That's the series

Guest trevluk

@pensuck

I posted it because it was already a topic of conversation in the chatter box. If you were there you'd know that. It's ok though, we're quite used to your not knowing anything.

@canoli

Total BS. Flyers fans would've been sending anthrax to the officials by now, yourself included. How many blame the officiating threads have there been in the Flyers forum? In this case the officials did like @nossagog said... Refused to decide the outcome of the game by calling it as it is written. You guys just hate the Pens and particularly Crosby so much you refuse to see it any other way. Facts are facts. Penalty. Power play. Goal. Win.

• Like 1

That plus the old, just let em play argument just kill me. People don't want to see that called in OT, saying its the Refs deciding the games, but if you don't call penalties like that, the the Ref's are deciding the game by letting that stuff go. Hey let's just let em play, and just tackle any one when the get near the goal.

Could not agree more.

Did you happen to see any Flyers?

I think I was playing behind Bryz in the morning, the group was playing pretty slow, and I unfortunately hit one long right at him. But don't worry, I didn't hit him, it went right between his legs. :D

Edited by nossagog
  • Like 1

That's some funny stuff, how many times did they hit Crosby, Malkin and Letang today, Answer, everytime they could. Its ok, that's what their supposed to do, hit em, get em off their games, finish their checks. No one complained. One causes a penalty, and we listen to, 'OHHHH, you can 't hit Cindy, waaaaaaaah'. Really?

It's called "Selective Memory". Also known as "Rooting for the Flyers". ;)

If that's a dive then Crosby has taken diving to new heights. He managed to figure out a way to fall down backwards to get the call while still directing the puck towards the net with one hand on his stick.

It's insanely clear that Strait hauled him down. He had a hand on each shoulder. He was beat and did the only thing he could. Now, if that's somewhere else on the ice that call should not be made in OT. But if Strait doesn't pull him down Crosby has the option for a close range (albeit bad angle) shot or - if Nabakov or the D commit to him - a chance to pass to the open man parked in front.

You HAVE to make that call.

If you are the Isles, kill the penalty.

I mean seriously - what's next? Trip a guy on a break away because "hey - you just don't make that call in OT"???

I never said Crosby dove, I basically said he went down really easy. (That's what Bettman says! :lol: ) I've watched the replay a few more times now and I still think it is a soft call (and by the way I called it weak when I saw it, not after JR and Milbury called it.) but by the rules it is a penalty.

Edited by trevluk

I never said Crosby dove, I basically said he went down really easy. (That's what Bettman says! :lol: ) I've watched the replay a few more times now and I still think it is a soft call (and by the way I called it weak when I saw it, not after JR and Milbury called it.) but by the rules it is a penalty.

I there really a difference between diving and "going down easy"? Diving vs. Embellishing maybe? I haven't seen much differentiating between the two here over the years.

He has his man beat and has a clear path to the net. Let's say 50/50 chance that results in a goal? So he's going to try and draw a penalty to get the PP which has a 20% chance in leading to a goal?

Sorry but that's not a dive, going down easy, etc, etc.

Refused to decide the outcome of the game by calling it as it is written.

Holycrap that's straight-up delusion my friend...I mean they called a borderline penalty in OT for chrissakes, how much more influential do you need them to be?

And I tell you what if Giroux's skates went out from under him like that I'd want him checked out physically, because obviously he's injured if he's falling down from hand-checks.

[edit: OTOH just so you know I'm not delusional... I realize they make that call most of the time - but don't kid yourselves it was the right call. Just cuz the NHL has sunk to this level doesn't mean we have to endorse it. The POs are supposed to be the best of the best, officiating included. Instead we get an "iffy" maybe-maybe not call in overtime. That sucks.

I admit I went overboard with the "don't breathe on Crosby" comment. The game was good, hard-fought, fair, etc. I enjoyed the hell out of it...UNTIL the goddamn OT. In the end though it's up to the Isles to kill it off and they didn't. Obviously you guys are the better team...I just hate seeing it handed to you that's all, cuz in a way it was.]

Edited by canoli

You guys just hate the Pens and particularly Crosby so much you refuse to see it any other way.

At the risk of starting a war, which is not my intent--many here could say the same thing regarding Pens fans views of the Flyers. I have read that the Flyers over value Giroux, Laughton, Timonen and Courtier on this site from Pens fans-with very little credit/acknowledgement given to any of those players for accomplishments/potential/or "expert" opinions about them. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I'm pretty sure Penguins fans view their team a bit differently, and the same goes for how Flyers fans view their team. None of which is a bad thing, by the way.

