Brodeur ponders the UFA market.....

Guest jammer2

What a thought....the NJ Devils without Martin Brodeur in the nets. Seeing him in another jersey would be a shock. I've typed quite a bit in the shotbox about how much I like Scott Wedgewood. He's the hier to the NJ nets. Saw him play lots and lots during our Memorial Cup runs, he played across the river in Plymouth. Many games we threw 60+ shots on the kid and he always played like it was 0-0. Really nice positioning and quick feet. Kid has promise, but obviously, a big blow to NJ's cup chances not having Marty around. NJ without Marty and Praise?? Wow, they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs, even with that smothering boring style.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399513

I've heard the number 6 mill tossed around. Would not be surprised at all to see him fetch that on the open market. Can see him hooking up with Detroit. Doubt he would do it, but what a great match-up the Oilers and Marty would be...all those young guns with Marty in net would be wicked fun! Think their window will be closed by the time Brodeur retires, so maybe the Oilers will not be in the picture....sure Marty wants one more cup.

What a thought....the NJ Devils without Martin Brodeur in the nets. Seeing him in another jersey would be a shock. I've typed quite a bit in the shotbox about how much I like Scott Wedgewood. He's the hier to the NJ nets. Saw him play lots and lots during our Memorial Cup runs, he played across the river in Plymouth. Many games we threw 60+ shots on the kid and he always played like it was 0-0. Really nice positioning and quick feet. Kid has promise, but obviously, a big blow to NJ's cup chances not having Marty around. NJ without Marty and Praise?? Wow, they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs, even with that smothering boring style.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399513

I've heard the number 6 mill tossed around. Would not be surprised at all to see him fetch that on the open market. Can see him hooking up with Detroit. Doubt he would do it, but what a great match-up the Oilers and Marty would be...all those young guns with Marty in net would be wicked fun! Think their window will be closed by the time Brodeur retires, so maybe the Oilers will not be in the picture....sure Marty wants one more cup.

I just don't know that I could grasp that. I also don't think he would do as well in any system that isn't trap based. I think the Oilers run and gun style would run Marty into the ice. LOL

As much as I loathe the North Jersey Devils, seeing Marty in a different jersey wouldn't seem right.

He's played in the same smothering system his entire career, I really wonder if/why he would want to go somewhere at 40 where the system wouldn't fit his style.....I mean aside from the Rags (where he obviously will not be going), who plays a game that fits Marty's comfort zone?

@jammer2

I think Brodeur testing free agency puts a whole new interesting twist to Vancouver trying to trade off Luongo. Or should the Kings trade Bernier? I'm not so sure Florida is really in the market unless they are able to trade away Theodore.

Supposively Marty wants 5-6M. That is a very steep price for a back-up, which means he really still wants the starting role. I think that takes the Blackhawks out of the mix. The Devils should really just forget about Parise and sign Brodeur. He's worth it imo to mentor Kinkaid.

@jammer2

The most surprising thing in that article is that the Devils haven't even made Marty an offer yet? Seems a bit....I dunno disrespectful for lack of a better word.

And yeah Schultz is really getting the royal treatment, seems to me Marty has earned that (not some college punk) yet his own team hasn't stepped forward.....oh well, who said life was fair!

@sarsippius Really....how do you do that to Marty? Your franchise goalie of 20 years does not even get a phone call. At the very least, man up and tell Marty he should explore other options...and yeah, maybe a "thanks so much for the 2+ decades of all world goaltending." Geez, thought Lou had more class than that.

@hf101 I'm thinking the Black Hawks are very much in the Brodeur sweepstakes. I don't think it would be expored until they traded Corey Crawford. I honestly don't think they view him as the long term solution in net. I could see them trading Crawford and signing Marty. 3 different times last year Emery stole the #1 job from Crawford. He was straight up horrible at times last year. Long losing streaks at home, soft goals late in the 3rd....it was not a great year for Corey. Brodeur would make a perfect stop gap until they find/develop the next goalie....just my take.