Al Shaver dies at age 96

Legendary voice of the Minnesota North Stars and the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers Al Shaver died of a sudden illness at the age of 96.  I've seen a lot of people share their memories of his play-by-play over the years.  

Hearing him say, "He Shoots, he scores!!!" is probably my earliest memory of hockey.  What are your memories of Al Shaver and his broadcasts?  

• Sad 1

I remember when the North Stars played the Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals and Jaromir Jagr appeared to spear one of the North Stars players (I can't remember who) and no penalty was called and for the rest of the broadcast Al referred to him as "Jaromir Jagr, King of the Spear!"

• Good Post 1

He certainly didn't mind sharing his feelings about the team if he didn't think something was right or perhaps getting a bit sarcastic about a non-call.  While that's usually shamed in today's broadcasters, I'd be happier with that than today's brown-nosing, excuse-making homers so many teams have working their broadcasts.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Off topic, but I just about did a cartwheel when I saw Jack Edwards was retiring. Jack Edwards was the worst. He even out homered Lapanta…

As a bruins fan, i don't care for him all that much.

Great energy and passion, and outstanding hockey knowledge but his blatant homerism made him suck to listen to sometimes.

I would kill to have Al back calling the Wild broadcasts. My god that would be fun! He wouldn’t be afraid to light the team up if they were goldbricking.  But unfortunately it seems that the current environment is all “rah, rah, rah, don’t criticize the team!”

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

As a bruins fan, i don't care for him all that much.

Great energy and passion, and outstanding hockey knowledge but his blatant homerism made him suck to listen to sometimes.

After years of Jack Edwards calling games for the Bruins, you are claiming someone else was more of a homer?!?!? I hated listening to that guy call games. He made Steve Coates seem impartial…..and yes I am a Flyer fan.

7 hours ago, flyerrod said:

After years of Jack Edwards calling games for the Bruins, you are claiming someone else was more of a homer?!?!? I hated listening to that guy call games. He made Steve Coates seem impartial…..and yes I am a Flyer fan.

Actually, i was agreeing with you...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

Actually, i was agreeing with you...

Sorry I thought you were referring to Al as a homer while ignoring Mr Edwards master class lessons on homerisms. All good home broadcasters have a little bit of homer in them just not too much. Brian Boucher is probably one of the best in the game for impartiality. Tripp Tracy is pretty good too.

Jack Edwards had a pretty good interview on Voice Behind the Voice Podcast, especially when he talks about the day ESPN became a mockery of itself.  But he seemed to not handle the criticism very well and only dug in his heels to act like a jackpipe when challenged.  Glad he's retiring.  

BUT BACK TO THE ACTUAL topic on hand...

Al Shaver lived a full life, as did Bob Cole.  Both great broadcasters who were terrific at capturing the moment and adding to the atmosphere of the even without making it about them.  And son Wally and grandson Jason are an outstanding legacy as hockey play-by-play men who loved the game as much as their father and grandfather did.  

• Like 1

Wally reminded me a lot of Al when he did the U of M broadcasts with Frank Mazacco. Goldy used to be the crowd going with the weekly “Frank” “Wally” “Frank” “Wally” chanting at the Old Marriucci Arena…good times, good times…

• Like 1

I was talking about this with my dad.  Back in the KITN 29 days (Wildcat growl), Wally and Frank were great on the air and I still think peak High School Tournament was Wally on the play by play and Lou Nanne as the analyst.  And that family was the ones that helped preserve was was left when the Marathon Club (that I think had the Hobey Baker) had a fire.  

My favorite Al Shaver memory was listening to a game on the radio where Mike Modano totally undressed a Boston Bruin near the blue line, then finished with a breakaway goal. 

"Modano SCOOOORRRRES! Faked (I forget the Bruin's name) right off his skates... faked him right out of his helmet... faked him right out of his Bee Vee Dees..." 

The Met played the video clip of that goal with Al's commentary at least once a game for the brief duration of their stay in Minnesota, and it never failed to get a good chuckle.

Rest in peace, Mr. Shaver, and thank you for all the memories.

• Like 2