Is Philly a loser sports city?

Guest trevluk

I have come to the realization that my home town is a loser sports city. Of cities that host four major sports teams, we have a paltry number of championships to show for it. The Eagles only won once, 52 years ago before I was even born and have never actually won a "Super Bowl". The Sixers have won twice but it has been almost 30 years. (They also won twice as the Philadelphia Warriors back before color television.) The Phillies have won twice but have a sad record of 2 - 5 in 7 world series appearances. (They did win 5 times as the Philadelphia Athletics back when people still rode horses for transportation.) The only team providing more heartbreak in championship finals are our beloved Flyers who are a pathetic 2 - 6 in 8 Stanley Cup appearances. (I have personally witnessed 5 of those 6 losses and was too young to remember their only 2 wins.) So in modern sports championships all 4 teams have a combined grand total of 6 championships. Compare that to NY or Boston and we are a joke. I am sorry, but the numbers dont lie. Philly is a loser sports city. Sigh.

(They did win 5 times as the Philadelphia Athletics back when people still rode horses for transportation.)

In the interest of accuracy, the Phillies were never the Athletics. They were two different teams, A's in the AL and Phils in the NL.

I have come to the realization that my home town is a loser sports city. Of cities that host four major sports teams, we have a paltry number of championships to show for it. The Eagles only won once, 52 years ago before I was even born and have never actually won a "Super Bowl". The Sixers have won twice but it has been almost 30 years. (They also won twice as the Philadelphia Warriors back before color television.) The Phillies have won twice but have a sad record of 2 - 5 in 7 world series appearances. (They did win 5 times as the Philadelphia Athletics back when people still rode horses for transportation.) The only team providing more heartbreak in championship finals are our beloved Flyers who are a pathetic 2 - 6 in 8 Stanley Cup appearances. (I have personally witnessed 5 of those 6 losses and was too young to remember their only 2 wins.) So in modern sports championships all 4 teams have a combined grand total of 6 championships. Compare that to NY or Boston and we are a joke. I am sorry, but the numbers dont lie. Philly is a loser sports city. Sigh.

you forgot the Philly Soul won the Arena championship and the Phantoms won the Calder Cup...those huge victories should satisfy you for at least another 20 years..

I feel much better.

Also, I think the Philadelphia Freedoms won a couple of WTT championships.

But in answer to your first question, no I don't think Philly is a loser sports city. Not at all in fact. Some of the fans have a complex but that doesn't stop a players from wanting to be here. My definition of a "loser" sports city is one where players don't want to play; they want to play somewhere else. That's not the case with Philly, especially the Flyers.

Imagine how the Blues fans feel right now. Toronto? God, that's a slice my wrist open scenerio.

yes, they both must be hating life, but it is a far cry from going to the Stanley Cup Finals 6 times and thinking that they actually have a chance of winning the greatest trophy in all of sports, and then losing EVERY TIME. To quote Francesco Bernouli, a charachter from Cars 2 (one of my 3 year old son's favorite movies), - "To truly crush one's dreams, first you must raise up their hopes very high."

yes, they both must be hating life, but it is a far cry from going to the Stanley Cup Finals 6 times and thinking that they actually have a chance of winning the greatest trophy in all of sports, and then losing EVERY TIME. To quote Francesco Bernouli, a charachter from Cars 2 (one of my 3 year old son's favorite movies), - "To truly crush one's dreams, first you must raise up their hopes very high."

I know... Believe me...I know. I gather from your previous comments I'm about 2 years older than you and have the fortune of remembering Gene Hart screaming on the radio when they won the 2nd cup! Seems like I'll be dead before they win the next one but I think we have some REALLY good years coming at us. Besides, I know it looks bleek and it is, but we are not done this year... yet!

I live in toronto and without a doubt toronto is the worst losing city.

Just look at the teams under the MLSE umbrella:

LEAFS

RAPTORS

TORONTO FC

Edited by touche22

I live in toronto and without a doubt toronto is the worst losing city.

Just look at the teams under the MLSE umbrella:

LEAFS

RAPTORS

TORONTO FC

True, but Joe Carter did crush our dreams with his walk off world series home run in what should have been another championship year for the Phillies if not for the unforgivable chokes of Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams.

among the US's biggest cities & sports markets (Boston, NY, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, San Fran, LA), Philly certainly is the loser of the bunch. But given that we win every once in a while, we are certainly a level over cities like Buffalo and Cleveland, which are true loser cities.

I have come to the realization that my home town is a loser sports city.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. Home of the Bluejackets. I win. Oh wait, we do have the OSU Buckeyes. Hold on, that's only a college team. Our greatest claim to fame. I win again. But they can't seem to win the big games either. Especially if it's against the SEC. Philly's looking really good! hehe.