What a difference

Guest trevluk

That was a whole different team in front of Vokoun tonight. Impressive win. Series over. There is no way the Pens lose 2 in a row, especially not a game 7 on home ice. I doubt it comes to that though as I would bet big on the Pens closing it out in 6.

Next question would be, if Vokoun plays well, does Fleury even get a sniff at another start in these playoffs? Do you think Vokoun can carry this team to a miniature Cup? (My new take on this bullsh*t season is that whoever wins should get a mini cup. If they are only gonna play half a season, they should only win half a Cup!)

Some of the change also in Pittsburgh's favor was playing without the the Islanders top defender McDonald. I think the Islanders are going to have a tough time winning game 6.

I'll go back to something I said in one of the other threads, its the little things. They did a much better job of clearing the zone tonight with pucks high off the glass and Murphy dumps instead of shooting low along the boards and up the middle. They did a much better job of getting the puck deep in the Isles zone, and setting up the cycle. That one minute cycle by Malkins line midway through the third was a prime example. DON'T SKATE THROUGH THE TRAP.

Even Malkin did a much better job of puck control. Its those little things that made the difference.

As to the original question, I see Vokoun as now being the starting goalie, and its his job to lose. Sorry, past performance may not gaurentee future results in the financial industry, but we've seen this story with Fleury in the past. Vokoun may not have looked totally in control last night,couple of times he had problems controlling the puck, but positionally he was always in the right spot. Again, its the little things that are going to make a difference here.

Some of the change also in Pittsburgh's favor was playing without the the Islanders top defender McDonald. I think the Islanders are going to have a tough time winning game 6.

they were missing Frans Nielsen but McDonald was in the game...unless i was hallucinating, which is always possible lol!

Anyway - yeah, big difference from G4. Good strong effort from the Pens. Biggest difference of all imo? They took care of the puck. That was it. They didn't get pushed around and managed the puck really well in all 3 zone.

they were missing Frans Nielsen but McDonald was in the game...unless i was hallucinating, which is always possible lol!

Anyway - yeah, big difference from G4. Good strong effort from the Pens. Biggest difference of all imo? They took care of the puck. That was it. They didn't get pushed around and managed the puck really well in all 3 zone.

Nielsen was in.. He was on the ice for at least two goals against. According to the box scores and an Islanders report. Carkner was the defenseman scratched. But Andrew McDonald did NOT play. Did that matter? I dunno... it seemed after the first five minutes of the second period the ice was pretty tilted.

But Andrew McDonald did NOT play. Did that matter? I dunno... it seemed after the first five minutes of the second period the ice was pretty tilted.

McDonald has been a leader with his play, he's one of their top guys, i'm sure his absence was felt and had he been able to dress would have contributed. contrary to popular belief when your good players get hurt it affects the team. i'm sure it mattered.

McDonald has been a leader with his play, he's one of their top guys, i'm sure his absence was felt and had he been able to dress would have contributed. contrary to popular belief when your good players get hurt it affects the team. i'm sure it mattered.

They put Strait in to fill McDonald's spot, but since the Pens had home ice, Strait wasn't on the ice for three of the goals, so McDonald wouldn't have been either. I was reading articles and stats sheets and didn't explain myself on that one. LOL

Nielsen left the game sometime in the 3rd, early I think, and didn't return but supposedly will play tonight. But yeah, Andrew McDonald was out with a broken wrist I guess, suffered after blocking a shot in G4.