Letang's Future

Guest Polaris922

Here is the video of Letang's "Getaway Day" interview after the loss to the Bruins. . .

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=829&id=258471〈=en&navid=DL|PIT|home

Letang says a lot of the right things... how he believes from talking to others that the Pens are the best organization to play for, that he wants to be here, etc etc... I find it interesting that when the media asks if he'd be willing to take a little less than market value to stay here, he balks. He says that's not his decision and he hasn't had time to think about what he would do or blah blah blah...

I also find it interesting that Shero is talking to Dupuis before Letang. Reading numerous articles on the topic, it appears the Pens have $6 million cap space set aside for Letang... and they're talking like they'll trade him in a heartbeat if that's not good enough for him. Is it posturing? I dunno... Shero has been pretty quick on the draw (i.e. Staal) when things don't go the way he says they have to go.

• Like 1

Here is the video of Letang's "Getaway Day" interview after the loss to the Bruins. . .

http://video.penguin...vid=DL|PIT|home

Letang says a lot of the right things... how he believes from talking to others that the Pens are the best organization to play for, that he wants to be here, etc etc... I find it interesting that when the media asks if he'd be willing to take a little less than market value to stay here, he balks. He says that's not his decision and he hasn't had time to think about what he would do or blah blah blah...

I also find it interesting that Shero is talking to Dupuis before Letang. Reading numerous articles on the topic, it appears the Pens have $6 million cap space set aside for Letang... and they're talking like they'll trade him in a heartbeat if that's not good enough for him. Is it posturing? I dunno... Shero has been pretty quick on the draw (i.e. Staal) when things don't go the way he says they have to go.

Great minds. The draft is June 30th. I think we'll have our answer by then. I'm still 1,000% certain he gets traded.

• Like 1

Interesting article from Rob Rossi about Letang. Both he and Dejan Kovacevic have essentially said that Letang should be traded. Rossi points out that Shero has become a GM who is noted for his decisive actions...ala the Staal trade and the moves at the deadline this past season. If in fact Shero had offered or figured to offer Letang 6M per...and word is Letang wants 7M and a no trade...then it's possible Ray has already made up his mind to move him. Could it happen at the GM meetings before FA? Letang is still under contract...but trading him and freeing up some money that was targeted for him could help Shero sign a couple of his existing FAs (Like maybe Dupuis and Cooke) and would put him in a position to potentially acquire other players during the FA period. I don't always agree with Rossi's reasoning...but this time he's got some pretty valid arguments http://triblive.com/...s#axzz2Wf9RZBAl

Interesting article from Rob Rossi about Letang. Both he and Dejan Kovacevic have essentially said that Letang should be traded. Rossi points out that Shero has become a GM who is noted for his decisive actions...ala the Staal trade and the moves at the deadline this past season. If in fact Shero had offered or figured to offer Letang 6M per...and word is Letang wants 7M and a no trade...then it's possible Ray has already made up his mind to move him. Could it happen at the GM meetings before FA? Letang is still under contract...but trading him and freeing up some money that was targeted for him could help Shero sign a couple of his existing FAs (Like maybe Dupuis and Cooke) and would put him in a position to potentially acquire other players during the FA period. I don't always agree with Rossi's reasoning...but this time he's got some pretty valid arguments http://triblive.com/...s#axzz2Wf9RZBAl

Good article...thanks for the link! I need to get into the habit of reading the Trib and not the PG. Rossi is usually pretty good and I think he's on the mark here.

Even if Letang agrees to 'only' $6,000,000 per year (using that as the cap hit as well) that puts the Pens at $40,100,000 (ish) for the 2014-15 season with only 7 players under contract: Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Martin, Fleury, Bennett...and Letang. That's certainly a nice corps but it leaves very little wiggle room for the rest of the roster. Add Dupuis to the mix and it's 8 players totaling somewhere in the neighborhood of $44,000,000.

Will need to decide on Orpik, Kunitz, Niskanen and Sutter among others.

If there is one GM I would trust under these circumstances it would be Shero but still...

Shero has said there will be no "no trade clause" for anyone but Malkin and Crosby. It's how he's handled business from day one. Really we need to get through one year of a low cap then it's right back to $70+ million. I'm sure Shero knows what he's doing so I'm not worried about it.

@Polaris922

If I'm a player and a reporter asks me if I'd take less money to stay, I'd ask him if he'd work for his company for less money. It's none of his business, really.

