Cancellation of the All-Star Game

It's a Canadian Game

The NHL today cancelled games scheduled up to December 14th and with that have also cancelled the NHL all-star game scheduled to have been played in Columbus. Now is this cancellation more severe than it seems? Columbus' attendance this past season ranked 27th out of the 30 NHL teams. So would bringing the NHL all-star game help to bring more fans out to the games and get them interested in hockey? Is this cancellation a huge missed opportunity for Columbus, a team looking to finally get a strong fan base?

So would bringing the NHL all-star game help to bring more fans out to the games and get them interested in hockey?

Probably. Couldn't hurt.

Is this cancellation a huge missed opportunity for Columbus, a team looking to finally get a strong fan base?

Probably not a humungous big missed opportunity, but certainly a significant missed opportunity. Kind of ironic that the league ends up screwing one of the teams that it is supposedly trying to help with this lockout.

Ironically Phoenix lost out hosting the All Star Game in 2006.

I'm sure hosting an All Star Game helps aid in gaining new fans. However if Columbus were to really want to keep and gain new fans they are going to need to build a team that wins so they can make a run in the playoffs. It takes time to build a strong fan base. It isn't achieved in one or two nights.

Is this cancellation a huge missed opportunity for Columbus, a team looking to finally get a strong fan base?

The next all-star game will still be held in Columbus. The bigger picture is will anybody care to go regardless of the venue??

@Vanflyer

It hasn't been made up. Phoenix is still trying to host one. There are seven NHL cities that haven't hosted an ASG. Nashville, Phoenix, Washington D.C. Newark, Anaheim, Winnipeg and Columbus.

The Flyers are scheduled to host the 2014 ASG.

@Vanflyer

It hasn't been made up. Phoenix is still trying to host one. There are seven NHL cities that haven't hosted an ASG. Nashville, Phoenix, Washington D.C. Newark, Anaheim, Winnipeg and Columbus.

The Flyers are scheduled to host the 2014 ASG.

Well, then that does suck for Columbus because that is a missed opportunity. I guess back to the OP comment, would it really have a significant impact in Columbus anyway?? While I agree it would not hurt, but does it really help generate fandom- regardless if it is an established team / city or new??

In all I think it's hard to say how much of an impact it would bring, but when you have all the best players for not just a game but the skills competition and the entertainment during the intermissions of the game it becomes something much more. The weekend has become a huge hockey festival that is no doubt to put a show on for the fans. And with all eyes on the excitement on Columbus I think the weekend definitely gets people more excited about hockey and in a market such as Columbus or Phoenix where a fan base is small I think the festivities could very well make new fans.

• Like 1

I think of all the venues the all star game could have gone to, Columbus will miss it the least. It's just not an NHL city. I believe it's a foregone conclusion that they will move someday in the near future.

Agree With This

The team needs to be sold. I don't really understand why a team in Columbus can not be successful. The organization has been mismanaged from the start (poor selection of GM / coaches- aside from Hitchcock, poor drafting, poor operational front office). I mean as a piss poor team, they still garner 15K on attendance. That is more than 1/3 of the NBA.

@Vanflyer I think the other thing hurting them is not having one star to look up to or a face that says "Columbus". They had Nash, but now who is their go to player?? They need to bring in some names, whether through the draft, trade, or free agency. If you don't have a reason for fans to be excited then they won't be.

I think the other thing hurting them is not having one star to look up to or a face that says "Columbus". They had Nash, but now who is their go to player?? They need to bring in some names, whether through the draft, trade, or free agency. If you don't have a reason for fans to be excited then they won't be.

Interesting point. After Forsberg left, the Flyers needed to get a "face". That off-season the choices were Drury, Briere and Gomez. I personally wanted Drury, but it turns out that Briere was the best (and cheapest) of all three.

I actually think Jack Johnson could possibly be that guy. Its hard for me to understand what happened to him in LA, but in the NCAA and international competition- he was a beast (of course he had Erik Johnson helping him at the international level). I also think that Bobrovsky might have to the chance to be a "poster-child" hockey player. He has deficiencies but is extremely athletic and a work-a-holic (comes from an extremely hard working blue collar family / town).

@Vanflyer I think the other thing hurting them is not having one star to look up to or a face that says "Columbus". They had Nash, but now who is their go to player?? They need to bring in some names, whether through the draft, trade, or free agency. If you don't have a reason for fans to be excited then they won't be.

Boone Jenner. The kid is going to be great.