Lines w/ Iginla

B21

@nossagog

I took the liberty of starting a new thread with your comments....

"Holy Stacked Deck Batman!". Wow, just wow. I figured that after the Morrow/Murray trades, Boston would go after Iggy. And I can't believe that someone did not offer more than two prospects and a first rounder. Think of the possilbe line combinations:

Dupuis-Crosby-Kunitz (Hotest line in hockey cannot be broke up, I know the temptation will be to move Dupuis off and put iggy on)

Neal-Malkin-Iggy :o

Bennet-Sutter-Morrow

Cooke-Jeffery-Kennedy

Jeffery, Glass on the back burners

I think they try Iginla on a line with Crosby to start.

Iginla / Crosby / Dupuis

Neal / Malkin / Kunitz (Remember how great these guys were last year?)

Morrow / Sutter / Kennedy

Cooke / Vitale / Adams (4th line problem solved...)

(Glass)

Orpik / Martin

Letang / Niskanen

Depres / Murray

(Eaton / Engelland)

Fleury

Vokoun

Bennett and Jeffrey to the AHL (Assuming Jeffrey does not have to go through waivers?)

@B21: I think you may be right about the first two lines. I have to admit, it scares the bajeezus out of me to think about messing with that top line. I was also looking forward to Morrow opening up space for Malkin and Neal. It's almost one of those "good problem to have" situations. Still, I hate tinkering with stuff when it's working well. All of that said, it sure is an exciting time to be a Pens fan. Shero is a master!

@B21: I think you may be right about the first two lines. I have to admit, it scares the bajeezus out of me to think about messing with that top line. I was also looking forward to Morrow opening up space for Malkin and Neal. It's almost one of those "good problem to have" situations. Still, I hate tinkering with stuff when it's working well. All of that said, it sure is an exciting time to be a Pens fan. Shero is a master!

I agree - scares me, too. The only reason I'm willing to do it is because of how well the Malkin/Neal/Kunitz line clicked last year. We almost owe it to Iginla in a way to at least try and see if he and Crosby develop that chemistry (I think they will). I don't want Dupuis on a 3rd or 4th line...that's a waste the way he's played these last two seasons.

Of all the guys on the current 3rd line I think Cooke is the best fit for the 4th line.

Also, if I am Bylsma, I roll all 4 lines the rest of the season. There is enough scoring on the top 3 lines where the top 2 lines don't need 20+ minutes per game and the 4th line can play 10+.

@nossagog

I took the liberty of starting a new thread with your comments....

"Holy Stacked Deck Batman!". Wow, just wow. I figured that after the Morrow/Murray trades, Boston would go after Iggy. And I can't believe that someone did not offer more than two prospects and a first rounder. Think of the possilbe line combinations:

Dupuis-Crosby-Kunitz (Hotest line in hockey cannot be broke up, I know the temptation will be to move Dupuis off and put iggy on)

Neal-Malkin-Iggy :o

Bennet-Sutter-Morrow

Cooke-Jeffery-Kennedy

Jeffery, Glass on the back burners

I think they try Iginla on a line with Crosby to start.

Iginla / Crosby / Dupuis

Neal / Malkin / Kunitz (Remember how great these guys were last year?)

Cooke / Vitale / Adams (4th line problem solved...)

(Glass)

Orpik / Martin

Letang / Niskanen

Depres / Murray

(Eaton / Engelland)

Fleury

Vokoun

Bennett and Jeffrey to the AHL (Assuming Jeffrey does not have to go through waivers?)

They'd lose jeffery to waivers. Just dump Glass, literally.

Bennet, I hope he's not the odd man out, just think what he could learn playing with this team. Put him on a line with Sutter and Morrow, and we have a third scoring line.

@B21 I just can't see them breaking up that first line, it would be madness, shear madness. There is only so much chemistry to go around, that line has it, as that wise man Murphy once said, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!".

Malkin's line has had so many wingers for him an Neal on it this year, there's no chemistry to lose, put Iginla there. If that line becomes a fully productive even strength line like Crosby's line, yikes.

Your power play just got ridiculous.

when Malkinstein comes back damn, Crosby centering Igina and Malkin with Letang , wow, put Neal out there some where or on the 2nd unit. holy ****...

