Flyers goalie Bryzgalov: 'I'm skinny and prepared'

Guest idahophilly

@fanaticV3.0 " One solid season could change things, but his resume says career backup. "

I'd be willing to bet you're wrong on that one. Bob will be a good starting goalie in this league.

Yes, his save percentage dipped below .900 last year, (.898) but his rookie year it was a respectable .919....his GGA went from 2.59 to 3.02.

A couple things to factor in here, he accomplished these stats with a LOT of shoddy defense in front of him. The Flyers d left him out to dry many, many times. Second...his combined record for both years is a very respectable 42-23-10. Those are excellent win/loss numbers for a guy new to the country and 22 and 23 years old (he just turned 24 on Sept 20)....and not playing a steady gig, one start a week a lot of times.

Yep, nothing screams career back-up like lightning fast reflexes and solid positional play...ha ha.

He wasn’t alone, but totally **** the bed in the PO a few years ago.

I know I am nitpicking here, but he played in one playoffs and it was his rookie season where he obviously had problems down the stretch.

Additionally, his numbers for that playoff were actually better than Bryz's this past year. Add to that, his regular season numbers his rookie season were the same as Bryz's this past year- sans no shutouts.

If you want to make an argument that you think his potential is a career backup based deficiencies you see in his style fine, but if you are going to do it on stats alone, you are mistaken. Bobs is superiorly quicker than Bryz. Is he perfect- no. Bryz has played North American hockey for 1/3 of his life. Bobs has played North American hockey for two seasons.

well I'd say anyone who watched Bob his rookie year and compare him to 30-year old Bryzgalov .... you'd almost have to be bias in favor of Bob.

Everyone except, perhaps, the "hockey guys" who make the decisions for the Flyers...

You can look at this in 2 ways. each supports the opposite arguments. Comparing Bob at his age and development isn't a fair comparison to Bryz at 30 years old and it's also not enough of a big sample for either of them. Bryz has (whether people admit it or not I don't really care anymore) a tough set of circumstances to overcome and Bob simply hasn't played enough yet for a true look. Either way you slice it, it sucks that there is a lockout because we would need THIS season for a more thorough evaluation. But, sooner or later, we are gonna have to let the whole Bob thing go. He's not here anymore and that's not Bryz's fault. Yell at Homer if you must for that. But i recall people also complaining about the goal tender tandem last year and Homer did make a decision so... It is what it is. The lockout comes at a bad point for Bryz. But one could also make the opposite arguement for that to!!!

@idahophilly Really, what a HUGE breach of trust, that should factor into the sentencing IMHO. Life in prison if there is loss of life, minimum 15 years just for people losing their life investments due to this guys horrible judgement!! This was planned and carried out, not many people just start a fire "spur of the moment".

@idahophilly Really, what a HUGE breach of trust, that should factor into the sentencing IMHO. Life in prison if there is loss of life, minimum 15 years just for people losing their life investments due to this guys horrible judgement!! This was planned and carried out, not many people just start a fire "spur of the moment".

His whole family are vol fire fighters. He "thought" this would bring them closer together to be out there fighting it together! Didn't think it through to well did he?

@fanaticV3.0 " One solid season could change things, but his resume says career backup. "

I'd be willing to bet you're wrong on that one. Bob will be a good starting goalie in this league.

Yes, his save percentage dipped below .900 last year, (.898) but his rookie year it was a respectable .919....his GGA went from 2.59 to 3.02.

A couple things to factor in here, he accomplished these stats with a LOT of shoddy defense in front of him. The Flyers d left him out to dry many, many times. Second...his combined record for both years is a very respectable 42-23-10. Those are excellent win/loss numbers for a guy new to the country and 22 and 23 years old (he just turned 24 on Sept 20)....and not playing a steady gig, one start a week a lot of times.

Yep, nothing screams career back-up like lightning fast reflexes and solid positional play...ha ha.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because it's been a really long time since I was on or even thought about PTPITN, but aren't you the same guy who predicted Carter would score 60 goals a year?

I should amend my statement a little bit. I think he could be a starter, but not necessarily a particularly great one. I see him being one of those guys that is a starter sometimes, but not consistently. It will all depend on the team he's on. He's Brian Boucher or Niittymaki.

I know I am nitpicking here, but he played in one playoffs and it was his rookie season where he obviously had problems down the stretch.

Additionally, his numbers for that playoff were actually better than Bryz's this past year. Add to that, his regular season numbers his rookie season were the same as Bryz's this past year- sans no shutouts.

If you want to make an argument that you think his potential is a career backup based deficiencies you see in his style fine, but if you are going to do it on stats alone, you are mistaken. Bobs is superiorly quicker than Bryz. Is he perfect- no. Bryz has played North American hockey for 1/3 of his life. Bobs has played North American hockey for two seasons.

You have a very interesting way of making a point. When comparing both players seasons last year, you ignore the best part of Bryz's season . You compare Bob's PO stats (smaller sample) to Bryz's entire season this past year. Do you believe that I'm a stupid person or have you actually fooled yousrelf into thinking that's a good way to make your point look stronger?

@fanaticV3.0 yeah, that was me bro....LOL!!! That was (hopefully) my worst prediction ever. I didn't factor in a few things, Carter is as dumb as a doorknob...never evolved from the one shot, over and over again. He became to easy to defend, never utilized his linemates, lack of hustle, one trick pony....the list goes on an on....geez, just when I thought people would forget that travesity of a predcition....ha ha. At the time he was a 22 year old kid who had just put up 43 goals, so adding 17 (at least at the time) didn't seem that much of a stretch.

I stick by Bob, he will be a good starting goalie, better than Bouch or Nitty. I don't know *how* good he can be on a wretched team like the Jackets, but he is a talented kid who will get better with time. You can't teach lightning fast reflexes, and Bob has that and sound positional play....he will make in impact in Columbus and go on to a solid career.

@fanaticV3.0 yeah, that was me bro....LOL!!! That was (hopefully) my worst prediction ever. I didn't factor in a few things, Carter is as dumb as a doorknob...never evolved from the one shot, over and over again. He became to easy to defend, never utilized his linemates, lack of hustle, one trick pony....the list goes on an on....geez, just when I thought people would forget that travesity of a predcition....ha ha. At the time he was a 22 year old kid who had just put up 43 goals, so adding 17 (at least at the time) didn't seem that much of a stretch.

I stick by Bob, he will be a good starting goalie, better than Bouch or Nitty. I don't know *how* good he can be on a wretched team like the Jackets, but he is a talented kid who will get better with time. You can't teach lightning fast reflexes, and Bob has that and sound positional play....he will make in impact in Columbus and go on to a solid career.

Michael Vick is considered to be a good athlete. Kordell Stewart was considered so "athletic" and "versatile". Neither one of them was a great or particularly good quarterback.

Now before you go saying I said athleticism means nothing, I'm not saying that. But if that's the core of your argument, I'm not impressed.

He might be really good one day, who knows? But based on his resume so far, I don't think he's particularly special. I know it's been a short career, so I'm not ignoring that either.

At least Bob is able to crack the top 30 goalies in the KHL in GAA. Bryz is working on making the top 60 in a 26 team league. He does have one win though. At least he's equally as great on both sides of the pond.

Does this count as a year off his infinite contract?