THN: Flyers trade too much

Guest brelic

Nothing we don't already know, but when the media outside of Philly writes this kind of story, maybe - just maybe - some in the organization will go "hmmmmm."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52298-Frequent-Flyers-trade-activity-hurts-more-than-helps.html

As the Stanley Cup playoffs near their completion, the NHL trade market is, as predicted, beginning to heat up. First, the Dallas Stars and new GM Jim Nill made a quick move for a veteran defenseman in a deal for Sergei Gonchar; and Wednesday afternoon, the Philadelphia Flyers got in on the action by acquiring blueliner Mark Streit (or at least, the negotiating rights for the soon-to-be unrestricted free agent).

Of course, the Flyers get in on the action every summer. Asking the Flyers to not get in on the action is like asking 95 percent of all hockey cards not to depreciate in value. It’s in their DNA. It’s what they do.

Unfortunately, evidence suggesting constant roster turnover isn’t the ideal way to construct a Stanley Cup-winning product continues to mount. But it looks as if we’re in for another summer of significant renovations in Flyers land. Given their more recent history of deals, that should be terribly unnerving news for their fans.

Don’t get me wrong – I’d take 30 owners like Flyers czar Ed Snider and his intense desire to win over some miserly financial bottom-line owner any day of the week. Some of the impetus for the addition of Streit (and likely another NHL blueliner such as pending UFA Ron Hainsey in the weeks to come) is justifiable; once Philadelphia lost star d-man Chris Pronger to the scourge of concussions, it set in motion a massive house-of-cards collapse on the back end (one exacerbated by the departure of Matt Carle).

However, as more than a few veteran NHL observers (most notably, former Flyers nemesis Bobby Holik) have said more than once, the consistent inconsistency of whom that franchise chooses to build around has a negative effect on the process. It’s tough to argue against that line of thought, particularly when you examine Philly’s success-to-failure ratio on the trade front in the past two off-seasons.

In the summer of 2011, the Flyers shipped out captain Mike Richards and sniper Jeff Carter in separate trades that tore down what they claimed was their foundation for the future. Last summer, GM Paul Holmgren continued to make waves, shipping out one-time starting goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to Columbus for three draft picks (none of which were first round picks). As we all know, Richards and Carter were quickly reunited in Los Angeles and won a Stanley Cup together last spring, while Bobrovsky rebounded spectacularly this year and is the frontrunner to win the Vezina Trophy as the league’s top netminder.

If this were the popular Game of Thrones TV show, Holmgren would have had his trade trigger finger hacked off based on those moves alone. But in Philadelphia, where if you’re not trading, you’re not trying, that’s simply par for the course.

Now put yourself in the shoes/skates of a Claude Giroux, Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier. Having seen what went on with former Flyers, how confident would you be in terms of your long-term security with Snider and Holmgren? If I were them, not only would I hesitate to buy a house – I’d also only lease a car on a month-to-month basis.

Yes, the Flyers’ collective hunger for a Cup makes for great optics on a number of levels. In the media world – where new stories and new faces are the lifeblood of the business – Philly’s rotating cast of characters has the veneer of urgency most fans want to see from their team. But after years of trying and failing with their carpe-diem philosophy, Flyers management might want to try letting someone else carpe the diem for a summer or two. Patience and a long-view of their current crop of youngsters just might pay off.

Sadly, I’ve got a hunch that won’t happen and the revolving door in Philadelphia will continue to spin. Snider turned 80 this year and the motivation of mortality has a funny way of keeping the pressure to win ratcheted to its upper limits.

A shame, then, that his legacy with the Flyers is more about Roster Restless Leg Syndrome than collecting championships.

• Like 1

I like the idea of patience and developing young talent, however it seems we have no young defensemen talent so I wouldn't mind seeing a commitment to bringing in young D and G talent if that costs moving some young forward talent. We need to balance this team out a little.

• Like 2

Although it probably would be good to have Richards and Carter's Cap hits I'm glad they aren't on the team. People quickly forget how often there were threads about wanting to remove Carter. Richie had to be traded if they were trading Carter. Richards had already pouted about his buddies Upshall and Lupul being removed from the team.

Holmgren truly miscalculated the goalie situation. I do think he will correct that mistake this summer. Mason is prime for righting his game on a new team.

