I'm calling it right now.

Guest Samifan

Why did we finish teh regular season having allowed 232 goals?

2 words, "Ilya Brzygalov" accounts for about 85% of the answer. Or say 50%. Or 90%, whatever. The point is the Flyers had spectacularly bad goaltending all year. Not just Biron-bad...but "bad" on a level you rarely (if ever) see in the NHL. Not over the distance of games that Bryzgalov played. Even the great ones throw in lousy performances but our guy was - unbelievably bad all year - until March. So there's no mystery why our GA/game is horrible.

You want to call it "the system" - that's fine. It is I guess, to a point. Obviously the HC is at least somewhat "okay" with lousy TEAM D as long as he wins games. My only point is that the Flyers can play better TEAM D because we've seen them play better TEAM D. Injuries aside, crap goaltending aside, our forwards do backcheck sometimes! When they do it consistently for a whole game we look like a complete team.

Lavy's attack style takes a lot of work, a lot of skating, so it's no wonder the fwds "rest" a bit when they can. They thought they could get away with it one more time, taking it easy on D, but this time the Pens didn't cooperate. I highly doubt we see lazy TEAM D from the Flyers again tonight.

EDIT: God only knows what we see in net from the Flyers tonight....

Edited by canoli

@canoli

both those guys got embarrassed last game, i think the goalies' pride will keep them from stinking out the joint tonight, if Bryz is gimpy & Bob starts he'll be terrific, if Bryz is good to go, then I think he'll be locked in.

too much pride with those two guys to let wednesday's level of play continue.

@Samifan

Our defence has been bad. But have you ever seen an NHL goaltender handle the puck worse, move slower, funnel goals in and just look completely lost in net? Especially one that is supposed to "steal games". He steals them alright, for the opposition.

To answer your question, honestly NO. I thought when they signed him the solved their problems, but Bryz just don't give a EFF he's already got paid and now they are stuck with him...look around the league some teams have two goaltenders....Flyers have to always play with a scrap heap goalie till NOW and they go out and sign a guy who has never even played for the club yet to a 100 year contract.

WHY?

Why doesn't he have to prove himself before forking all that money over to him?

Why?

Why?

Please for the love of God let them close it out tonight and give this group time to figure things out and get healthier...no way this kind of play will get them out the next round...if they get out of this one.

but Bryz just don't give a EFF he's already got paid and now they are stuck with him...look around the league some teams have two goaltenders....

If that's really the case, and this is his mindset, we are even more screwed than we thought.

Of course I have no proof of that, but I think he actually cares and applies himself. I can't imagine he doesn't want to win. Or even if he doesn't, I can't imagine he is stupid enough to think him being that transparent in his lack of desire to play well won't catch up sooner or later.

I actually think things are much simpler. He is merely not good enough. It's really that simple. He has always been a subpar goaltender, who did reasonably well in the Dave Tippett's system - the system that stresses the defense first and basically no risk taking. That has been this coach's mark since his early coaching days with LA Kings in 2000. I don't know how ultimately effective that system is, but what is clear is that it benefits goalies in a huge way. When you have both d-men plus one of the forwards almost constantly hangining around your crease, of course the goalie's job becomes extremely, extremely simpler.

Laviolette employs a drastically opposite style - the style that takes chances and allows a mediocre goalie to be exposed. In Carolina he got away with that because Cam Ward was / is a good goaltender. Cam Ward is five levels above Bryzgalov. He would've succeeded with any coach. Bryzgalov can't because he is a borderline average golatender, and I am using the term "average" just not to be harsh.

I hope this doesn't happen, but if the Flyers lose this series after having a 3:0 lead, I woudl like to believe that Snider will find a way to lose this contract. Personally, I think deep down he realized a long time ago how collosal this mistake was.

@canoli

both those guys got embarrassed last game, i think the goalies' pride will keep them from stinking out the joint tonight, if Bryz is gimpy & Bob starts he'll be terrific, if Bryz is good to go, then I think he'll be locked in.

too much pride with those two guys to let wednesday's level of play continue.

Bryz does not respond to hurt pride, look at the past several months.