Did we really just make it through the trade deadline....

Guest flyercanuck

I don't know dude... you had me until you reminded me about Harry Z.

The guy wasn't a star or even a terribly great role player. But he had some value. Did we trade him just to not have to deal with resigning him?

It's not the losing of Harry Z, it's just the quandry of why they bothered?

It wasn't a good trade. Harry is worth more than Rosebud... Hill.

But besides that... just... why? It's far more preplexing and confusing than frustrating or angering.

This may be the most impressive trade deadline I've seen out of Homer outside of the Coburn deal. If losing Harry Z was all it took to get the fever out of our gm, consider it an asset well spent.

To be fair, Bob will probably be making a bit more than a million on July 2nd.

I'd assume he'll be making about the same as Mason by then.

Not that it matters. A little Patience and Bob would still be here.

HOWEVER, I still return to my take home point on the goalie situation:

If Bobrovsky was our goalie, our record would be pretty similar to what it is now.

In fact if most ANYONE in this league was the goalie of this team, the team would still be fighting for it's playoff life and not likely to win the battle.

we traded for our former back-ups, back-up! The best part of that is his salary is 3x higher than if we just kept Bob

@King Knut "If Bobrovsky was our goalie, our record would be pretty similar to what it is now.

In fact if most ANYONE in this league was the goalie of this team, the team would still be fighting for it's playoff life and not likely to win the battle."

I dunno about that. I think Bob is steadily getting better the more he plays, and he would have a lot more goal support in Philly rahter then the Blue Jackets. We're 6 pts out of a playoff spot right now, I think having Bob woulda got that back plus some.

@King Knut

I think the Harry trade was stupid. But it wasn't as costly as something Homer would have done if we were already in the playoff race.

Bob might not have us in any better position right now. But the difference is, going forward, Bob has upside. Bryz is only going to get worse over the next 27 years of his contract. Plus Bob is about 1/3 the price.

We're 6 pts out of a playoff spot right now, I think having Bob woulda got that back plus some

I know it's all woulda-coulda-shoulda, but if the Flyers had kept Bobrovksy and re-signed Jagr, I'm betting that they are in 7th or 8th place now, fending off the late chargers, not trying to be one of those late chargers. And if not, they could have trade Jagr for the picks and prospects Boston gave up.

Ah well.

• Like 1

I know it's all woulda-coulda-shoulda, but if the Flyers had kept Bobrovksy and re-signed Jagr, I'm betting that they are in 7th or 8th place now, fending off the late chargers, not trying to be one of those late chargers. And if not, they could have trade Jagr for the picks and prospects Boston gave up.

Ah well.

He woulda gotten hurt just like Briere and Mez.

@jammer2

Hard to believe he was 3rd overall in that draft class though. He's a good player, but theres a LOT of guys who've jumped over him since Florida picked him IMO.

I think in retrospect definitely not worthy of the 3rd overall pick but he is definitely someone who I think could help the Flyers. He has a ring, size, can score (with Giroux I could see him easily averaging 25 - 30 goals) and is young enough to blend in with the team when our youth hits its prime.