Not everyone feels that way though. I'm not reading anything into it, I just found the conversation interesting. Morrow said he's not concerned about money just wants a Cup, and Iginla says something similar, but different stages if career.

Not everyone feels that way though. I'm not reading anything into it, I just found the conversation interesting. Morrow said he's not concerned about money just wants a Cup, and Iginla says something similar, but different stages if career.

It's one thing to come out and say it's not about the money, I want a cup (especially at the tail end of a long big dollar contract). It's different when someone sticks a microphone in your face and asks you in front of your fans if you'll take less money because a bunch of your teammates did. It's bs.

It's one thing to come out and say it's not about the money, I want a cup (especially at the tail end of a long big dollar contract). It's different when someone sticks a microphone in your face and asks you in front of your fans if you'll take less money because a bunch of your teammates did. It's bs.

I don't think so. Since when did the media NOT want to put someone on the spot? I found his answer interesting saying it's not in his hands. I thought it caught him completely off guard. I'd expect a "We'll have to see how things go when we discuss it" or something like that. He basically said it wasn't his call. Struck me as odd.

Now having said that, the Pens met with Letang's agent this morning. Reportedly no numbers were discussed... but they agreed to talk again soon. If no numbers were discussed... what the hell were they meeting for?? For Shero to tell him they don't DO no trade clauses? I don't think you need a face to face to say that. I'm just wondering if something isn't already in the works. . . trade wise that is.

Edited by Polaris922

Pens' Shero talks with Letang's agent

by Rob Rossi

Penguins general manager Ray Shero met with the agent for defenseman Kris Letang on Wednesday morning.

Kent Hughes, Letang's agent, called the meeting “general.”

No numbers were exchanged, but Hughes said more meetings were likely.

Shero is in Boston for NHL general managers meetings. He was not immediately available for comment.

He asked Hughes whether Letang wanted to continue playing with the Penguins. Upon hearing from Hughes that was the case, Shero said he would work on a proposal.

Letang, 26, is set to enter the final year of his contract. He can agree to a max-level eight year extension under terms of the NHL labor contract with its Players' Association.

He currently counts $3.5 million against the salary cap.

The Penguins know Letang is due a raise, but he is expected to command at least double his current cap hit.

Letang was a first-time Norris Trophy (top defenseman) finalist this part season, when he was the only player at his position to average a point per game.

The Penguins have not ruled out trading Letang, though Shero has said “we'd like to keep him.”

Edited by Polaris922

Just asking, there are 8 players on the Pens with some sort of NTC/NMC, didn't Shero give most/all of them out? Or is this a new edict moving forward?

He has given "limited" clauses to players but there's no details. Anyone besides Crosby and Malkin with a full NTC or NMC clause came here with one already in effect.

He has given "limited" clauses to players but there's no details. Anyone besides Crosby and Malkin with a full NTC or NMC clause came here with one already in effect.

Not sure there Polaris, I don't think any of the team has any form of NTC from another team. Any full or modified trade clause on the Pens has been signed here, none are from other teams. But there are a lot of odd ones, I think Malkins NMC is only for next year. And Neals is a reverse limited, he can name 8 teams NOT to go to.

Not sure there Polaris, I don't think any of the team has any form of NTC from another team. Any full or modified trade clause on the Pens has been signed here, none are from other teams. But there are a lot of odd ones, I think Malkins NMC is only for next year. And Neals is a reverse limited, he can name 8 teams NOT to go to.

Morrow and Iginla are the only players with full clauses besides Crosby and Malkin. They came with them and from what I read the clauses are binding for the duration of the traded contract. Granted they both expired now but the Pens would have had to honor them it appears.

Discussed this a bit with a friend this morning. I think Letang will get a sizable extension... the more I think about it. The cap has come down for the next season, sure, but most experts seem to agree it will go back up over the $70 million mark the following season since the league recovered from the lockout so quickly. My understanding listening to the talk is that the lower cap was because the teams weren't sure how the lockout would affect profitability. SO... if the cap goes back up the following year... and whatever Letang signs at has no impact on the year coming up... I am thinking they'll at least offer him in the $6 million range. Will that be enough? I dunno... but it gives me more hope than I had previously. I really do think that for all his faults on defense, he is one of the more important cogs of the machine...

• Like 1

Geez, if *any* franchise can cope with the loss of Letang, it's the Pens. There might be a dramatic drop off as far as pts from d-men, pp etc, but over a short period of time, their vast array of d prospects will close the gap quickly. Plus, addition by subraction.....his replacement will be as good or better in their own zone.

