Whither Malkin?

pensuck

@B21

Work on fitting malkin and letang under the cap first. You guys are running out of room:)

Some of you keep saying that, but I don't see where we're running out of room at all. The true talents of our team are signed for another year yet. We currently have over $8.6 million in cap space free right at this moment. Next year the cap drops, but really the only people RFA or UFA are all making $2 mill or less and will easily fit under the space. The cap drops, and we show $10 mill free to resign those guys. Malkin will then take the same deal Crosby got most likely, and Letang could double his salary at that point and still fit in under projected cap space quite easily.

So can anyone please show me where we're running out of room?? We'll face the same issue ALL teams face with reducing pay to players to stay under the lower cap space, but every team will be coping with that reality. I think Shero has left them wiggle room BECAUSE of that.

@B21

Work on fitting malkin and letang under the cap first. You guys are running out of room:)

Maybe. Malkin won't be an issue. He'll get his $300,000 raise from $8,700,000 to $9,000,000...same as Crosby. No way in H E Double L he gets more than Sid. Me thinks he knows that, too.

Letang is going to be the problem. Market value says his salary doubles from $3,500,000 (in that range) to $7,000,000. I can't get too concerned if he walks with all the talent in the pipeline. Depres. Dumoulin. Poulliot. Maatta. Morrow. Sucks to be us, eh? ;)

@B21

I wonder when Malkin may want to be the undisputed #1 on a team. You'd think players of that calibre would want to be The Man, wouldn't you?

Not if you're already being made wealthy beyond your dreams, and accepting tied for first in pay means more shots at the ultimate prize.

@B21

I wonder when Malkin may want to be the undisputed #1 on a team. You'd think players of that calibre would want to be The Man, wouldn't you?

Maybe. I haven't seen much to indicate that. He may be one of those rare Russkies who actually does care about a Cup. If it becomes clear this summer that his demands will be too much then I would think Shero deals him. Imagine the haul he would get.

I think the bigger issue is that after this season and next season for the Pens, they have 8 significant UFA's--Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis Cooke, Engelland, Niskanen, Letang, Orpik They are a deep organization, but given the cap drop, and the UFA's, there is little doubt the Pens could be a very different roster in the next 12-16 months.

I think the bigger issue is that after this season and next season for the Pens, they have 8 significant UFA's--Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis Cooke, Engelland, Niskanen, Letang, Orpik They are a deep organization, but given the cap drop, and the UFA's, there is little doubt the Pens could be a very different roster in the next 12-16 months.

Most of those guys are pretty manageable cap wise... It'll come down to who is reasonable and who is greedy.

@B21

You can keep all of that talent and we'll still slap you silly come playoff time. Do you have visions of hulkamania going through your mind right now??? Hahaha...

You have to get there first. No sure thing this year. Oh, by the way...

1975 ;)

Ah! I see 4 defencemen on that list. I think Shero's plan all along was to have the next generation up and running by the time those guys' current deals are up. No one in that bunch is getting a big raise though. Not even Malkin. Still, it's a good problem to have when you have too much talent to (maybe) afford. ;)

Most of those guys are pretty manageable cap wise.

So was Matt Carle until he hit the open market and Tampa threw $5.5 million/year at him. My point was simply that signing 10 guys in 12 months is a lot easier said that done. Then again, Pittsburgh is such a lovely place from November thru March, I'm sure all 10 will give the team HUGE home discounts. :P

@B21

The team would certainly be a lot deeper. You could probably get a nice 2nd line for malkin.

Just for fun...any ideas? I'd prefer a team out West. I'd want 2 #1 picks plus a player (or 2 players and a #1 pick) and a prospect. So it would need to be a team willing to give that up that thinks Malkin puts them over the top for a Cup.

If you are the Sharks, do you part with Couture, Pavelski and a #1+ to get Malkin?

@B21

Malkins young enough that it doesn't need to be a team going for the cup. It could just be a team that needs a face... I can't believe I just said that.

Ha! I thought the same but if you are not a contender chances are you are rebuilding...wouldn't make sense to give up picks, prospects and players just to get a...errr....face.

@B21 "If you are the Sharks, do you part with Couture, Pavelski and a #1+ to get Malkin?"

I do think you are in the right ballpark, but that would decimate the core of the Sharks. I woudn't do that if I'm SJ, esp taking into account they have no idea on the ceiling for Logan. Maybe Thornton, Pavelski and a first...something that allows them to retain more youth....although I don't see how that would work cap wise for the Pens.

Edit, I suspect this kid would be part of the talks...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/tomas_hertl/

Edited by jammer2

@B21 "If you are the Sharks, do you part with Couture, Pavelski and a #1+ to get Malkin?"

I do think you are in the right ballpark, but that would decimate the core of the Sharks. I woudn't do that if I'm SJ, esp taking into account they have no idea on the ceiling for Logan. Maybe Thornton, Pavelski and a first...something that allows them to retain more youth....although I don't see how that would work cap wise for the Pens.

Edit, I suspect this kid would be part of the talks...

http://www.hockeysfu...ts/tomas_hertl/

Decimate is kinda strong. They'd still have a very solid "core"...just older when you take those guys out of the equation. I'd don't think the Sharks would part with Thornton either. Not having the cap figures in front of me I would think he has the highest hit among himself, Pavelski and Couture so you likely right that the numbers there wouldn't work out. Maybe the Pens can send something back to the Sharks, too.

Don't know much about Hertl but I'd take him. Seems OK other than being Czech. ;)

@B21

With that comes the spotlight that he doesn't want that having Crosby around shields him from. Malkin is not the guy to do all the interviews, before games, during games after games. I think from that standpoint, he's happy where he is, almost all that type of focus is in Crosby and not him. He can concentrate on being the man on the ice, and he gets all the ice time he needs, and seems to play with the better wingers anyway.

• Like 2