Mil bury tears into officials

Guest Polaris922

He ripped them for the hooking call they blew that resulted in the game winner against us in game 3... The bad call on Lucic for bumping Murray on an icing when he clearly hasn't touched the puck, and then not calling interference for Paille knocking Crosby down away from the puck during the power play... Milbury started with those then showed several others through the playoffs.

Regardless of the impact on my own team... It hurts to agree with Milbury. Officiating has been horrible.

• Like 2

The officials are letting anything go in this game too. Tripping, hooking, interference... It's both ways I suppose, but its slowed Crosby & Co. ala Devils hockey. Unfortunately for us it just turned over the puck and resulted in a goal for McQuaid... Doesn't matter. We have to score to win so 1 goal doesn't matter.

14 minutes...

Edited by Polaris922

Doesn't matter, what ever the officiating, you still have to find a way to put the puck in the net. The B's did, no matter if its lucky and deflects of a defenseman, that's why you put the puck on net.

Doesn't matter, what ever the officiating, you still have to find a way to put the puck in the net. The B's did, no matter if its lucky and deflects of a defenseman, that's why you put the puck on net.

Agreed... What a disappointment.

The officiating has been absolutely horrendous across the boards for all the teams still playing.. It is baffling to watch some of the calls they actually made versus the ones they let go. It looks especially bad when players start embellishing to try and get them to make calls they are not making. For as bad as the officiating was, it still did not lose the game for Pittsburgh. Their inability to get anything in on Rask was absolutely mystifying. Other than the 6-1 aberration, Vokoun was not to blame either. The talent is/was there in Pittsburgh ( I am sure that a few of the rentals will be leaving). This falls squarely on the coach for his inability to adjust to Boston's stifling defensive presence. I would say after that series performance that Bylsma is going to be job shopping too........

It is baffling to watch some of the calls they actually made versus the ones they let go.

It's unbelievable sometimes. I try to tell myself they're professionals doing a hard job, that they get it right 90% of the time. The problem is, although that's true...90% isn't good enough, especially when you get into high-stakes territory like the POs. Think about how much money is on the line. I don't know the answer other than to allow for some review process during the games, maybe a challenge system like in pro football. Something needs to change, there has to be more accounatability for the officials.

It looks especially bad when players start embellishing to try and get them to make calls they are not making.

And can you blame them? The NHL has "told" the players in so many words that they'll be rewarded when they embellish a hook, a hold, or any big hit. Practically every big hit somebody's going to the box. It's just dumb.

IMO in the POs there should be a higher standard for penalties - if we're sticking with this "zero tolerance" crap for hooks and holds, etc during the reg season. In the POs tiny little hooks, 1-second "holds" - that stuff should be let go. Last night they were letting it go, the officiating was good for the most part until the very end (!) when Letang makes a routine hip check, the Bs puck-carrier wipes out and Letang is called for tripping. In the final few minutes of a 1-goal PO game. That's just absurd, to make a late call like that on something so lame. And of course the makeup call a minute later against Boston. Just dumb.

Would it have changed the outcome if they didn't call Letang, and then have to call the makeup penalty? Probably not. But we'll never know. And what about G1? Who knows, maybe if Marchand is ejected for his hit on Neal - given the same treatment that Cooke was for boarding in other words - the Pens find a way to win G1. We'll never know.

[edit: Of course the officials didn't lose the series for Pittsburgh. They didn't "hand it to Boston." Hardly. All I'm saying is while it may not have been the worst we've seen from NHL officials it was still pretty awful at times, and "pretty awful" should not be acceptable in a professional sport, ever.]

Edited by canoli

My rule of thumb for blaming officials for a playoff series loss...

4-0. Head needs examined...

4-1. You are a closet Flyers fan...

4-2. Meh. Still coulda made a play somewhere along the line to keep it from coming to that bad call...

4-3. Only if it is an obvious goal waived off/credited in OT. In Game 7.