Can't see them change that too much.Neal would stay on the first unit, with everyone focused on Crosby and Malkin, he eats up those one timers from the faceoff dot, that's the Pens bread and butter.

Top unit typically plays 75% of the PP, run in Iginla maybe and use four forwards and a defense. Crosby-Malkin-Neal-Iginla-Letang.

They'd lose jeffery to waivers. Just dump Glass, literally.

Bennet, I hope he's not the odd man out, just think what he could learn playing with this team. Put him on a line with Sutter and Morrow, and we have a third scoring line.

@B21 I just can't see them breaking up that first line, it would be madness, shear madness. There is only so much chemistry to go around, that line has it, as that wise man Murphy once said, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!".

Malkin's line has had so many wingers for him an Neal on it this year, there's no chemistry to lose, put Iginla there. If that line becomes a fully productive even strength line like Crosby's line, yikes.

I know but the 2nd line is broke (at least at even strength). I think reuniting Kunitz with Neal and Malkin fixes that and pairing Iginla with Crosby and Dupuis really isn't going to cause a drop in point production. Iginla and Kunitz are very similar as far as style of play. Morrow on the 3rd line gives you the luxury of moving Cooke to the 4th which gives you the luxury of making Glass a scratch.

But do you really take Kunitz from Crosby?? Kunitz is second in league scoring and first in plus/minus with him. Do you risk losing that?? I sure don't.

Iginla/Crosby/Kunitz

Neal/Malkin/Morrow

Dupuis/Sutter/Bennett

Cooke/Adams/Kennedy

Letang/Orpik

Martin/Murray

Niskanen/Depres

That's how I'd try it to start anyway... Give it a few games and see where our conflicts are. Glass sent to another country, and Jeffrey selling peanuts in 222.

I know but the 2nd line is broke (at least at even strength). I think reuniting Kunitz with Neal and Malkin fixes that and pairing Iginla with Crosby and Dupuis really isn't going to cause a drop in point production. Iginla and Kunitz are very similar as far as style of play. Morrow on the 3rd line gives you the luxury of moving Cooke to the 4th which gives you the luxury of making Glass a scratch.

As long as by scratch you mean jetison into the great abyss as garbage.

The second line technically isn't broke,because it never really worked. Neal and Malkin have had so many fillins on that line, with Bennet being the only one who seemed to fit in. Put Iggy there to start and see if it lights a fire.

Today's lines at the game day skate were:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis

Morrow-Malkin-Neal

Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy

Glass-Vitale-Adams

(Bennett, Jeffrey)

Orpik-Martin

Murray-Niskanen

Despres-Eaton-Engelland

Sigh, poor Beau, I really think he deserves to be in the lineup. Sounds like Malkin is a gametime decision, I'd personally sit him tonight.

But do you really take Kunitz from Crosby?? Kunitz is second in league scoring and first in plus/minus with him. Do you risk losing that?? I sure don't.

Iginla/Crosby/Kunitz

Neal/Malkin/Morrow

Dupuis/Sutter/Bennett

Cooke/Adams/Kennedy

Letang/Orpik

Martin/Murray

Niskanen/Depres

That's how I'd try it to start anyway... Give it a few games and see where our conflicts are. Glass sent to another country, and Jeffrey selling peanuts in 222.

How do you know Kunitz is going to keep that pace? He's having a great year but that great year projects at 40 points above his prior career high.

No one is giving Dupuis any love! I think right now Morrow fits on the 3rd line better than Dupuis does.

I also keep Orpik with Martin.

As long as by scratch you mean jetison into the great abyss as garbage.

The second line technically isn't broke,because it never really worked. Neal and Malkin have had so many fillins on that line, with Bennet being the only one who seemed to fit in. Put Iggy there to start and see if it lights a fire.

Today's lines at the game day skate were:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis

Morrow-Malkin-Neal

Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy

Glass-Vitale-Adams

(Bennett, Jeffrey)

Orpik-Martin

Murray-Niskanen

Despres-Eaton-Engelland

Sigh, poor Beau, I really think he deserves to be in the lineup. Sounds like Malkin is a gametime decision, I'd personally sit him tonight.

