Multiple Outdoor Games Next Season

hf101

Just got two texts that the Rangers are to play both the Islanders and Devils in outdoor games at Yankee Stadium.

Also earlier I saw that the Wild are to host the Blackhawks in the 2015 WC.

During TSN's "Insider Trading" segment Tuesday, Darren Dreger reported that the league will begin a stadium series next season featuring six outdoor games, starting with the Jan. 1, 2014, Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium. The other five match-ups will be:

• Ducks vs. Kings at Dodger Stadium, Jan. 25

• Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan. 26

• Islanders vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan 29

• Penguins at Blackhawks, Soldier Field, March 1

• Senators at Canucks, BC Place, March 2

Contracts are to be finalized, according to ESPN's Katie Strang, but that's just a matter of paperwork.

Yes, the New York Rangers will be in not only one, but two outdoor games in the week leading up to Super Bowl XLVIII, which will be held Feb. 2 at Met Life Stadium in New Jersey.

With all 30 teams clamoring to host or be part of a Winter Classic, creating these other dates on the NHL calendar allows the "Teams Not Regularly Featured on NBC" to get in a game over time. Beyond next season, expect to see places like Minnesota, Colorado and St. Louis play host. Everyone gets involved, the NHL keeps teams happy and keeps growing revenues from an event rakes in so much money.

But will this kill the novelty of what the Winter Classic has provided? Considering every level of hockey has done such an event, with the number of these growing annually since the Penguins and Buffalo Sabres played in the very first Winter Classic in 2008, the novelty might have already worn off.

source

So much for it being something "special".

I was thinking that at first but seeing as how the Winter Classic will be a "kickoff" to the outdoor games I don't think it will take away from it "too" much. Having it on New Year's Day helps, too. Six might be too many but 2-3 more in addition to the Winter Classic seems OK.

Curious to see how the game in LA plays out. The average high in LA in January is 68.6F. Average low is 49.7F. Colder at night...but you can't play at night in LA unless you want 3/4 of the US and Canadian populations sound asleep when the puck drops.

@B21

Wonder if they could make the ice out of a different type of "snow" in LA...like the kind the movie industry uses (and I don't mean in their winter scenes)

That would require a special "zamboni".

• Ducks vs. Kings at Dodger Stadium, Jan. 25"

How exactly is this going to work????

I like the idea though.

The NHL played their first official outdoor game (preseason) in Las Vegas in September 1991. The temp went from 85 up to 95 degrees during the game. Average temp in LA in January is between 50 & 65 degrees. It'll work as long as it doesn't get too warm.

http://en.wikipedia....me_in_Las_Vegas

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan