EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC2) Washington Capitals at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Win 4-0)

Capitals at Rangers  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Old Lion Capitals or Young Lion Rangers?

• Caps in a sweep...stunning the hockey world (as well as the NY Rangers!) in a big, big upset
    • Caps in 5...Wsh gives the Rangers everything they want and then some, and put away the favored Blueshirts
    • Caps in 6... Close series, but somehow, someway, the Caps slay the Blue Dragon
    • Caps in 7... Back n forth series that sees the Rangers ultimately fall in a very disappointing end to their season
    • Rangers Sweep.... Caps were pretenders all along. No surprise.
    • Rangers in 5.... Caps put up some resistance, but in the end, not much to see here
    • Rangers in 6... Blueshirts know they are in a series, but their overall team depth outlasts WSH
    • Rangers in 7... Series that could have gone the Caps' way, ends up going in favor of NY. Rangers sigh relief, but they skate on

Mika Zibanejad wiiiiide open on the Rag power play for the 2-1 lead.

(Interesting that he actually hails from the country of Zibanejad, nestled amongst neighbors and once Soviet Union provinces Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.)

I loved how the Ranger just took the puck from Ovechkin tonight and the Rangers scored a shorty. Ovechkin will never get another Cup, that's for sure. 

The Caps have too many bastards on the team. I hope they never win another game until they retire: Wilson, Oshi, Ovechkin. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC2) Washington Capitals at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Leads 2-0)

Didn't watch the replay on Panarin's check on Oshie. The refs went to the revision for a potential major penalty but he surprisingly didn't get anything while Oshie remained out in the concussion protocol :huh:

Oshie got what he deserved. Props to Panerin after taking a stick to the face and then a face wash from Oshie.  You want to dish out chippy, you gotta expect chippy in return

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AndyInNH said:

Oshie got what he deserved. Props to Panerin after taking a stick to the face and then a face wash from Oshie.  You want to dish out chippy, you gotta expect chippy in return

4 hours ago, AndyInNH said:

I agree. Oshie is dirty and he got away with at least a couple in this game. 

Wilson is the dirtiest player in the NHL. I wish he would get creamed.

I still don't understand why I'm not getting email notifications when posts occur in topics I'm following. Anyone?! 

Edited by RBGordie

There was an upward motion but Panarin's skates remained in the ice and the head wasn't the first point of contact. The right call was given IMO. It's funny because when I watched it live, former NHL referee Stéphane Auger explained that the review was to determine if Panarin should get a 5-min major or a game misconduct. Result: no penalty lol.

The hit was clean. The overreaction to it is laughable.  All the other non-calls and phantom calls in the game were much worse.  This one the refs got right going to the review and Toronto  confirmed it

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC2) Washington Capitals at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Leads 3-0)

Well darn, results in the past 32 hours allow for the Capitals to be the first squad eliminated, as well as the only one failing to win a game.

Good news?  D-Men Nick Jensen and Rasmus Sundin are back in the lineup.

Bad news:  Jensen performs a blooper-reel-worthy puck giveaway in the first minute to give the Rangers a 1-0 lead.

Edited by SaucyJack

On 4/21/2024 at 4:31 PM, SaucyJack said:

Panarin is New York’s bread.  Who is their butter?

His name doesn’t really fit, but he is The Breadman’s linemate, and a very effective one at that, and has been one of the Cap Killers this series, so the answer is Vincent Trocheck.

But I hinted at this several days ago:

On 4/23/2024 at 7:28 PM, SaucyJack said:

Vincent Trochek’s tying goal, beautiful tip redirection, like buttah…

Why isn't Ovechkin out there the entire time the net is empty, or close to it? It'll be interesting to hear Carbury's answer, if he's asked.

Ovechkin had his lowest TOI since 2012. I guess it's a good idea to let one of your best sniper on the bench when you trail 3-0 in the series and you have nothing to lose.

That Sandin penalty had a 7/10 on the Marchment retardation scale.