him a game or 2 to spell Errson going down the stretch and that is still conditional on him getting out of Russia/Belarus. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Sight unseen he can’t be worse than Peterson.

Thanks for the good laugh but seriously he could be a lot worse and if he is ...

do we really want his first NHL memory to be "ja smiardzieŭ?"

supposedly that's "I stunk" in Belarusian.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

57 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yeah he will play for the Phantoms and help them secure a playoff spot.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah he will play for the Phantoms and help them secure a playoff spot.

That is what I figure will happen but I don’t think it would hurt to expose him to the nhl for a game or 2.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

That is what I figure will happen but I don’t think it would hurt to expose him to the nhl for a game or 2.

I agree they are more pressed to get these kids some playoff action in the AHL and they are in a dog fight right now ans with Ersson and Sandström in the NHL they think Kolosov can help and play big minutes to give them an edge in the crease. I'm good with it should help him prepare for the AHL next season too.

Sometimes these kids just "have it". With the KHL being a better league than the AHL, his stats say there is a real chance he's better than Sandstrom or Peterson. Maybe it was all meant to be...throw caution  to the wind and let's catch lightning in a bottle!!

• Like 1

Alexei Kolosov, the Philadelphia Flyers' 2021 draft pick, is expected to join the team soon. His next step is uncertain due to a lot of underlying reasons. If he makes it to Philadelphia, Kolosov could play for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL) while eyeing an NHL spot, amidst the Flyers' need for goaltending depth.

Philadelphia Flyers 2021 third-round draft pick, goaltender Alexei Kolosov, 22, has been on Flyers’ fans radar the entire KHL season, and especially as of late with his Russian club’s campaign coming to an end five days ago.

Kolosov and Dinamo Minsk were eliminated from the KHL playoffs when they lost lost to No. 1 seed Dynamo Moscow. Kolosov kept his club afloat in a heavily outmatched series, with a 2-4-0 record, a 2.21 goals against average and a .925 save percentage, both career bests in the postseason.

As that was nearly a week ago, since then Flyers’ fans have been anxiously waiting to see what’s next for the 22-year-old netminder. Philadelphia’s hockey faithful have a right to be concerned about Kolosov and the organization’s other Russian prospects, Matvei Michkov and Yegor Zavargin as to when (or if) they could come to America.

This quandary is partly due to political issues and the transfer of players’ rights from the KHL to the NHL. Not to mention the “Russian ban” rumours in December 2023, as I noted in a previous article. The Russian Hockey Federation is also pushing for a minimum of 4 to 5-year careers in the KHL for players before considering going elsewhere.

That of course, sparked rumours that have since died down but were hot around the holidays. Kolosov does not fall under these restrictions provided he is on loan, and assuming Minsk allows him to disembark, that is all that stands in the way on that side of him playing in America.

Kolosov is already under contract with the Flyers, having signed his entry-level contract on July 8. However, 11 days later, he was loaned back to Minsk, finishing what appears to be his last season there. Dinamo Minsk reportedly had sent a qualifying offer and he said that he would be returning to the KHL for another year before putting pen to paper with the Flyers.

KHL Career Stats:

During his four seasons in the KHL, Kolosov posted a .909 save percentage and a 2.56 goals-against-average with a 49-56-10 record in 120 games. When comparing other Dinamo Minsk goaltenders all-time, Kolosov ranks second in games played, first in wins, sixth in shutouts (6) and fifth in save percentage.

In the 2023-24 season, he played a career-high 47 games, with four shutouts and 22 wins. He finished the year with a .907 Sv% and a 2.39 GAA. With those numbers, there is no reason he could not cement a spot on a depleted Phantoms roster.

When, What To Expect From Alexei Kolosov In Philadelphia:

If everything goes according to plan, the Belarusian could arrive in Philadelphia within the next week or two if his travel arrangements and visa (P-1A) are all sorted out. Contact has never been an issue for the Flyers’ brass and Kolosov, keeping in touch regularly with the player and his agent Aljoša Pilko.

“The Philadelphia Flyers are in constant contact with my agent,” Kolosov said in an interview for Hockey.by. “We talked recently and said that they were watching all my games and were waiting for me.”

Keith Jones, Flyers’ President of Hockey Operations said some visa things have to be clarified and sorted, but there is a chance Kolosov comes over in the next few weeks.

“There is a chance with Kolosov, for sure,” Keith Jones said on Snow The Goalie Podcast. “I think there will be some visa stuff that has to get clarified but that’s the plan. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, he will arrive. I expect the plan is to send him down to the American Hockey League.”

The best-case scenario for the young netminder is to make it to Philadelphia as soon as possible, whether he plays or not, and get comfortable in new surroundings. Kolosov is free to join the organization at any time, the Flyers hold his NHL rights in this case.

Now, this does not mean he will be an NHL starting goaltender right out of the gate although that’s not to say he can’t be. As of now it will still be Samuel Ersson’s net until further notice. In saying that, it is likely Kolosov will join the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in the American Hockey League either for the rest of the AHL season or to begin the 2024-25 campaign. As for when could fans see Kolosov in the orange and black, he would be will likely spend next season with the Phantoms, as mentioned, while possibly getting a few looks at the NHL level throughout the year.

Given the organizational struggles between the pipes in Philadelphia and Allentown, the latter is the best course of action for Kolosov. With Cal Petersen man-ing the net in Allentown currently, the Phantoms could use the additional support between the pipes.

It’s unclear what the Flyers’ plans will be if Kolosov finds himself on a plane, but given the timetable, he could be in Lehigh Valley near the end of March, which leaves roughly six games unless he is en route by the end of the week. However, it is worth noting that until Kolosov touches American soil, there is still a lot unknown and up in the air.

• Like 2

great, he'll play just soon enough to win 5 games at the end of the season, to push them from the 12 spot in the draft to the 18th.

ok, after typing it's not as funny as I thought, but I'm keeping here anyway 🤪

Edited by Cheesesteak

14 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/03/26/alexei-kolosov-flyers-leaving-dinamo-minsk/

If this article is correct, it doesn’t matter if he is assigned to the Flyers or not it still burns a year off his ELC. If that is the case, why assign him to the Phantoms? Cap hit? Roster size?

To acclimate him to the smaller ice/north American style.

Angle space and time are all sped up due to this you don't want him having PTSD when pucks start flying at form all different type angle so much quicker in close.

Ease em into it.

It's not about his contract it started time he was loaned to the KHL.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2