Sharks year in review

PRESEASON OUTLOOK Pretty much last place in the division and a sure fire top lottery pick was the prediction by everyone. Nobody thought much of them this year.

FINAL RECORD 19-54-9 47 points. Last in Pacific. Last in the West. Last in the NHL.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR The Sharks scored the  second least amount of goals of any team in the league, and also gave up the most goals of any team in the league. They had a whopping minus 150 goal differential, worst in a third of a century and 8th worst of all time.

Another strange stat, 36 skaters played for the Sharks and not a single one was a plus player. In fact, 25 players were double digit minus players.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR None really. Oh in January they had a modest 3 game winning streak upsetting the Presidents trophy winning Rangers in one of them, but then they lost 16 of 18 right after so none really. Unless they win the lottery then all bets are off.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR The opening act. They started the year 0-10-1 a near record for opening futility. During the 11 straight losses they scored 12 goals and gave up 55. In fact they gave up 13 power play goals in that time, so the other teams record on the power play was better than the Sharks was for 11 full and complete games. 

WHAT WENT RIGHT Granlund had a decent year leading the team with 60 points. Hertl was ok early until injuries finished him off then he was dealt to the Knights. William Eklund had a decent showing and promise. Zetterlund led the team with 24 goals. Mario Ferraro had a good year, he actually played pretty well. Kids Thrun and Emberson established themselves on the back end.

WHAT WENT WRONG Couture missed most of the season. Kevin Labanc was wretched and looks washed up early. Addison was added to breathe life into the power play and scored 1 goal all year and was a sieve on defense. Vlasic was a shell of his former self, as was Mike Hoffman. Zadina, Eklund and Burroughs were all minus 40 or worse. The goaltenders had bad stats, i have a hard time mentioning them here because their defense was so bad no goalie could have survived the year. Sturm, Barabanov and Carpenter were not NHL players on their best day.

FREE AGENTS lABANC, hOFFMAN, Bailey, Barabanov and Carpenter will all be gone. Kunin, Addison and Zadina are all RFA none will break the bank. 

Cap issues are a bit of a problem, they are paying Burns, Martin Jones, Hertl and Karlsson over 7 million per season NOT to play for them.

TOP PROSPECTS Eklund is firmly established as a top line winger, Bordeleau is likely to be a bottom six center going forward. Thrun and Emberson are bottom pair defenders with a bit of upside. They have so very young prospects such as Musty and Estrom who will likely wait for a year or two before getting regular shifts. They have a few other AHL players in mid twenties who will get into games out of desperation but most are illusion.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS Cmon, there are none. Vanacek is the goalie who will take a beat down next year, Couture and Vlasic make over 15 million a year to wind down their career and the seven plus million they are paying long gone vets eats the salary cap in a very ugly way. Most of the kids are not nearly ready and very raw and are better served as Barracuda in the learning process. 

I guess my question would be, what could they trade Ferraro for? He was rumored being dealt near the deadline, maybe they could add a second for him? 

This was a near historical bad team, one of the worst in ages, I simply think they are bottoming out now and it will be quite awhile before you notice any marked improvement. 

I think Grier had a decent year for the Sharks... The job wasn't to win, but to clear out bad contracts and get draft picks. The only gross contract remainin is Marc-Edouard Vlasic, and he acquired an extra 1st rounder this draft and the next, as well as an extra 2nd round pick this year. I'd say he's done pretty well here. Getting out of the Karlsson contract with getting a 1st and only retaining $1.5M is a tidy bit of work.

• Like 1

High points of the year: I think they beat the Oilers 1.0 (the team that piled up losses at the season start) but they blanked the Blues in St-Louis and this should be painted in teal everywhere in Missouri.

• Haha 1