Carry on.. :)

At the risk of starting a war, which is not my intent--many here could say the same thing regarding Pens fans views of the Flyers. I have read that the Flyers over value Giroux, Laughton, Timonen and Courtier on this site from Pens fans-with very little credit/acknowledgement given to any of those players for accomplishments/potential/or "expert" opinions about them. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I'm pretty sure Penguins fans view their team a bit differently, and the same goes for how Flyers fans view their team. None of which is a bad thing, by the way.

Carry on.. :)

WAR! (Joke!)

Not sure about the other Pens fans but I'm guilty of some of that (Laughton and Couturier specifically) but base a lot of my own comments on what I see posted by the more educated Flyers fans here. Plus, a blind donkey could see Courturie significantly regressed this year. I'll give him a pass due to age, sophmore slump, etc...but before the season started he was guaranteed to keep pro-gressing with no chance of re-gressing. That's called over-valuing. ;)

Like Timonen. Not at $6,000,000. That seems to be the majority opinion across the board though.

Carry on.

He has his man beat and has a clear path to the net. Let's say 50/50 chance that results in a goal?

Sure because at zero angle with 2 other defenders in play (as well as a Pen clogging up the crease) and a goalie in position, Crosby scores 1 out of every 2 times. C'mon man, that is absurd. You just lost a lot of cred with me if your "Syd colored glasses" are that strongly tinted. I'm not even sure his career shootout percetnage is over 50% when it's just one on one with the goalie from straight on, but you think he scores 50% of the time from the side of the net with other players in the crease?? Were you drunk when you typed that? Maybe you need to watch the replay again and tell me he had a 50% chance of scoring on that play.

Holycrap that's straight-up delusion my friend...I mean they called a borderline penalty in OT for chrissakes, how much more influential do you need them to be?

And I tell you what if Giroux's skates went out from under him like that I'd want him checked out physically, because obviously he's injured if he's falling down from hand-checks.

[edit: OTOH just so you know I'm not delusional... I realize they make that call most of the time - but don't kid yourselves it was the right call. Just cuz the NHL has sunk to this level doesn't mean we have to endorse it. The POs are supposed to be the best of the best, officiating included. Instead we get an "iffy" maybe-maybe not call in overtime. That sucks.

I admit I went overboard with the "don't breathe on Crosby" comment. The game was good, hard-fought, fair, etc. I enjoyed the hell out of it...UNTIL the goddamn OT. In the end though it's up to the Isles to kill it off and they didn't. Obviously you guys are the better team...I just hate seeing it handed to you that's all, cuz in a way it was.]

Just sayin'.....

These work both ways.

Isles up 2-0 early in the 1st. Shortly after the 2nd goal Glass tangles with an Islander and only he gets the 'Roughing' call? Could have been a game changer except we killed the penalty.

If that's anyone other than Crosby who gets hauled down (and he was) this isn't even an issue.

The rationale that he would dive/"go down easy" after he had his man beat and with nothing but ice between him and Nabakov is absurd beyond comprehension.

Sure because at zero angle with 2 other defenders in play (as well as a Pen clogging up the crease) and a goalie in position, Crosby scores 1 out of every 2 times. C'mon man, that is absurd. You just lost a lot of cred with me if your "Syd colored glasses" are that strongly tinted. I'm not even sure his career shootout percetnage is over 50% when it's just one on one with the goalie from straight on, but you think he scores 50% of the time from the side of the net with other players in the crease?? Were you drunk when you typed that? Maybe you need to watch the replay again and tell me he had a 50% chance of scoring on that play.

Fine - give me a % then.

How many times in that situation have you seen him lift one over the goalie or both defenders commit to him and he threads a pass to the open teammate.

Answer? Lots. Certainly enough where I can say taking the dive there to get the PP doesn't better the odds of getting a goal somehow.

If there wasn't complaining every...single...time...he's taken down then there would be a lot more credibility on your own fans' end.

But every single time he's taken down "he dove". And or course, if the PP leads to a GW goal then it was "obvious" he dove.

Just forget the percentages, it doesn't matter. Could have even been along the boards with 0% chance of scoring. Defender is beat, takes hand off stick, grabs onto opposing player with free hand. Its been the focus of enforcement since the rule was put it back almost 8 years now. Do they always call it, no. The fact that they DID call it this time as opposed to others that they did not doesn't matter, its still a penalty.

Iginla was called for tripping midway through the third behind his offensive net, wasn't giving or taking away a scoring chance, but a penalty was called. Wow key point there in a game that that the Isles just tied past midway of the third. How dare the ref's step in and possibly affect the game then, right?????? No one complained, problem was the Isle's didn't score. If they had would we be complain that the Ref's had to step in to affect the outcome of the game? No because its STILL a penalty to trip a player with your stick, just as it is to grab onto a player with your free hand.

