Fighters need a new code....

jammer2

The time has come. Seeing Armstrong go down the Flyers vs Habs game only reinforced what I was already thinking. The NHL should make visors mandatory. Let me start by saying I have always hated visors, how they get in the way during fights, how they allow dirty players to hide behind them. I just think the safety aspect should take precedence. This was all brought about for me with the Kevlar sock debate....which lead me to think, are the eyes not as important as anything a sock protects? I came down on the NHL should mandate Kevlar socks, so the next logical step in my thinking is visors. It really is time for this rule, don't know how the NHL or NHLPA could not make this decision....another no brainer.

Glen Healey was saying during the second intermission, 75% of all NHL players now wear visors, seems a tad high to me, but I will take him at his word. So, we are really only talking about 25% of the players currently not wearing them. To me, it's kinda like the sealbelt law here in Ontario, sometimes, you have to protect people from themselves.

If they do mandate visors, all the guys who fight should make a new code, remove the bucket before the fight starts, if at all possible. I can just hear the crys now....."but, they will hit their head on the ice and get a concussion". It's a valid arguement, but...most of these guys will do it, they take punchs in the face from 250 lbs beasts for a living, there is a few screws loose anyways. I'd rather see all the eyes protected, then worry about the adjusted fighters code.

I know players can get their eyes injured even with the visors, but ya gotta admit, Mr.Armstrong would not have gone down had he donned a visor to start that game.

I close with the ol' reliable..."if it saves just *one* eye"......

@jammer2

This is an issue I have often struggled with. In my league most of the men wear cages, but I wear a half visor, and play defense. Worse yet, I'm one of those stupid defensemen who forgets its just a beer league and I actually block shots. Hell I only started wearing a cup last year. I know.. I know... But at what point do you take a player's personal decision away. Do we take the argument that when they sign the contract they become a team commodity? Or do they retain their freedom of choice, not matter how poor?

@Polaris922 "But at what point do you take a player's personal decision away."

When the world becomes so politiclly correct you have to give away stuff like personal decison....ha ha. The world is headed in that direction. It's a very iffy thing to take away the decision from the players, but...there is predesence...the decision to mandate helmets...why not grandfather the visor thing in...and then those who want to finish their career without a visor can do so, but all new players must comply....makes sense to me, that's how they introduced helmets. Then the league is safer and some players still retain their right of personal decision....really, probably only 10% would hold out if they mandated it. I'd be ok with that.....

Hell I only started wearing a cup last year.

And we can only hope that some blessed shot has taken your ability to create any more pens fans before you decided to don the cap as it were....... :D

I have seen some of the guys who wear visors take off their helmets before fighting, not sure if that is any code or just because they don't want the visor to cut their face,,,,,

@Polaris922 "But at what point do you take a player's personal decision away."

When the world becomes so politiclly correct you have to give away stuff like personal decison....ha ha. The world is headed in that direction. It's a very iffy thing to take away the decision from the players, but...there is predesence...the decision to mandate helmets...why not grandfather the visor thing in...and then those who want to finish their career without a visor can do so, but all new players must comply....makes sense to me, that's how they introduced helmets. Then the league is safer and some players still retain their right of personal decision....really, probably only 10% would hold out if they mandated it. I'd be ok with that.....

You know... the funny thing is they grow up without being allowed to make that decision, and when the game gets to the fastest most dangerous levels of play, we suddenly let them do away with face protection!

• Like 1

And we can only hope that some blessed shot has taken your ability to create any more pens fans before you decided to don the cap as it were....... :D

I have seen some of the guys who wear visors take off their helmets before fighting, not sure if that is any code or just because they don't want the visor to cut their face,,,,,

Too late... already had four of them and retired from that fools game!

@ I understand where you are coming from, but some of these kids are 18-20 years old. I know I thought differently and made different decisions from when I was a late teenager to say 28-30. I never ever wore a sealtbelt until I was about 25, then common sense somehow kicked in. Think it had more to do with the whopping 125 dollar fine I got at 25, but that's a story for another day.

I'm not for this "Mandatory". These guy's are adults and should be mindful of the risks involved. Give them the options for added safety and let them be responsible for there future health.

The players are playing (working) for someone else, at some point whether it be for player safety or insurance, etc, individual decision becomes meaningless.