That line worked last year...with Kunitz. ;)

Looks like those lines are a sign of things to come for Beau. I like him, too. I think he has a bright future. But we just made three deals that basically say "Cup or fail." No need to bring a rookie with what...10-15 NHL games?...along for the ride unless you have to. And we don't have to. We can mix and match the lines but when everyone is healthy our lines should consists of these twelve guys:

Iginla / Crosby / Dupuis

Neal / Malkin / Kunitz

Cooke / Vitale / Adam

@ nossagog

I'm with you on Bennett. But I'm wondering if he'll get sent down soon.

He and Despres will probably get sent back down as soon as Iginla gets here(tommrow) and Malkin is taken off of IR. They'll probably be right back up next week when the playoff roster expansion kicks in.

We almost owe it to Iginla in a way to at least try and see if he and Crosby develop that chemistry (I think they will).

I have to agree fully with this. And at the very least, we know Iggy is a class act and a character guy. He's not the guy that's going to come in and disrupt the locker room and make waves. I think the biggest bonus to these moves (as some have alluded to) is how it can improve our 3rd and 4th lines through the "trickle down" effect (if you will). Man, this is exciting stuff! It still just doesn't seem real that Shero pulled all of this off!

If I were the Pens, I'd be worried about Bennett being lost in the shuffle. He really deserves his roster spot and should be at *least* on the 3rd line, which is stronger no matter how this line combo thingy works out in the end, or just for today's game for that matter. Plus, Cooke will solidify the 4th line, and subtracting Glass makes them much more dangerous in the offensive zone, Mr. 0 pts is now locked into the pressbox....which is really additon by subtraction.

• Like 1

@Polaris922 See, that sucks, maybe it's just for a short stint while they work out the kinks with the NHL guys. But if he is a part of the future going forward, which I hontstly believe he will be, it's super important to get him playoff experience, let him get his feet wet and see how much he has to adjust with the lack of room available in the playoffs, increased intenstiy, the extra conditioning necessary etc.

@Polaris922 See, that sucks, maybe it's just for a short stint while they work out the kinks with the NHL guys. But if he is a part of the future going forward, which I hontstly believe he will be, it's super important to get him playoff experience, let him get his feet wet and see how much he has to adjust with the lack of room available in the playoffs, increased intenstiy, the extra conditioning necessary etc.

April 3rd I think he'll be back. Roster expansion.

• Like 1

Okay, just finished watching the game on DVR. Damn they look scary, and I am GLAD to hear Shero say he has no plans on breaking up the top line. Two for Duper one for Kunitz tonight and sooooo many chances. You can't break that up.

As for Morrow, I loved what I saw from him tonight, his net front presence created havoc in there, and gave Neal and Malkin many chances. Sutter is going to have alot of fun with him on the third line once Iginla gets here.

Murray's first game, solid. He even pushed into the offensive zone once or twice tonight.

That was a pretty dominent game against a division leading team, this is gonna be fun to watch.

• Like 1

I chuckle a little about the very nature of this threat. I mean... you guys are concerned about potentially messing with chemistry because of how well-balanced and deep your roster looks right now.

I wish we had your problems. :angry:

It is intersting - and sad - how just one year after the Flyers beat the Pens in the first round of the last year's playoffs our team went in diametrically different directions.

Edited by Mad Dog

If I were the Pens, I'd be worried about Bennett being lost in the shuffle. He really deserves his roster spot and should be at *least* on the 3rd line, which is stronger no matter how this line combo thingy works out in the end, or just for today's game for that matter. Plus, Cooke will solidify the 4th line, and subtracting Glass makes them much more dangerous in the offensive zone, Mr. 0 pts is now locked into the pressbox....which is really additon by subtraction.

I'm with you on Bennett but I want him to gain experience in his future role...not being in the line up just for the sake of being in the line-up. I hate when teams do this.

The Pens did it with Tangradi. Show us what you got kid working with.....Craig Adams and Max Talbot. A 7th round pick later...

I have 9 better options than Bennett for a spot on the top 3 lines (Crosby, Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Malkin, Iginla, Morrow, Sutter, Kennedy). Yes, Kennedy. I have 3 guys BORN to play on a 4th line (Cooke, Adams, Vitale). So who sits in favor of Beau? It's not that I don't think he can't contribute...I just have better options.

Next year for Beau.