If Pittsburgh signs Doan....

xganarchy

@xganarchy

I dunno if they'd go that route or not. It's not like the Pens are in the same conference as the Wings. To sign a player just worrying about the possibility of a Stanley Cup Final matchup is a pretty big leap. I don't know that anyone will risk Semin with his bad reputation UNLESS it's very short term and bargain basement pricing.

• Like 1

I don't know that anyone will risk Semin with his bad reputation UNLESS it's very short term and bargain basement pricing.

^^^This^^^ Though if there's an organization that has a hope of putting a player like Semin in line I'd have to say that Detroit would be on the short list.

Yeah I'm not saying the Wings will sign Semin BECAUSE the Pens got Doan, just that their offseason has been uneventful and disappointing. The only large prize left would be Semin if Doan is snagged. I don't think any teams are too keen on taking a chance on Semin, but i was just pointing out the Wings may feel the pressure and cave in.

@xganarchy: Well, stranger things have happened, so anything's possible. Like I said, Detroit would be on a short list of teams who could be successful in whipping a guy like Semin into reality. That being said, I just don't know that the Wings would go for it. IMO they need to address the D more at this point. But who knows...

^^^This^^^ Though if there's an organization that has a hope of putting a player like Semin in line I'd have to say that Detroit would be on the short list.

Yeah, but how many green backs will it cost is the question. That is half of the reason why he is unsigned. He is a typical lazy Russian only interested in money. He should just go play in the KHL and get PAID there.

I know I am painting Russians with a broad brush- but I, as a hockey fan have had enough. 7 out of 10 that make it to the NHL turn our to be lazy turds only in it for the money.

I will take a Swede, Finn, Norwegian, GERMAN, over a Russian player 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Signed

Bobby Clarke

• Like 1

@Vanflyer I can see the Wings signing Semin, should Doan turn them down. Big thing here is length. I'm sure the Wings will only want a 1 year deal. They can afford to give him 6 or 7 mill for that one year.....let's face it, they won't spend all that cap space this year, so a 1 year deal leaves them free to maneuver next summer and gives them some much needed offense for the coming season. It would seem to work out well for both parties. Semin could snag a nice long term deal with somebody should he play decent and put up respectable numbers.

• Like 1

@xganarchy

I hope you are wrong. The Red Wings don't need Semin. We need a solid defenseman.

We are about to see just how good (or bad) Jimmy Howard is this year. I like Jimmy, but I'm cringing as I write this. To be honest, the game in front of him will be TOTALLY different, and it is going to take some adjusting to acclimate to it, and he may look bad as he adjusts. He is a GOOD goalie, but ANY goalie looks better than he is when Lidstrom plays in front of him, especially if Lidstrom leads others to play better than THEY otherwise would be also. Lidstrom is gone, and not only will he be missed, so will his leadership on the D.

Semin is just a headline for them at this point. The only way they should get him is if NOBODY wants him and the price DOES go bargain-basement. Otherwise, even though it hurts in the short run, the Wings should hold onto their money and wait for the better opportunity to rebuild their team.