Who do I belong to?

hf101

@Vanflyer

Phil Myre

"Originally selected by the Montreal Canadiens in the 1966 NHL Entry Draft, Myre played parts of three seasons with the Canadiens. In 1970-71, because of an injury to Rogatien Vachon, he played 30 regular season games and dressed in 70. However, during the playoffs, the Canadiens went with rookie Ken Dryden. When Montreal won the Cup, Myre on the team picture and was given Stanley Cup ring. However, his name was left off the Cup, even though he qualified, because he did not dress for any playoff games."

Edited by Bertmega

I had no idea before the hint, but I remember a documentary on the 70's Habs and they made mention of Myre not having his name on the cup.

Great memory. I did not know that trivia fact either. I thought it was classy of the Habs to give him the ring. The cup name thing has been a long standing tradition (if you don't play in the playoffs, you don't get your name). Kind of tough if you are a back-up goalie and Ken Dryden is the starter in his rookie year.

The cup name thing has been a long standing tradition (if you don't play in the playoffs, you don't get your name).

A little more to it...

Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible to have their name inscribed on the Stanley Cup. Currently, a player must have played at least 41 games for the championship team during the regular season (provided the player remains with the team when they win the Cup) or played in at least one game of the Stanley Cup Finals. However, since 1994 teams have been permitted to petition theNHL Commissioner, to be considered on a case-by-case basis, to engrave a player's name on the cup if the player was unavailable to play due to "extenuating circumstances". For example, The Detroit Red Wings received special permission from the NHL to inscribe the name ofVladimir Konstantinov, whose career ended after a car accident on June 13, 1997, on the Stanley Cup after Detroit defended their title in 1998

A little more to it...

You just schooled me- and I mean that in the most gentlemanly sense. But how does that rule apply to Goalies? Also, when Myre played for the Canadiens, I believe it was 1971. Was there a different rule then, or was it just a judgement thing. I mean Myre WAS the backup to Dryden on that team.

You just schooled me- and I mean that in the most gentlemanly sense. But how does that rule apply to Goalies? Also, when Myre played for the Canadiens, I believe it was 1971. Was there a different rule then, or was it just a judgement thing. I mean Myre WAS the backup to Dryden on that team.

I don't believe there is any distinction between skaters and goalies, as far as the rule goes. Myre's situation happened before 1977 so he would have had to dress for a game to get his name on the cup. He didn't. Rogie Vachon was the back up. Myre isn't the only player from that team to not get his name on the cup.

Serge Savard played 37 regular season games, but missing the rest of season injured. Phil Myre played 30 games dressed for 70 games, but was not dressed in the playoffs. Both players were included on the team picture, but not engraved on the cup even though they qualified.

• 2 weeks later...

You should probably throw your guess out there. No one else seems to know who it is.

Since you said not to google, I am guessing either Tim Thomas or Ryan Miller for team USA. I would lean toward Tim Thomas just given his position on not to visit the white house for his cup ceremony.