Bryz and his Plus One (Buyouts)...

Guest King Knut

I suppose Buying out Bryzgalov is too expensive for Snider to even think about... but they have to be contemplating it at this point with the Mason trade in mind.

If they buy out Bryz that's a huge chunk of change that I can only assume would prohibit them buying out anyone else.

Who else would you buy out though?

Briere seems the most likely candidate, but he also seems like someone you could trade. I'm frankly surprised we didn't see it this year, but apparently a concussion calling his season into question combined with his desire not to move made short work of that.

I thought the Kings might take a run at him for the playoffs and send us Bernier in return... but that was a pipe dream too.

Personally I wouldn't mind buying out Pronger just so the charade can come to an end, but for $13 million or whatever it'll cost, I assume they'll keep the charade going.

if you buy out bryz and use a mason as starter and that fails then what? what do you have for goaltending to back up mason? it's easy to get rid of money but how are you supposed to fill the hole?

mason is not a good goalie that's why bob beat him, if you think he'll start here over bryz you are crazy.

Keep in mind that buyouts are actually cheaper than paying the rest of the contracts. In most cases, the buyout is 2/3rds of the remaining value (unless there are special rules for this particular round of buyouts).

I fully expect bryzgalov and briere to be bought out this summer. Their caphit-to-effectiveness ratio says they are only attractive to teams well below the cap ceiling, and their NMCs says they can't be traded to those teams.

WHY buy out Pronger? They gain absolutely nothing by buying out Pronger. Plus, they can still trade his cap hit to St. Louis.

I expect Bryz to not last past next season, primarily because the opportunity to get out of the next six years of the deal is too attractive.

As was noted, Comcast has the bucks to buyout the whole league, much less the team.

I also expect Briere to be gone after next season - via trade or buyout. He will have massive value at the deadline if the Flyers are out of it ($2M on a $6.5M cap hit) and would then be a viable buyout for a team at a low price.

They're re-loading the same gun, ladies and gents. Book. It.

@King Knut You can't buy out a player if they are hurt so Pronger is a no go. @toughfighter83 Buy out Bryz and trade for Bernier. Go forward with both Bernier and Mason as your goalie tandem. If they suck then we get a high draft pick to actually draft one lol.

you are crazy, la would probably want courts and first round pick for him, la is not going to want less for him, draft one? it takes years to develop goalies not months not unless he's a first overall pick.

you are crazy, la would probably want courts and first round pick for him, la is not going to want less for him, draft one? it takes years to develop goalies not months not unless he's a first overall pick.

I think I am crazy for following this team for as long as I have. So you are OK going forward with what we have now in net? Keep signing/trading for goalies no one else wants? Maybe we need to suck the next few years to get high picks and draft the goalie or defensemen we need. Our core at forward are still young enough to rebuild the back end. If not you have to give up to get what you need (goalie and no.1 dman).

That's my dream come true... or at least a best case scenario at this point.

I like Simmonds now, but I was so pissed when I realized we traded Richie for something other than Quick. He was the guy I wanted bad. Bernier has a lot of upshot though he could work well.

LA will want something decent for him, but they're not in a great position to be making demands. Maybe Homer will try the offer sheet trick again... ha ha ha! it could work with LA as the price for Quick goes up by 4 million next year.

Go forward with both Bernier and Mason as your goalie tandem.

That's my dream come true... or at least a best case scenario at this point.

I like Simmonds now, but I was so pissed when I realized we traded Richie for something other than Quick. He was the guy I wanted bad. Bernier has a lot of upshot though he could work well.

LA will want something decent for him, but they're not in a great position to be making demands. Maybe Homer will try the offer sheet trick again... ha ha ha! it could work with LA as the price for Quick goes up by 4 million next year.

we are not getting bernier, he's worth too much, besides this team need defense and number 1 winger, it's going to set this team back more if you are giving up good assets for a goalie and not for a d-men, it's crazy.

You're not that crazy. Bernier is RFA after this year and LA's payroll is going up quite a bit next year. Quick's new salary goes into place and they have to resign/replace a bunch of guys. Plus we have a nice relationship with the Flyers West anyway. Bernier isn't likely to resign for more than a year and that'll only be if he HAS to. He'll be asking for a trade most likely so he can get the chance to start somewhere.

The chances are quite good I think that LA will be shopping him for a sign and trade. They're defnitely going to want something in return for him, but Coots and a First is way outta proportion. If Homer comes knocking, it'll probably be a matter of whether or not someone else offers the kings more for the kid.

I think I am crazy for following this team for as long as I have. So you are OK going forward with what we have now in net? Keep signing/trading for goalies no one else wants? Maybe we need to suck the next few years to get high picks and draft the goalie or defensemen we need. Our core at forward are still young enough to rebuild the back end. If not you have to give up to get what you need (goalie and no.1 dman).

I'd do Couturier for Bernier straight up, but not throw in a first rounder. I might hate on Cooter's skating, but I also see his flashes of talent and trust his history. Bernier I like, but he's still just as unproven and getting older.

Well I agree with you, but if they buy out Bryzgalov, you're going to have to put goalie back on the need list with the Defense (i"m not terribly convinced about the winger).

