Over/under On How Long Paterno Lasts At Penn State

Guest rickmac19

Sources seem to want to leak that Penn State will send him on his way even within the week--wow!

I don't usually like to mix personal morality and sports, but if he knew and let Sandusky roam the campus...

well, let's just say that 840 wins wouldn't overcome that, and I would vote Bonds into the BBHOF before any kind of lifetime honor for Paterno; how do you call yourself a human being if you swallow your tongue over abuse like that?!!

Very curious to see how this plays out; prepare for a "spin" storm!

From CNN news alert:

Penn State University's Joe Paterno has announced that he will retire at the end of the season after 45 years as head football coach.

The resignation comes after a child sex abuse scandal in which one of Paterno’s former top assistants, Jerry Sandusky, has been charged with seven counts of "involuntary deviant sexual intercourse." Sandusky is accused of forcibly sodomizing young boys. One of those cases allegedly occurred in the shower of the Penn State locker room. A graduate assistant reported that incident to Paterno, who alerted the school's athletic director but did not talk to criminal authorities. Paterno has not been charged in the case, but he faced widespread calls to resign for not fulfilling his moral responsibility.

Paterno has the most career victories of any coach in major college football history with 409 wins. His contract was set to expire at the end of the year."

This whole scandal is going to get uglier before it gets better. More victims coming forward. More clarification on who knew what and when. Apparently Sandusky was was investigated for the same thing in 1998 (1 year before he retired). Paterno claims he did no know (I call BS on that one). I also read that Sandusky gave a commencement speech...not the ceremony for all graduates but one of the individual schools. Still...how they let this guy roam the campus, have an office, use facilities and give speeches long after knowing his history is beyond me.

How about you guys read this before you make all your assumptions and since nobody has talked and we don't know what was said or who knew what, why don't we reserve our judgements instead of buying into all the judgement?

http://thatlawyerdude.blogspot.com/2011/11/strong-defense-of-joe-paterno-why.html

Joe Paterno did nothing wrong. He may not have been 100% right, but he wasn't wrong, so he shouldn't be punished. Let it play out and let him speak first. Reading the Grand Jury Report will also help clarify a little bit. I'm not looking for an argument but as a current Penn State student, it has been really crazy here and I'm sick of the media and everyone pointing fingers at Joe Paterno and trashing our university because one man was a sicko.

How about you guys read this before you make all your assumptions and since nobody has talked and we don't know what was said or who knew what, why don't we reserve our judgements instead of buying into all the judgement?

http://thatlawyerdud...aterno-why.html

Joe Paterno did nothing wrong. He may not have been 100% right, but he wasn't wrong, so he shouldn't be punished. Let it play out and let him speak first. Reading the Grand Jury Report will also help clarify a little bit. I'm not looking for an argument but as a current Penn State student, it has been really crazy here and I'm sick of the media and everyone pointing fingers at Joe Paterno and trashing our university because one man was a sicko.

Thanks for posting this. I'm as big a Penn State fan as I am a Flyers fan and this whole scandal has been gut wrentching for me. I've been saying alot of what the Lawyer Dude said in his blog. The Media is injecting too much subjectivity into this scandal. Lots of people are running their mouths making Paterno look more guilty than Sandusky. It pisses me off that people are not looking at the FACTS but instead are are siding with the media and other speculation.

Thanks again for posting the link.

Thanks for posting this. I'm as big a Penn State fan as I am a Flyers fan and this whole scandal has been gut wrentching for me. I've been saying alot of what the Lawyer Dude said in his blog. The Media is injecting too much subjectivity into this scandal. Lots of people are running their mouths making Paterno look more guilty than Sandusky. It pisses me off that people are not looking at the FACTS but instead are are siding with the media and other speculation.

Thanks again for posting the link.

I couldn't care less about Penn State, but, Paterno is getting wronged here. The guy reported it up the food chain, which is what he's supposed to do, and people are going after him with vigilance? What about the actual accused? What about the AD where the whole thing got swept under the rug?

I couldn't care less about Penn State, but, Paterno is getting wronged here. The guy reported it up the food chain, which is what he's supposed to do, and people are going after him with vigilance? What about the actual accused? What about the AD where the whole thing got swept under the rug?

Bingo! And No one wants to fault McQueary who never told Paterno what he really saw......The Alumni have been trying to get rid of Paterno for years and this opportunity was too good to pass up.......

"This is a tragedy.It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more." Joseph Vincent Paterno

The problem is the media only wants the last sound bite because it makes Joe sound guilty. Gee, i wonder why the students overturned the media van.....

And then the Trammell guy with his first remark "they were throwing rocks and bottles and I even got hit with a rock" then in his next inter view".....well it was small.....and it brushed my pant leg....it almost left a mark......."

Nooooo........the media NEVER sensationalizes anything.....just the facts......

Edited by flyerrod

No matter what side you sit on... it's a sad thing.... I went to Penn but at times during my life, I have wished I had gone to Penn State... After this, I'm glad I didn't.

I wonder how many Penn State Alums around the country now wish they didn't attend Penn State. That's sad... people should show pride when it comes to their schools.

I went to Penn Stat and I am still proud of it. The education I got there was second to none.

I think this whole Paterno fiasco has been completely mishandled and I think the board of trustees saw this as an opportunity to get rid of him (they have been trying since '04). No one actually knows what happened behind the scenes. On the surface Joe did do the right thing and flowed it up to his superiors. Why didn't he follow up? Who knows what he was told and what he actually knew? There is evidence that the center county DA knew about it and did nothing (why isn't this person dragged through the media?).

I am embarrassed that PSU caved into media pressure and fired Paterno. I believe it was premature as we don't have all the facts yet. I do believe the case will get uglier for PSU. People should also remember what happened at Duke. The wrong people were villainized in that case as well and by the time the truth was revealed it was too late.