Philly's hunger for the cup has also provided fans with consistent playoff appearances. There is something to be said for that. In the age of the cap, yeah it benefits young talented players sticking together at a low cap hit. But that also means those teams sucked for a long time gaining top picks of the draft. I think as long as we routinely keep our first three picks Holmgren can do a bit of both trades and building up from within.

.... if he can't, we will likely have a new GM.

Edited by hf101
Corrected - Lupul
  • Like 2

Nothing we don't already know, but when the media outside of Philly writes this kind of story, maybe - just maybe - some in the organization will go "hmmmmm."

http://www.thehockey...than-helps.html

When you continually draft poor with defense and goal you leave yourself only 1 option, Trades! Sure you can sign Free Agents but when you sign them to big money deals, your still having to trade a roster player to fit them in. The Richards and Carter deal too me were an exception because ownership grew tired of the immature, party nature of both guy's, maybe i'm wrong.

• Like 2

I really like the idea of making a move for Bernier and letting he and Mason battle it out. I hate losing Matt Read, but if that is the cost for a blue chip Goalie that can come in and start and potentially solve the Goalie problems then so be it. You have to give to get.

When you continually draft poor with defense and goal you leave yourself only 1 option, Trades! Sure you can sign Free Agents but when you sign them to big money deals, your still having to trade a roster player to fit them in. The Richards and Carter deal too me were an exception because ownership grew tired of the immature, party nature of both guy's, maybe i'm wrong.

But that's the thing... the NHL is full of out of control party boys. I'm sure there are some on every team. They're not always the best players, and it's probably dealt with behind closed doors.

Look at Patrick Kane. Very public partying. And the Hawks hinted last summer that he needed to seek help. But they didn't trade him away, even if he refuses help and continues his partying ways. Some even think he was drunk for a Stanley Cup public appearance.

So, I'm not saying I would reverse the trades now... but clearly, the Flyers seem to be more impatient and a little trigger happy when it comes to making moves.

you are right about that but i think it has alot to do with players do that as well, the problem was after stevens was fired and that's when the ball dropped with richards and carter, they didnt play right, they went to la and played good because they loved stevens.

this is the main problem with this team who do they want to play for? even if lav gets fired? this team always has issues with every coach that comes here.

@brelic

Look at Patrick Kane. Very public partying. And the Hawks hinted last summer that he needed to seek help. But they didn't trade him away, even if he refuses help and continues his partying ways. Some even think he was drunk for a Stanley Cup public appearance.

But that is the thing though I think Kane has improved upon his behavior, I'm not sure about the Cup appearance you are talking about but during the lockout he took his mother to live with in Europe. I think Richards and Carter were given time to improve.....they just showed they didn't want to conform.

• Like 3

@brelic

But that is the thing though I think Kane has improved upon his behavior, I'm not sure about the Cup appearance you are talking about but during the lockout he took his mother to live with in Europe. I think Richards and Carter were given time to improve.....they just showed they didn't want to conform.

They clearly did in LA. And maybe the move woke them up a little... but there's a difference between 'conform' and get things under 'control'. If the part about charity work is true, then the org was trying to force them to conform to something they were not. Is that such a big deal? And if it is, didn't they know that before making a lifetime commitment, naming one of them captain and the other alternate?

Again, just another in a long line of moves that make you wonder if the people running the ship have the full use of their faculties.

you are right about that but i think it has alot to do with players do that as well, the problem was after stevens was fired and that's when the ball dropped with richards and carter, they didnt play right, they went to la and played good because they loved stevens.

this is the main problem with this team who do they want to play for? even if lav gets fired? this team always has issues with every coach that comes here.

Yeah.. They were terrible.. Leading us to the Stanley Cup finals and all... Terrible... Just terrible...

My cats breath smells like cat food...

the problem was after stevens was fired and that's when the ball dropped with richards and carter, they didn(')t play right

I agree with this, Richards was distraught about this move, it did affect him[the whole team was despondent(I said, "idiots, what did you expect if you guys act like loose stool in your motions)and in shock], but he knew he still had his team to play for and the organization.

they went to la(L.A.) and played good because they loved stevens.

This I don't agree to the extent that their play was more of a wakeup call that they are mortal, and their life can be affected by their actions.(Though your qualifying rebuttal might be accurate, your direction towards the conclusion is in want.)

How the H. E. double hockey stick my quotes get PLAGIARIZE. this was from you toughfighter Championship edition. Not the cravester.

LegionOfDoom agrees with this.

I think the reason this happened was through osmosis.

Edited by LegionOfDoom