Just forget the percentages, it doesn't matter. Could have even been along the boards with 0% chance of scoring. Defender is beat, takes hand off stick, grabs onto opposing player with free hand. Its been the focus of enforcement since the rule was put it back almost 8 years now. Do they always call it, no. The fact that they DID call it this time as opposed to others that they did not doesn't matter, its still a penalty.

Iginla was called for tripping midway through the third behind his offensive net, wasn't giving or taking away a scoring chance, but a penalty was called. Wow key point there in a game that that the Isles just tied past midway of the third. How dare the ref's step in and possibly affect the game then, right?????? No one complained, problem was the Isle's didn't score. If they had would we be complain that the Ref's had to step in to affect the outcome of the game? No because its STILL a penalty to trip a player with your stick, just as it is to grab onto a player with your free hand.

Forgot about that trip. Good call (yours).

All of a suddent this notion that the refs should bury the whistle in OT applies to all penalties now that a legitimate call benefitted the Pens. I've understood that to mean that you can obstruct a little more, hit a little later or get away with a subtle hook that might be called in regulation. But a take down on a player who just beat his man the way Crosby beat Strait and who did it that close to the net oppositions' net....that's to be let go? Gimme a break.

The fact that they DID call it this time as opposed to others that they did not doesn't matter, its still a penalty.

I already acknowledged after looking at the replays that it was a penalty. I just think it was a soft call and Syd went down a lot easier than one of the strongest skaters in the league should.

• Like 1

I already acknowledged after looking at the replays that it was a penalty. I just think it was a soft call and Syd went down a lot easier than one of the strongest skaters in the league should.

His knees were just weak due to all the liquid foods from the broken jaw :D . That's my story and I'm stickin to it, until someone proves me wrong.

His knees were just weak due to all the liquid foods from the broken jaw :D . That's my story and I'm stickin to it, until someone proves me wrong.

Or because he had just locked eyes with Bettman in the stands! :P

oh good god 21 now you're actually using "hauled down" to describe it....between that and claiming crosby had a 50% shot at scoring...I think you lost whatever mind you had before that game - lol.

"HAULED DOWN" - wow. And I think you're actually serious too aren't you? LOL - how warped Pens' fans have become over the years since Sid joined your ranks... to use "Hauled Down" to describe that phony baloney wipe out and actually believe it - Whew! I suppose I can't blame you all too much...if Bettyman's boys had been telling the world how awesome and super-duper oh-so-special my fav team was for 8 years straight I'd probably be a little blind and defensive by now too! lol.

Well thanks for the laugh B - I appreciate it.

• Like 1

oh good god 21 now you're actually using "hauled down" to describe it....between that and claiming crosby had a 50% shot at scoring...I think you lost whatever mind you had before that game - lol.

"HAULED DOWN" - wow. And I think you're actually serious too aren't you? LOL - how warped Pens' fans have become over the years since Sid joined your ranks... to use "Hauled Down" to describe that phony baloney wipe out and actually believe it - Whew! I suppose I can't blame you all too much...if Bettyman's boys had been telling the world how awesome and super-duper oh-so-special my fav team was for 8 years straight I'd probably be a little blind and defensive by now too! lol.

He was clearly pulled down. That you don't see it that way means your hatred for Crosby and the Pens has jaded your view. I don't know how anyone watching the video can't see two hands on his shoulder pulling him back and down. So the argument has to be that Strait was just resting his hands there? Pushing him to open the gap between the two? Oh I know! Shoving him closer to Nabakov to cut down his shooting angle. I think it's clear from the separation of the puck from Crosby's stick.. Physics being physics and all.. That Crosby was slowed down. That's a polite way of saying "impeded"... Which happens to be in the rule called "holding"... Which also happens to be what the call was.

Edited by Polaris922

It wasn't a penalty until he fell down on his own. Should've been 2 for embellishing on top of it. Especially at that point of the game. It was a joke and everyone that's not a pens fan knows it. Next...

• Like 1

Hauled down. Taken down. Pulled down. Whatever. Not a dive. But since your only argument is the semantics of my choice of words, I'll assume you agree that it was the correct call. Combine that with noted Pens haters Milbury and JR with another pointless rant and I'll feel real good about the argument that there was no diving or embellishing or "going down easy".

Thanks for the laugh. ;)

It wasn't a penalty when he was taken until he fell down by Strait on his own. Should've been 2 for embellishing on top of it. Especially even at that point of the game. It was the correct call a joke and everyone who is a flyers fan that's not a pens fan knows it. Next...

Fixed. ;)

Fore!

• Like 1