I'm the one who keeps saying Bryz isn't as bad as everyone says. The team isn't losing because of him. No Way No How is that the case. BUT Bryz's contract is the real problem. If they buy him out, Mason and Boucher sure as hell aren't going to cut it. They'll need to do something and as I laid out above, Bernier isn't going to cost as much as you think. There are plenty of reasons the Kings might be looking to deal him, first and foremost being that Quick will make more than Bryzgalov and will do so for the next 10 years and he'll be doing so at the exact same time Bernier is an RFA looking for a starting job somewhere.

we are not getting bernier, he's worth too much, besides this team need defense and number 1 winger, it's going to set this team back more if you are giving up good assets for a goalie and not for a d-men, it's crazy.

The kings would take Coots and turn him into a Monster. I keep him for most things shy of Shea Weber (at half salary).

I'd do Couturier for Bernier straight up, but not throw in a first rounder. I might hate on Cooter's skating, but I also see his flashes of talent and trust his history. Bernier I like, but he's still just as unproven and getting older.

@King Knut "I'm the one who keeps saying Bryz isn't as bad as everyone says. The team isn't losing because of him. No Way No How is that the case. BUT Bryz's contract is the real problem. "

If you are right there, then about 50 really solid posters on this site are dead wrong. I just don't get it, do you think Bryz has good rebound control? Do you think he follows the puck well? Do you think he holds up well when the game is on the line? A LOT of the goals he allows are just on him alone.....nothing to do with the defense, he gets beat clean on a shot he can see clearly....do you not see that on a nightly basis? For the life of me, I don't know how you are drawing these outrageous conclusions.

Pretty sure theres only been two goalies taken first overall. The Isles are still trying to develop DiPietro and Fleury is ok but likely should have went 10-15th instead of 1st.

I agree we do need help on defense but another no.1 winger? Are you trying to out score the opponent? Cause that hasn't worked for us the past few years. We need to fix the goalie issue this offseason or next when we can still buy out Bryz. If we are going forward with him in goal, I do not see us winning a Cup, I can just see him giving up the flaky backbreaking goal that MFL gave up to Kane if we do get to the Finals. His cap hit and years remaing will hurt us bad down the road.

I agree we do need help on defense but another no.1 winger? Are you trying to out score the opponent? Cause that hasn't worked for us the past few years. We need to fix the goalie issue this offseason or next when we can still buy out Bryz. If we are going forward with him in goal, I do not see us winning a Cup, I can just see him giving up the flaky backbreaking goal that MFL gave up to Kane if we do get to the Finals. His cap hit and years remaing will hurt us bad down the road.

why are you crying over his contract? it's not your problem, it's snider's money, he's not going to get rid of bryz, if you dont like it then dont root for this team, there are things i dont like but i deal with it, i dont control it, neither are the fans or the media.

Edited by toughfighter83

@King Knut "I'm the one who keeps saying Bryz isn't as bad as everyone says. The team isn't losing because of him. No Way No How is that the case. BUT Bryz's contract is the real problem. "

If you are right there, then about 50 really solid posters on this site are dead wrong. I just don't get it, do you think Bryz has good rebound control? Do you think he follows the puck well? Do you think he holds up well when the game is on the line? A LOT of the goals he allows are just on him alone.....nothing to do with the defense, he gets beat clean on a shot he can see clearly....do you not see that on a nightly basis? For the life of me, I don't know how you are drawing these outrageous conclusions.

The team wasn't losing earlier this season because of Bryz.

It's not "losing because of Bryz" now.

It lost quite a few last year "because of Bryz." But they didn't lose to New Jersey "because of Bryz."

I do think this season he has been focused on the puck and is pretty consistently in the right place to make the stop. "Rebound control" would mean more to me if "clearing the crease and the slot" meant more to the Flyers. That said, no. I don't think he's ridiculously awful at rebounds. No, I don't really care to go on and on about it and no, I'm not watching video clips :)

That said, he doesn't handle breakaways well (at all) and shootouts are important and breakaways happen when your team is marmaladed jammed into the offensive zone; his contract is too long and hamstrings the team in other areas; and he is not a "franchise" goalie if your team doesn't intend to play a lick of defense.

Still, if we were talking about a five year deal with three to go at $5M, I don't think the Flyers would pull that trigger.

Six years? Pulled. Even knowing that neither side ever expected the deal to go the length in the first place.

why are you crying over his contract? it's not your problem, it's snider's money, he's not going to get rid of bryz, if you dont like it then dont root for this team, there are things i dont like but i deal with it, i dont control it, neither are the fans or the media.

Where did you see me crying, I'm stating a fact here. Snider's money? LMFAO, it's us fan's money that are paying for everything. You got that right, I might just not root for them if they continue on like this for the foreseeable future. If you can't come to these forums and have a normal discussion then don't come at all. These forums are for us to vent our frustration over the team in both good and bad ways. Hell why have any forums at all for anything for that matter.

Where did you see me crying, I'm stating a fact here. Snider's money? LMFAO, it's us fan's money that are paying for everything. You got that right, I might just not root for them if they continue on like this for the foreseeable future. If you can't come to these forums and have a normal discussion then don't come at all. These forums are for us to vent our frustration over the team in both good and bad ways. Hell why have any forums at all for anything for that matter.

im not going anywhere