Kimmo Timonen time to retire

Guest phlfly

This is from the Broad Street Bull...Then my plan is below.

"Now that their season is over, where do the Flyers go from here?

Well, one of the first things on general manager Paul Holmgren’s agenda is trying to resign defenseman Matt Carle ($3.4 million cap hit this year) and right winger Jaromir Jagr ($3.3 million), a pair of potential unrestricted free agents. The Flyers would like to sign both players, a source said

The Flyers have $61.2 million committed to next year. If Chris Pronger is on the long-term injured reserve list again next season, the Flyers will get $4.9 million of cap relief.

That would mean they would have about $56.2 million committed to 2012-13 salaries. The current cap is $64.3 million, but it is expected to rise to around $69 million.

So the Flyers would have about $13 million of cap room, and that number will drop when they sign restricted free agents Jakub Voracek and Marc-Andre Bourdon.

They could free more room by dealing winger James van Riemsdyk ($4.25 million), and, remember, Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter, a potential UFA who figures to get a big raise from his $3.5 million salary, is on the Flyers’ radar.

The 40-year-old Jagr, who scored just one goal in 11 playoff games _ none against the Devils _ said he didn’t know what would happen in the off-season."

OK, so I hope the numbers are correct. If they are we have allot of money to work with. 13 Million minus MAB and Voracek's resisgnings... Lets say we have 8.5 million left (because they will get modest raises). Then we trade JVR and a pick for Schenn and we still have enough for Suter. Then we will have to many D-men, so we drop Carle and Kubina which is another 7 Million! More than enough to get a major play making winger to replace JVR and play with Giroux....

How's that for a plan?

Kubina is UFA and not figured in those numbers. Carle is also UFA and not included in the numbers. You can't "Get that money back" because it's not there to begin with.

The $69M number is the only real question. And that's all part of the new CBA looming.

The spending gap between top and bottom is approaching $17M annually (Flyers/Caps $66M - Jets/Canes/Stars/Avs/Sens/Isles $51-$49M) which was one of the major points of imposing the cap. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. (numbers from capgeek.com)

There are a lot of questions for the cap beyond just "next year" as Giroux/Schenn/Couturier will ALL be RFAs in 14-15 (and Read UFA) with Voracek/Z/Sesito RFA this year and Simmonds/Wellwood/Rinaldo RFA next.

Luke Schenn is signed for $3.6M - going with your $8.5M number, do you see them getting Suter for $5.4M ($4.9M cap and JVR's $625K cap difference with Schenn)?

Kubina is UFA and not figured in those numbers. Carle is also UFA and not included in the numbers. You can't "Get that money back" because it's not there to begin with.

The $69M number is the only real question. And that's all part of the new CBA looming.

The spending gap between top and bottom is approaching $17M annually (Flyers/Caps $66M - Jets/Canes/Stars/Avs/Sens/Isles $51-$49M) which was one of the major points of imposing the cap. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. (numbers from capgeek.com)

There are a lot of questions for the cap beyond just "next year" as Giroux/Schenn/Couturier will ALL be RFAs in 14-15 (and Read UFA) with Voracek/Z/Sesito RFA this year and Simmonds/Wellwood/Rinaldo RFA next.

Luke Schenn is signed for $3.6M - going with your $8.5M number, do you see them getting Suter for $5.4M ($4.9M cap and JVR's $625K cap difference with Schenn)?

You beat me to it, I was on cap geek also and realized my numbers are all jacked up. IF the cap goes to 69 and we got Pronger on LTIR and Trade JVR (of coarse we'll be taking salary back) and according to Geek we were starting out with 3 mill, then we would have 16.85 million available...Unless I jacked up the numbers again. Who knows what the salary would be of whom ever we trade JVR is and some RFA are gonna get raises... So that comes out of the 16.85 mill also...

You beat me to it, I was on cap geek also and realized my numbers are all jacked up. IF the cap goes to 69 and we got Pronger on LTIR and Trade JVR (of coarse we'll be taking salary back) and according to Geek we were starting out with 3 mill, then we would have 16.85 million available...Unless I jacked up the numbers again. Who knows what the salary would be of whom ever we trade JVR is and some RFA are gonna get raises... So that comes out of the 16.85 mill also...

RFAs don't HAVE to get raises. Voracek could be tendered at $2.25M for next season. Guys under $1M are something like 105% of previous for a tender. It's not always the best thing for the relationship with the player, but it is possible.

So, take that $61.2 they have committed next year and add, say $3.25M and your best-case starting out is about $64.5M. You can waive Shelley (please) and get another $1.1M and the Pronger Situation is another $4.9 available for about $10.5M best case with 11 forwards, 5 D and 2 Gs.

I think the Grossman signing means Carle goes. I think they try to work a longer term deal for $4M or so with Voracek. Can Suter be had for $6M?

RFAs don't HAVE to get raises. Voracek could be tendered at $2.25M for next season. Guys under $1M are something like 105% of previous for a tender. It's not always the best thing for the relationship with the player, but it is possible.

So, take that $61.2 they have committed next year and add, say $3.25M and your best-case starting out is about $64.5M. You can waive Shelley (please) and get another $1.1M and the Pronger Situation is another $4.9 available for about $10.5M best case with 11 forwards, 5 D and 2 Gs.

I think the Grossman signing means Carle goes. I think they try to work a longer term deal for $4M or so with Voracek. Can Suter be had for $6M?

6 million is the lowest number but i doubt it. JVR for Schenn maybe? Take the 6 million add the 650K that Schenn makes less than JVR... 6.65 Million. Maybe we can pick up a good winger or another real decent d-man but probably not Suter. And give Voracek a reasonable rais and the under 1 million guys a bit more than 5%...as you said, for better relations. And maybe the cap does go 3-5 million.

Even though you know that Bryz handles the puck like I handle booze?

I know you would never throw a drink on David Clarkson (waste of good liquor).

But seriously, yes. Bryzgalov is an NHL goaltender who is supposed to have at least rudimentary puck skills. He's certainly supposed to have good enough judgement to cover up if he doesn't think his modest puck handling skills are adequate to deal with a given situation. He's also supposed make the same plays in the games that he does in practices and I have little doubt that it wasn't the first time Timonen slid the puck to him.

Also, even though Bryzgalov's performance was pathetic through most of the season, we have to resist dumbing down our expectations to match his sad play. He's getting $10MM this season to make that play and he needs to make it.

Edited by terp