NHL Inconsistency Strikes Again

Guest Pegulaville26

As much of you know Tyler Myers got a 3 suspension for this hit.....

Last night Zach Bogosian used himself as a self propelled rocket to lay out Andreas Nodl and received a 5 minute penalty and a game misconduct, but news comes today he won't even get a hearing!...

NHL REALLY wants Winnipeg in the playoffs, don't forget Mike Green was given a 3 game suspension as well for an elbow recently.

Unbelievable.

@pugulaville26-

The video on the bogosian hit was kind of hard to access. It looked to me that his hands torso made contact with Nodl chest. The questionable part for me is if he left his feet in a "charging" motion (ala Kornball). For the most part it did not look like a hit to the head to me.

That game did look like some old time hockey though (allot of nastiness going on by both teams all over the ice).

On the Gomez play, that was definite boarding. The only bummer about that is that Tyler was high sticked prior to making the boarding and thus the play should have been blown dead.

@Podein25

I tried to find a better video of that hit, but that was it. I look like the d-man laid a pass right into his feet and Nodl just sent up the wall before getting steam rolled. You really need a camera angle from the other side to see the charging / head shot.

That Nodl hit is exactly the same hit Chris Neil laid on Johnny Boychuk a few weeks ago. IIRC, Neil didn't get a penalty or subsequent discipline. Both were charging calls, IMO. While we may not agree, it would appear that Shanahan is trying to NOT eliminate/police/fine direct North/South hits.

@Pegulaville26

I don't think those hits are the same so they are not comparable. You can compare it to the Kronwall hit on Voracek.

There are 3 different camera angles in the link below. The hit is shown at the 0:55 second mark. In the 2nd camera angle, you can pause the video and see Bogosian's feet still on the ice at the moment of impact. I don't believe the head was targeted, nor was it the principle point of contact. It looks to me like Bogosian went shoulder to chest or front of Nodl's shoulder.

That hit was more "legal" than Kronwall's hit on Voracek.

I do agree with your point about inconsistancy. 5 & game for Bogosian...Nothing for Kronwall.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip640002

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@Vanflyer - I saw it a few times on TSN and IMHO the Bogosian hit is clean and legal. Not really a charge, I don't think. In fact, textbook hit prolly.

It is both surprising and not surprising to observe that people see the same thing and come to very different conclusions. It makes Shanny's job very difficult and I don't envy him.

The hit on Nodl was charging. The video shown doesn't show it, but Bogosian lined him up and took multiple strides at him and made no attempt to play the puck. The five minute and the game misconduct is given - according to the rules - for "intent to injure"

If there was enough intent to injure for the hit to require a game misconduct I fail to see why it wouldn't at least warrant a phone call.

As for "the league" wanting Winnipeg to make the playoffs, Carolina won the game 4-3. Yes, I know Ruutu got an interference penalty to cut down the PP. Maybe Tronno has direct contact with the officials via bluetooth and they're just keeping it a big, bad secret?

The Kronwall hit on Voracek, of course, wasn't a penalty, bears no relation to this hit and was completely legal.