Dale Hunter Steps Down As Washington Capitals Head Coach

Guest Irishjim

By Travis Hughes - NHL Editor

Dale Hunter has stepped down as head coach of the Washington Capitals, and it's believed he'll return to his old job behind the bench in of the OHL's London Knights.

Follow @sbnation on Twitter, and LikeSBNation.com on Facebook.

May 14, 2012 - The Washington Capitalsannounced Monday morning that head coach Dale Hunter will not return to coach the team for the 2012-13 season, citing "family reasons." The news comes just two days after the Capitals season ended with a Game 7 loss to the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

FAN590 in Toronto reports that Hunter is expected to return to the London Knights, the Ontario Hockey League club he co-owns and had coached before taking a job with the Capitals earlier this season.

Hunter, one of the most celebrated players in Capitals history, took over the coaching position in late Nov. after the team fired former bench boss Bruce Bourdreau. Hunter's coaching tenure with the Caps was tenuous as both fans and media alike questioned his ability to motivate the team. There were questions about his future following the playoff exit -- would taking the top-seeded Rangers to a Game 7 save his job? -- but now those questions are answered.

There wil be another coaching search this summer in the Nation's Capital.

For more on the departure of Dale Hunter from the Capitals and fan reaction to the news, check in with Japers' Rink.

I think he weighed the pros of having a group of young guys who WANT to learn against the cons of having multi-millionaires that he has to force to play defence so they can actually contend. It's probably like pulling teeth. Plus, he probably couldn't take the pay cut in the NHL.

Is this Ovechkin killing another coach? He actually got the crap-hole team to win a round in the playoffs after their dreadful start. It's either a "death by Overchicken" or it really was a personal preference to go back to London. Unless the ownership/GM has had a lobotomy/aneurysm.

He actually got the crap-hole team to win a round in the playoffs after their dreadful start. It's either a "death by Overchicken" or it really was a personal preference to go back to London. Unless the ownership/GM has had a lobotomy/aneurysm.

I thought he did a miraculous job getting the caps to round 2 where they lost to the top seeded team in the East in 7 games with a rookie tender. If Hunter is leaving, I hope is of his own volition. He did something that not many coaches are able to do in today's NHL and that is hold players accountable.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see Ovechkin and Semin in the World Championships that are going on right now. I wonder if either of them actually absorbed any of the "team first" mentality that Hunter was trying to drill into their heads. Does Ovechkin throw himself in front of a slapshot trying to block it, or does he save his energy to dive into the glass celebrating an 8-1 goal over Sierra Leone? My guess is the latter.

Hunter seemed very laid-back every time he was interviewed during the post-season. I bet he'd already decided to return to London. I also think you hit the nail on the head with the observation that it's more rewarding to work with eager young kids than with multi-millionaire showboats.

Hunter seemed very laid-back every time he was interviewed during the post-season. I bet he'd already decided to return to London. I also think you hit the nail on the head with the observation that it's more rewarding to work with eager young kids than with multi-millionaire showboats.

He quite literally has a vested interest with the London Knights and seeing to the continuing success of that program. As a Flyers fan, I am kind of glad to see he is not going to be hanging around to make the Caps a much harder team to play against....