This is the nature of the beast in having a team loaded with stars, eventually.....you have to part with good players in order to keep the rest of the core entact. Shero has done a great job at avoiding this as long as possible, but it's come time to bite the bullet. At least they can still get assets for him, they will not be left with nothing to show for him. He's a nice piece of the puzzle for a team needing a pp qb, the Pens could potentially move into the top end of the coming draft or steal some wicked forward prospect, which will be a nice consolation prize for losing one of the very best offensive blue liners out there.

• Like 2

Geez, if *any* franchise can cope with the loss of Letang, it's the Pens. There might be a dramatic drop off as far as pts from d-men, pp etc, but over a short period of time, their vast array of d prospects will close the gap quickly. Plus, addition by subraction.....his replacement will be as good or better in their own zone.

This is the nature of the beast in having a team loaded with stars, eventually.....you have to part with good players in order to keep the rest of the core entact. Shero has done a great job at avoiding this as long as possible, but it's come time to bite the bullet. At least they can still get assets for him, they will not be left with nothing to show for him. He's a nice piece of the puzzle for a team needing a pp qb, the Pens could potentially move into the top end of the coming draft or steal some wicked forward prospect, which will be a nice consolation prize for losing one of the very best offensive blue liners out there.

This.

@jammer2

@B21

I'm all for getting some return in the form of a top notch winger or prospect, but I also see the Pens record when Letang isn't in the lineup. As I've said repeatedly here, they lose more games with him gone than Crosby OR Malkin. Martin had a great year this past season, but is he the guy you want there full time? Our young guys, including Depres, may turn into the guys you want in that spot, but until then, I'd rather have Letang around a couple years to guide them in their development. How many defensemen in the league are scoring over a point per game? One. Letang. Eighth in defensemen plus/minus, only 8 penalty minutes in 35 games, 7th in time on ice per game for defensemen... I'd like to see him a few more years I think. I'm not going to say it's the end of the world if he gets traded, but I also don't see where you just let him walk if he can be held onto for a number that works with the cap. This year he counts $3.5 against the cap... so is there really a hurry to be rid of him?

@jammer2

@B21

I'm all for getting some return in the form of a top notch winger or prospect, but I also see the Pens record when Letang isn't in the lineup. As I've said repeatedly here, they lose more games with him gone than Crosby OR Malkin. Martin had a great year this past season, but is he the guy you want there full time? Our young guys, including Depres, may turn into the guys you want in that spot, but until then, I'd rather have Letang around a couple years to guide them in their development. How many defensemen in the league are scoring over a point per game? One. Letang. Eighth in defensemen plus/minus, only 8 penalty minutes in 35 games, 7th in time on ice per game for defensemen... I'd like to see him a few more years I think. I'm not going to say it's the end of the world if he gets traded, but I also don't see where you just let him walk if he can be held onto for a number that works with the cap. This year he counts $3.5 against the cap... so is there really a hurry to be rid of him?

Problem is, he has great trade value now. You don't want to play him out next year, and lose him for nothing. If you have no intention of signing him after next season, NOW is the time to trade him, and learn to live without him next season.

@Polaris922

@jammer2

@nossagog

This year he counts $3.5 against the cap... so is there really a hurry to be rid of him?

There's some merit to that thought process. If you are Letang (asking for $7,000,000 per) and there is talk out of the Pens' camp that they may just let you play out the final year of your current deal, do you then decide to take a little less (say $6,250,000 per?) so as not to run the risk of injury or an off year prior to hitting the free agent market?

Problem is, he has great trade value now. You don't want to play him out next year, and lose him for nothing. If you have no intention of signing him after next season, NOW is the time to trade him, and learn to live without him next season.

If I was a Pens fan, I'd have a tendancy to lean this way also. I know he's a qualtiy player, but if he won't take 6 mill a year it might be time to move on. 7+ mill a year with the Sid and Malkin contracts is just way to much. Throw in Fleury and it makes the situation impossible. I guess Shero might have to weigh the advantage of trading him right now against the need of having him for next season at 3.5.....personally, I think waiting until trade deadline time might have his advantages....just like sitting on him and waiting for somebody to lose a few key defensemen in a week period (always seems to happen) and holding them over a barrel. His value is slightly tainted due to only being signed for one year, I suppose the new team could be given permission to negotiate a long term deal before the trade goes down. Not many smart GM's like to pay out the nose for a strict rental.